Author Topic: Wow - Congrats - The most amazing airport/scenery to date  (Read 7082 times)

Michael Moe

Wow - Congrats - The most amazing airport/scenery to date
« on: June 07, 2016, 11:03:44 pm »
I am a lucky guy with SLI GTX970´s and just did some test flight around with absolute everything on their highest settings (besides dynamic reflections) in P3Dv3.2 (A2A Texan)

Its truly amazing how this airport at dusk with these spectacular shadows come to life. I like the waving flags on the buildings as the sun go down etc.

And the HD textures is amazing. I cant tell why the 4096 is toned down in addon-manager but i have selected 2048 textures in Prepar3D.cfg and in grahic settings but its amazing.

Thanks for a first flight around this. Much more to explorer for sure

Michael Moe

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Wow - Congrats - The most amazing airport/scenery to date
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:31:52 am »
And the HD textures is amazing. I cant tell why the 4096 is toned down in addon-manager but i have selected 2048 textures in Prepar3D.cfg and in grahic settings but its amazing.

The Addon Manger texture size settings are disabled in P3D and FSX:SE because they are not needed, since the Simulator itself can go up to 4096 using its standard user interface (no need to manually tweak the .CFG), so there was no need for a duplicate function in the Addon Manager.

And thanks a lot for your comments. KMEM it's a scenery that surely works better if you have a fast video card, and use P3D, of course. We are barely using FSX nowadays...it's looking more and more like FS9 was some years ago: a platform full of existing stuff, but with no further space to grow.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 01:35:36 am by virtuali »

ipg1939

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 06:12:34 am »
Over 80% of simmers use FSX and 2004 still. Might want to re check your statistics. After that, Start working on making the scenery work better with us 80 percentile.

Thanks.

ipg1939

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:32 am »
We are barely using FSX nowadays...it's looking more and more like FS9 was some years ago: a platform full of existing stuff, but with no further space to grow.

Here. Ill help you out.  Below is the 2016 statistics from one of the biggest virtual airlines around.

Sim platforms used.
FSX      24,018 (74.0%)    
P3D      3,841 (11.8%)    
FS2004  4,166 (12.8%)    
FS2002  13 (0.0%)
XPLANE 397 (1.2%)

Thats 86.8% Using FSX and 2004.

11.8% running P3D......

I would rethink your above comment.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 06:27:03 am by ipg1939 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 01:40:27 pm »
Here. Ill help you out.  Below is the 2016 statistics from one of the biggest virtual airlines around.

That shows only what that particular virtual airline is doing. And it doesn't say anything about what users BUY. It's a similar situation like IOS against Android. There's no question Android is the leading OS in terms of number of users. But IOS apps make more money.

There was a recent poll on OrbX forum (which is currently down for maintenance), that painted a very different picture, with a surprisingly high P3D usage.

And same results from Aerosoft, where P3D is clearly in the lead for the ONLY statistic that a developer can be interested in, which is which simulator you PLAN to use in the next years, NOT the one you are using *now*:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/99711-what-simulator-will-you-be-using-end-of-this-year

I would rethink your above comment.

Please re-read it carefully, there's nothing to rethink about it. I've said:

a platform full of existing stuff, but with no further space to grow.

Full existing stuff means both there's a very large number of products available AND it's clearly still in the lead in user base TODAY Nobody is denying that.

But it takes many months and even years to make new products, so it would be wrong for us to base our plans on today's situation. This is what I mean when I said "no further space to grow". Do you see FSX user base GROWING ? Nobody in his right mind could think that, which is exactly what I've said.

Let's assume the following scenario for 2017-2018:

- Prepar3D v4 will most likely be 64 bit

- DTG Flight sim will *surely* be 64 bit, since the Flight School IS already 64 bit

- X-Plane is 64 bit since a long time.

Are you still convinced that I should "rethink" my statement about FSX not having further room to grow ??

From a purely technical point of view, FSX is already dead, especially the non-Steam version. From a commercial feasibility point of view, it will start to fall into oblivion the moment ALL other platforms will all 64 bit.

If you still don't believe this, think about Windows:

- Before Windows 7, almost nobody used a 64 bit Windows platform, most users were still running old faithful XP 32 bit.

- After Windows 7, which was the first 64 bit OS viable for everybody, the move towards 64 bit Windows was made not overnight, but VERY fast.

You don't have the faintest idea how *much* stuff we could do, and how much more reliable it could be, if we could use the native P3D SDK with ALL its features, which means dropping compatibility with FSX. Unfortunately, we cannot afford to do it NOW, but we will have to, sooner or later.

robains

• Beta tester
    • Rob Ainscough
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 06:29:22 pm »
FSX has declined considerably in the purchase of 3rd party content.  Statistics from Aerosoft, Orbx, and AVSIM show a very clear decline is FSX revenue.

