Author Topic: KORD runway changes - any upcoming AFCAD updates?  (Read 9155 times)

mikjet

KORD runway changes - any upcoming AFCAD updates?
« on: November 06, 2016, 04:34:20 pm »

Chicago's O'hare has some new runway assignments as shown --> http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1611/00166AD.PDF  

runway 15L/33R closed - now a taxiway.
runway 15R/33L  is now 15/33
East - west runways are:
9L/27R
9R/27L
10L/28R
10C/28C
10R/28L

Anything in the works?    ;)

Michel.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KORD runway changes - any upcoming AFCAD updates?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 10:03:37 pm »
You can't fix that with just an AFCAD update. New approaches must be made, taxiways must be remade, and the ground layout had many major changes.

We are remaking KORD from scratch, but it will be a while before we would be able to release it, since we just started.

sticky1202

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 01:46:36 pm »
So the work on the new KORD has started?

Jim

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:44:08 pm »
So the work on the new KORD has started?

That's what I've said.

ieydis

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2016, 11:47:53 pm »
That is really great news!  Been waiting a long time for this.

Thank you!!

CXA001

• Canadian Xpress Virtual Airline®
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 03:47:36 am »
Any update on this?

I purchased V2 today and installed it and my EFB was giving me warnings that the runways are out of date.

Regards,

VATSIM: P2|I1|SUP

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 10:35:57 am »
Any update on this? I purchased V2 today and installed it and my EFB was giving me warnings that the runways are out of date.

The last update was in November, which said we just *started* an complete remake of KORD, from the ground up.

We hope it wouldn't take as long ( 2 years ) as our last KMEM scenery but, unfortunately, considering users keep want better and better quality each time, I don't see how we could make it much quicker with an airport so big.

CXA001

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:41:01 pm »
I didn't realize it was such a big undertaking to change the runways.

Unfortunately, this renders this scenery pretty much unusable as the FMC and AIRAC cycles reflect the current runways. :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 08:06:44 pm »
I didn't realize it was such a big undertaking to change the runways.

We already did in 2011 (the scenery was released originally in 2008), and the update was entirely free.

Now, we simply decided that is not worth anymore keep updating a 9 years old scenery, because the technology has moved on, PCs are far more powerful, so we decided to redoing it from scratch instead.

Unfortunately, this renders this scenery pretty much unusable as the FMC and AIRAC cycles reflect the current runways. :(

Then simply don't use the latest AIRAC cycles. Maybe I'm saying something unpopular but, I really think it doesn't make any sense to subscribe to a service that will keep the sim updated to the real world, when your "sim world" is not updated too.

What's the point, really, of being in sync with "real world", when your "sim world" is not (and cannot be) updated with the same speed ?

It takes zero effort to publish an AIRAC cycle: once you paid a subscription to the appropriate services and you have the software procedures in place, it can be automated.

But it takes many months for any developer to do a *single* airport and there aren't that many scenery developers out there, which means hoping they will ever be able to keep up with real world is a losing proposition.

Your goal shouldn't be in sync with the real world, but with the scenery you can find/buy on the sim.

CXA001

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:16:55 pm »
Your goal shouldn't be in sync with the real world, but with the scenery you can find/buy on the sim.
I see your point, but VATSIM tends to be in sync with the real world. Furthermore, all my other scenery works fine with the latest AIRAC cycles, so it could be challenging to keep switching AIRAC cycles for one airport.

In any case, I am looking forward to your update for KORD, whenever that may be.

Kind regards,

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 01:21:50 pm »
I see your point, but VATSIM tends to be in sync with the real world

Well, they shouldn't. At least, they should consider the state of the available sceneries you can get in the SIM and not update when there's no updated scenery available anywhere.

Furthermore, all my other scenery works fine with the latest AIRAC cycles

That's just because none of your other sceneries have been in a constant state of change, like O'Hare has been through in the past years. And it's not going to end, not until the 2020s...

so it could be challenging to keep switching AIRAC cycles for one airport.

That's should be a task of those publishing and selling AIRAC cycles for using them in a SIM.

Suppose for a moment that NO payware/freeware sceneries ever existed so, in case of FSX, you would be stuck forever in the 2006 world. Would still make any sense to have Vatsim or whatever being constantly updated with the real world ? The only thing this would accomplish, would be making those services more and more unusable each cycle.

The real issue here, is the fact that, while those publishing AIRAC updates have a business/release model that can be entirely automated and with a very predictable release time, actual scenery development takes a very variable amount of time, which is entirely unrelated to that.

okupton

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 03:26:51 am »
Really looking forward to a new ord, however long it takes.