Author Topic: GSX FSX:SE installation Error **SOLVED**  (Read 9067 times)

Dutchycheeshead

GSX FSX:SE installation Error **SOLVED**
« on: July 05, 2016, 07:58:00 am »
Hi all,
I recently decided to update GSX for FSX:Steam Edition and re-downloaded the addon installer, as it requested me to do with the auto-updater message I got.
However, when all the files have been downloaded and the installation is almost done, I get an error message saying "Internal Error:An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized." And now I cant update GSX whilst I really like the new update's features...

Does anyone have the same issues as me?
Or does anyone else know how to fix this strange issue?

Thanks in advance,

Thijs
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 05:15:57 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX FSX:SE installation Error
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:34:37 pm »
Be sure you run the installer from a real hard drive, and not from a network share.

SiverX

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 03:05:53 pm »
I do have the same issue.
I downloaded setup_addonmanager.exe and gsx_fsx_setup.exe, both ended up with the same error:

I executed the installer, selected "FSX SE" (path with mouse hoover is correct); browse sim is greyed out.
After the click on FSX SE a popop comes with "The product will be installed in: " (no more text).
After pressing OK, INSTALL, the downloader starts and ends up with:
"Internal error: An attempt was made to expand the "app" constant before it was initialized."

Any idea how to solve this one?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 03:14:28 pm »
After the click on FSX SE a popop comes with "The product will be installed in: " (no more text).

It seems your registry keys are pointing to the wrong (empty) folder. This happens if you removed FSX after installing FSX:SE with FSX installed so, FSX:SE is installed in "Dual mode", but there's no FSX anymore, but the FSX registry keys are still there, pointing to nothing, which is obviously a mistake.

Try to use this utility:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18872/fsx-tweakfs-registry-utility-v121/

To fix the registry keys.

SiverX

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 04:11:41 pm »
Hello

I tried the tool you recommended me, but still having the same issue.

I also read out the registry keys:
Code: [Select]
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0
    AppPath    REG_SZ    E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\DovetailGames\FSX
    Install_Path    REG_SZ    E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\DovetailGames\FSX
    Install_Path    REG_SZ    E:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\FSX\

All of them look correct in my opinion.

It's also quite strange that it do knows the correct path when hoovering the logo. Might it be possible that you are re-assigning any directory variable in the installer which results in this error?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 04:42:02 pm »
The problem is not your FSX:SE registry key. The problem is your FSX registry key which is still there, but there's no FSX anymore and it's pointing to an empty folder.

When there's no FSX anymore, FSX:SE should instead use the FSX registry keys. The FSX:SE registry keys are ONLY used when you installed FSX:SE *together* with FSX.

When FSX:SE is installed alone, it uses the FSX registry instead and NO FSX:SE registry keys.

So, if you don't have FSX anymore, the FSX:SE registry shouldn't exists and the FSX registry should point to the FSX:SE folder. This is what a normal FSX:SE installation should look like. You have wrong registry keys, because you installed FSX:SE and THEN removed FSX, leaving the FSX registry keys still there, but pointing to nothing.

As I've said, the correct situation with ONLY FSX:SE installed is to have the FSX:SE key REMOVED:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition\10.0

And the FSX registry key:

- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

Pointing to the FSX:SE installation folder. This is a CORRECT registry for an FSX:SE installed with no FSX.

SiverX

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 05:06:58 pm »
Thanks for letting me know, now I got your point.
But I still have FSX installed in parallel. Do I need to remove it to be able to install your tool for FSX:SE?
Thanks for your help

Dutchycheeshead

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 10:05:23 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.
I had a quick look but I have to go soon so I'll have a closer look when I get back later today (New Zealand Time).
I'll update you when I find out if it worked.

Thanks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 08:42:34 am »
But I still have FSX installed in parallel.

Then you must have some problem with the FSX registry keys instead.

Do I need to remove it to be able to install your tool for FSX:SE?

Surely not.

SiverX

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 04:50:07 pm »
Indeed, the registry-entry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER was missing.
The one on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE was correct.

Thanks for your help, the installer is now running!

jtbetteridge

Re: GSX FSX:SE installation Error **SOLVED**
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 07:39:32 pm »
I've just had the same problem after it's been fine for years.  Happened after the last update.  I've uninstalled and sorted out the registry paths etc, downloaded the full app which seemed to run fine, loaded FSX-SE, and GSX is not showing.  Done this twice to no avail.
Can you please advise if there's some other issue?  After running the install wizard GSX should just run shouldn't it?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX FSX:SE installation Error **SOLVED**
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 10:05:56 pm »
I've just had the same problem after it's been fine for years. 

You don't have the "same" problem. Not at all.

This thread was about the GSX *installer* not able to find the FSX:SE, because the registry key was missing. That doesn't seem to have anything to do with your problem, which doesn't to indicate you have any problems running the installer.

Please don't reply in this thread, that doesn't have anything to do with your problem, and has already been marked as solved. You have been already replied to in a more appropriate thread.