Author Topic: Stand alone manager  (Read 10383 times)

zoran

Stand alone manager
« on: June 08, 2016, 12:59:32 pm »
Didnt know where to post this. After updating to ORBX new ftx central I immediately got problems firing up FSX as have many others. Couatl is missing so I installed stand alone manager but got an error , see below

Any ideas how I can rectify?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Stand alone manager
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:41:27 pm »
It seems your XML file has been corrupted by that installer. I'm sorry for not being of more help, but it seems the OrbX forum is down at the moment.

Has the OrbX installer made a backup of the file as it were before ?

zoran

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:33:46 pm »
Thats ok I made a back up before I downloaded FTX central. I can get the file back no probs ,I will lose a few hours work but no big deal. I can take it from here and thanks for the reply

zoran

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 09:20:42 pm »
Ok well I have a problem.

FSDT has changed its path to my dll.xml (on steam)

FSDT used to be C:\Users\zoran\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  but  its now looking for C:\Users\zoran\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE      

Its looking for FSX-SE instead of FSX . I have a clean install of steam on a new SSD

ORBX central new version used the registry to migrate over the scenery and it looks like it changed something.

I was able to restore the dll.xml from a back up and FSDT works fine now BUT I can no longer install any FSDT products

Is there an easy fix ? I can reinstall my system from a back up but then ORBX central may just change it back again....

edit

so far FSDT seems to be the only product effected.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 09:38:18 pm by zoran »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 09:46:27 pm »
FSDT has changed its path to my dll.xml (on steam)

No, we haven't.

FSDT used to be C:\Users\zoran\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX  but  its now looking for C:\Users\zoran\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE

FSDT never "used" to be anything. It's FSX:SE that will decide which location to use, depending on its own "Co-existance" registry key, which is set by the FSX:SE installer.

- If that registry key is set to 1, it's because you still have FSX installed, so FSX:SE will use the FSX-SE folder under %APPDATA%

- If that registry key is set to 0, it's because FSX:SE is stand-alone, so it will use the same folders as FSX.

We obviously read that registry key, to know how FSX:SE is installed, but we don't dare to change it!!!

ORBX central new version used the registry to migrate over the scenery and it looks like it changed something.

Maybe this installer has changed it so now, every other installer out there that correctly relies on that key (like the FSDT one) will be mislead thinking you still have FSX:SE + FSX installed together.

If you only have FSX:SE, you should restore the registry key to the correct value of 0, so everything will work normally. If you are sure the OrbX installer changed it to 1 on a CLEAN FSX:SE installation with no FSX around, then it's best you report them of the bug.

zoran

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 09:49:49 pm »
I never installed box fsx on this new system. How can I restore registry to O? Thanks for your help

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 09:51:32 pm »
I never installed box fsx on this new system. How can I restore registry to O? Thanks for your help

- Open REGEDIT

- Find the "Co-existance" key located here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator - Steam Edition

- Set the value to 0

zoran

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:11 pm »
Thats strange the value is set to 0 already. Leave it with me their website is up and a ton of problems over there
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:21:21 pm by zoran »

zoran

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:14:51 am »
Problem resolved itself  ;D

case closed

zoran

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
Unfortunately I just tried to install a fsdt scenery and the problem is still there.

Everything else installs and works fine and here is the strange part, Flight beam installs fine and in fact gives me back Coutal so FSDT can work. I thought it was the same installer? maybe not anyhow its just FSDT that wont install. Here in the pic it shows my registry path and its not going to Steam but to Flight sim 10

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 02:21:39 pm »
The Flightbeam installer is not exactly the same as our very latest versions, so it's using the Co-existance key, and then it might be confused by having removed FSX after installing FSX:SE, which is FIXED in our installers.

In your case, it seems that something is changing the Co-existance key and set it to 1 (you said yourself the problem "fixed itself", so it's clear your Co-existance key was correct at some point, but then it changed), so our installer is mislead thinking FSX is there *together* with FSX:SE, so it must use the FSX_SE folder under %APPDATA%\Microsoft, which is not the correct one if there's no FSX.

You can activate logging in the installer, to see what’s wrong in your system.

- Open a command prompt  ( start -> CMD -> enter )

- go to the folder where you have the installer, for example:

CD c:\Users\Yourname\Desktop

Assuming you put the installer on the Desktop

- launch the installer with this command:

gsx_fsx_setup.exe /log=install.log

This should hopefully create a file named install.log on your Desktop, after you close it. If you have it, then send it to me.

zoran

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 02:33:59 pm »
Just so you know I thought the problem was solved because I just installed a lot of stuff after a ssd crash and didnt realize that it was flight beam that fixed the problem and thought FSDT just resolved itself.

Okay when I paste gsx_fsx_setup.exe /log=install.log into CMD it says its not recognized.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 02:45:02 pm »
Okay when I paste gsx_fsx_setup.exe /log=install.log into CMD it says its not recognized.

You pasted it wrong, or the installer wasn't in the folder you were running the command line from. Re-read my explanation carefully.

And, of course, the example refers to the GSX setup, if you are running another setup, you must change its name.

zoran

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 02:54:18 pm »
when you say installer you mean ad don manager?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2016, 02:57:33 pm »
when you say installer you mean ad don manager?

As I've said in my previous reply, the instructions about the command line were an example using the GSX installer so, if you are using another installer, the "gsx_fsx_setup.exe" will be instead the name of the installer you are using.