Author Topic: Problems when installing latest Addon Manager  (Read 3366 times)

mathman64

Problems when installing latest Addon Manager
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:09:09 pm »
I have a new FS computer with the latest  P3D installed.  I am installing new software, and GSX is already working correctly.  I got a message to download the latest Addon Manager. I downloaded and tried to install this, but got errors messages at the point just after installing runtime files, when the window shows "Adding Addon Manager to DLL.XML"  shows in the background.   The error message is "Runtime error (at 150:2448).   Error line 1, position 46: switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported."   If I click on OK, I get the new message "List index out of bounds".  The background window then freezes and nothing happens, so I have to use the Task Manager to stop the process.
Is this like the case mentioned earlier where the DLL.XML file has been changed to a different encoding by a previous incorrect  installer.  I do not have ASN installed, so it cannot be that, but it might be other software.   Is the solution as described earlier
Thanks
KeithB   

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problems when installing latest Addon Manager
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 01:12:27 pm »
Is this like the case mentioned earlier where the DLL.XML file has been changed to a different encoding by a previous incorrect  installer.  I do not have ASN installed, so it cannot be that, but it might be other software.   Is the solution as described earlier

Yes, of course it's the same. ASN is the only product we identified after several users reports, but that doesn't mean there aren't any other bugged installers out there causing the same problem.

Or, it might also caused by having edited the file and saved it back with a text editor that changed the encoding without you realizing it.

Basically, whenever the encoding changes, the XML header MUST reflect match the encoding used, otherwise Windows (it's Windows itself, not just our installer: you couldn't open that file with Internet Explorer either) will consider it a corrupted XML.

kernel77

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 01:58:57 am »
What is the solution, I have the same problem, I have the version P3D v3.4. Please help.  ???

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 09:02:38 am »
What is the solution, I have the same problem, I have the version P3D v3.4. Please help.  ???

The solution to this problem, which is a XML file corruption caused by another defective 3rd party product (it was confirmed an OUTDATED version of Active Sky caused this problem, but there might be others around doing the same), is to open the XML file using a text editor that lets you change the file encoding, change to ANSI, and save it back.

An example of an editor that can do this, is the free Notepad++