Author Topic: COUATL crashes upon start up  (Read 6644 times)

pdavies

COUATL crashes upon start up
« on: May 18, 2016, 07:12:21 am »
Hello -
I'm trying to run the KIAH scenery, but the airport buildings never load.  I also only see the addon manager, but no the couatl dropdown box.  Here's the error log:

couatl v3.0 (build 3187)
panic log started on Sat May 14 22:56:27 2016

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\LiveUpdate\__init__.py", line 29, in autoLiveUpdate
  File "couatl\LiveUpdate\__init__.py", line 95, in liveUpdate
  File "couatl\common\preferences.py", line 119, in _setPreference
  File "couatl\common\preferences.py", line 56, in writePreferencesToDisk
IOError: (13, 'Permission denied', u'C:\\Users\\Davies Family\\AppData\\Roaming\\Virtuali/CouatlAddons.ini')
{}

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Paul

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: COUATL crashes upon start up
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 08:51:43 am »
IOError: (13, 'Permission denied', u'C:\\Users\\Davies Family\\AppData\\Roaming\\Virtuali/CouatlAddons.ini')

Either you have:

1) A permission problem in your user folders, which is not normal, also considering the installer will correct wrong permissions...

OR

2) A bugged antivirus, mistakenly blocking the program from writing into its own proper folder.

Properly configure the antivirus to EXCLUDE the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe program from scanning or, even better (for performance reasons), exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning.

pdavies

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 05:36:00 am »
Hello -
So to clarify this is in P3D V3, but that's a negative on the anti-virus.  I've reinstalled with no anti virus and I've got the same problem.  Could this be competing with FSX somehow?  I say this because I installed KLAX in FSX but never really got it working.  That was right when I ported over to P3D.  Now esellerate pops up in P3D on startup asking for a valid activation code.  Could it be related?

Paul

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 09:08:34 am »
That was right when I ported over to P3D

Please clarify what do you mean with "ported over". Nothing, other the re-running all our installers under P3D and selecting P3D as a target in the installation screen is required to install into P3D. In fact, doing anything else (like manually installing or moving files) will SURELY result in the products not working.

Now esellerate pops up in P3D on startup asking for a valid activation code.  Could it be related?

If the scenery has already begin activated on your PC, it's normal it won't ask for a reactivation, if the P3D is installed on the same PC. Activation is totally unrelated to the installation or the sim the scenery runs under.

If you still have the same permission error, which I'm still convinced is LIKELY caused by an antivirus you are running (maybe without knowing it. Some users don't realize they have two antivirus active, like the default Windows Defender + a 3rd party), you can try this:

- Restart Windows

- Remove the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\CouatlAddons.INI file

- Reinstall

If you still get the same error after doing this, you can be sure IT IS the antivirus.

afr826

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 05:45:47 am »

If the scenery has already begin activated on your PC, it's normal it won't ask for a reactivation, if the P3D is installed on the same PC. Activation is totally unrelated to the installation or the sim the scenery runs under.

If you still have the same permission error, which I'm still convinced is LIKELY caused by an antivirus you are running (maybe without knowing it. Some users don't realize they have two antivirus active, like the default Windows Defender + a 3rd party), you can try this:

- Restart Windows

- Remove the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\CouatlAddons.INI file

- Reinstall

If you still get the same error after doing this, you can be sure IT IS the antivirus.

i tried this, making sure my real time protection was off, and even already had bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe excluded from previous issues, and am still having this same problem as described by pdavies

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 11:53:52 am »
i tried this, making sure my real time protection was off, and even already had bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe excluded from previous issues, and am still having this same problem as described by pdavies

If you really have the same, identical message, its meaning it's clear: you don't have a permission to write into your own local appdata folder. Since it's not normal you don't have permission to write in your own folder (it's under your user account for a reason), the most likely explanation, excluding very rare cases of file permissions corrupted on your system, is something that is preventing access to the file, and when this happens, it's almost invariably the antivirus.

Be sure you don't run two antivirus at once, like a 3rd party one and the default Windows Defender. Several users are in this situation without realizing it. In addition to be vary bad for performances, you must deal with excluding files in both products. But of course, the real solution is be sure you don't run two antivirus at the same time.

Some security products like anti-spyware or similar, in fact acts as additional antivirus in disguise, causing the same problems.

afr826

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:51:04 pm »

If you really have the same, identical message, its meaning it's clear: you don't have a permission to write into your own local appdata folder. Since it's not normal you don't have permission to write in your own folder (it's under your user account for a reason), the most likely explanation, excluding very rare cases of file permissions corrupted on your system, is something that is preventing access to the file, and when this happens, it's almost invariably the antivirus.

Be sure you don't run two antivirus at once, like a 3rd party one and the default Windows Defender. Several users are in this situation without realizing it. In addition to be vary bad for performances, you must deal with excluding files in both products. But of course, the real solution is be sure you don't run two antivirus at the same time.

Some security products like anti-spyware or similar, in fact acts as additional antivirus in disguise, causing the same problems.

If I am having the corrupted file permissions on my system problem, how would I go about fixing that? I've double checked that windwos defender is off, along with Avira, and made sure the required exclusions are present.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 07:11:12 pm »
If I am having the corrupted file permissions on my system problem, how would I go about fixing that? I've double checked that windwos defender is off, along with Avira, and made sure the required exclusions are present.

Right-click on the %PROGRAMDATA%\Virtuali folder, check Properties->Security, and see if your user account has read and write permissions to it, and to the folders below.

villaloha

• Canadian Airlines International
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 04:30:50 pm »
Hello Umberto.

Last week, you teamviewed my computer in trying to get my KIAH to work. You said "I am at a bit loss, can I get back to you in a couple of days." I figured that today is appropriate time to figure it out.

I've been eager to fly into KIAH lately!

Much thanks.

Darrell

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 08:55:56 pm »
Last week, you teamviewed my computer in trying to get my KIAH to work. You said "I am at a bit loss, can I get back to you in a couple of days." I figured that today is appropriate time to figure it out.

It has been a few hours since I already replied to your email with new instructions and a new version to try, you must have missed it.