Author Topic: after latest addon manager installation bufferpools entry disappeared in fsx.cfg  (Read 4054 times)

kriggelb

Dear fsdreamteam-team,
I've read several posts regarding the effects on the fsx.cfg when installing your addon manager and I got the message that nothing is changed in the fsx.cfg as long as I actually save tweaks to FSX.
Now after installing the latest addon manager version found on your website I noticed that my [BUFFERPOOLS] entry in the fsx.cfg had disappeared.
At first I thought I had done something wrong, but after adding the respective entry and reinstalling the latest addon manger version it was gone again.
Could you please tell me the reason for that .cfg change? I can assure that I haven't touched anything else in FSX and there has been no other installation in the meantime.
I use FSX SP2.
Thanks in advance!
Kind regards,
Chris

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Could you please tell me the reason for that .cfg change? I can assure that I haven't touched anything else in FSX and there has been no other installation in the meantime.

That setting is confirmed to be dangerous and will cause crashes (not just to FSDT sceneries), see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13623.msg104730.html#msg104730

So we remove it while installing, since we cannot afford to have users being mislead the scenery crashes, when they have a setting that has been proven to be very dangerous, which of course it's the reason why FSX, by default, don't use it (it uses an internal value which is way higher than zero).

See this, directly from Microsoft:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ptaylor/2007/06/01/fsxtweak-of-the-week-or-2/

In RTM, the default setting was 1MB (1000000).  The lower this number, the more pools the allocator will have to rummage through to find space for buffers and the more stutters you may have.  In Sp1, we raised the default to 4MB (4000000) and optimized the underlying algorithm for finding free buffers.

So, setting it to 0 could be very dangerous, and it will hurt performances since the CPU will have to do more work, and it will cause graphic artifacts and possibly crashes, if the combination of scenery+airplane is taking a lot of VRAM.

Since we cannot just change it to a random value, the most sensible option is simply removing the section, so FSX will go back to default ( 4MB on FSX SP2/Xpack ).

Of course, if you are *sure* that tweak is good for your system, you can always put it back as it was.

kriggelb

Thanks for the clarification!
I just inserted this tweak as I have a new 4GB fast GPU and I want to put more load on it and less on the CPU.
Does the addon manager installer change anything else?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Does the addon manager installer change anything else?

It sets the Max texture size to 4096, and it ensures that skinned animation are enabled. Nothing else.

kriggelb

Funny - my texture max load is still at 2048, just where I want it to be.
Is "skinned animation" an additional entry within fsx.cfg?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Funny - my texture max load is still at 2048, just where I want it to be.

Only the installers of the FSDT sceneries that needs that setting to be 4096 will set it, the Stand-Alone Addon Manager will not.

Is "skinned animation" an additional entry within fsx.cfg?

It's should always be there, but if is mistakenly set to 0 ( it's called "Advanced Animations" in the FSX settings ), the GSX installer will reset it to 1, otherwise neither the human animations or the jetways will work.

kriggelb

Thanks a lot!!