FSX being popular on VATSIM, does not extrapolate to the "purchasing base" and that's what 3rd party are most interested in as that's how they survive.  VATSIM is a VERY small subset of flight sim users.  As I recall, a few VA's git in trouble from Mathis (Aerosoft) as he sponsored some VAs and it turned out they where pirating Aerosoft's products. 

Anyway, this thread was about the fantastic job Umberto and crew of developers have been able to do with some of the new features available in P3D and that is only going to continue to get better simply because "it can" as P3D continues to be developed and move forward, whereas FSX is a dead end with no development.

I'm glad we're starting to see 3rd party leverage some of these new P3D features and progress the platform, bravo to Umberto and crew for what they have accomplished.

Cheers, Rob.

ipg1939

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 08:01:09 pm »
Im done with this talk. Its going nowhere.

Just get Memphis to work with FSX Mr.FSDT and i will be happy. I would rather have it working and enjoy it, rather then getting a refund and getting it back.

avantime

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 09:44:31 pm »
IMO P3D has a distinct advantage with simmers who primarily flies GA aircraft. The base sim is better and payware GA aircraft/scenery is relatively easy to set up, and GA simmers tend to stay in one local area where AI traffic is unimportant. This is why I think Orbx, with its focus on GA airfields, does well in P3D. With airline-oriented simmers FSX benefits from having a ton of complex payware aircraft, scenery, AI etc. all under one roof, with the sim set up just how they like it. With that they can fly anywhere in the world in a few clicks. I think P3D (as well as FSX:SE) benefits from being 'new blood' that can bring in new customers, although the flight sim is a dying genre in mainstream PC gaming, with the exception of World of Warplanes and War Thunder.

The biggest problem I have with P3D is that it's a moving platform that can change quite substantially, potentially breaking compatibility. I'm thinking of the days of FS2000, FS2002 and FS2004 where a new sim would come out every 2 years, breaking everything and turning addon development into a never-ending rat race where simmers and their money would abandon the old platform as soon as the new one appeared. Those developers who took too long to develop could potentially find themselves releasing a product for an obsolete platform.

There were 3 breaks in the rat race - FS98 because FS2000 broke all the addons, FS2004 because FSX was an absolute disaster at launch, and FSX when Microsoft abandoned the Flight Simulator franchise. Those breaks allowed payware developers to take their time and build truly great addons. IIRC the FlightSimLabs A320 took 6 years to develop and IMO it would be much more difficult for them to develop for P3D, because the P3D code base is constantly shifting underneath their feet. Imagine someone taking 6 years to develop an aircraft for P3D - what will P3D in 6 years time look like? Also support for P3D requires constant patching (especially for aircraft) as new versions of P3D comes out. All this effort at patching is taking away development resources for new products. I think that sooner or later P3D will go 64-bit, and that will break most, if not all addons.

Finally I don't think LM top brass initially planned P3D as an entertainment platform, after all they're a defense contractor, not an entertainment company. There's always a distinct possibility that some random Senior VP would one day decide to shut off access to P3D for recreational users.

Wise87

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 10:35:55 pm »
I believe FSDT is doing a great job providing follow up support for FSX users. I see more one on one support here for figuring out what's causing some users to experience crashes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnla

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 11:10:16 pm »
I'd move to P3D from FSX Accel, there's no hostility from me, but there is no reason to yet. Other than a slight memory advantage, there is nothing really groundbreaking that P3D has that FSX doesn't. Sure it has more potential, but the potential is not here yet.

As soon as P3D comes out with 64 bit, you better believe I'm moving to P3D!!

Michael Moe

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 10:52:53 am »
I'd move to P3D from FSX Accel, there's no hostility from me, but there is no reason to yet. Other than a slight memory advantage, there is nothing really groundbreaking that P3D has that FSX doesn't. Sure it has more potential, but the potential is not here yet.

As soon as P3D comes out with 64 bit, you better believe I'm moving to P3D!!

Then it must a special version of Prepar3DV3.2 i am using because the differents between FSX DX10 and V3.2 is like day and night on my system  8)

But lets focus on the main topic .

Thanks alot for the innovative products Umberto  ;)

All the best

Michael Moe
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 10:54:48 am by Michael Moe »

Michael Moe

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2016, 07:17:14 pm »
Have you thought about VR like Oculus Rift/ SAmsung VR ?

Michael Moe