Author Topic: Runway lights are (too) big  (Read 7633 times)

tk92

Runway lights are (too) big
« on: March 01, 2016, 09:57:52 pm »
Hello,

After I used all your airports in FS2004, I made the switch to FSX recently and I installed them in the new sim.
Besides FSX, I use Active Sky Next, DX10 (Fixer), REX 4 Texture Direct and Shockwave 3D lights.

On most airports, the runway lights at night are working perfect (FLL, ORD for example), but the lights at JFK and LAX are very big. When I look to the lights from the side, they are getting really big. I attached to images that shows the problem. Of course I tried different settings in REX and DX10, but nothing seemed to work, but I read a topic over here that stated the lights for ORD are default and for LAX they are custom.

Furthermore, the taxi ligths seem perfectly normal. I checked other airports from other developers, and most of them are good as well, except KATL 2016 from imaginesim, which has the same problem.

Maybe it is a setting in FSX, but I already unchecked the 'light bloom' setting.

Can you please shine your light on this?
Thank you very much for your support!

Kind regards,
Thomas

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Runway lights are (too) big
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 05:32:57 pm »
I attached to images that shows the problem

There's no problem in your screenshot, that's how the runway lights are supposed to look like.

Of course I tried different settings in REX and DX10, but nothing seemed to work, but I read a topic over here that stated the lights for ORD are default and for LAX they are custom.

That's why, nothing you set can change them, because they are entirely independent by any FSX setting or 3rd party texture replacements.

Furthermore, the taxi ligths seem perfectly normal. I checked other airports from other developers, and most of them are good as well

They are not "good", they are *default*, so they are handled by the sim in a different way.

except KATL 2016 from imaginesim, which has the same problem.

They probably used custom lights too, with the same (correct), method as we use, to optimize lights to be clearly seen in their *supposed* usage scenario, which during the approach, where they MUST be way more prominent than the taxiway lights.

Since FSX doesn't support HDR (high dynamic range), there's no way we could simulate a light being more bright (you cannot go higher than 255 level on a pixel), so the only way to make them more visible than taxiway lights when it *matters* (during the approach), is make them larger and/or with a larger halo, and manually optimize mip-maps for the distance, in order to prevent them to go away.

The runway lights in all our latest sceneries (from KDFW onward) are all being made this way, so we can get rid entirely of default ground polygons (used by most developers), which use old code from FS8, and are slower. And, we can do custom things with lights, like intelligent PAPIs ( FAROS ) or THLs, etc.

So, there's no problem at all, and the scenery looks like as it's supposed to.

You can have SOME control over their appearance, especially in the distance, by being sure you have Anisotropic filtering at 16x enabled in the Video Card Control Panel, which will ensure maximum quality mip-mapping.

tk92

Re: Runway lights are (too) big
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 07:53:59 pm »
Thank you very much for your answer. I didn't know it was done on purpose. I will check my NVIDIA settings and see how things look at 16x anisotropic filtering!