Author Topic: GSX Installation  (Read 5041 times)

jam6

GSX Installation
« on: February 24, 2016, 04:48:28 pm »
This problem I have is driving me nuts! I had to do some refurb of my computer and am re-loading a lot of software into FSX. All that has gone to plan with saved serial keys etc etc that is until GSX. I had previously uninstalled GSX and looking for a 'fresh start' I re-downloaded GSX which included the Add On manager. Installed it and checked Modules in the drop down in FSX.   The Add on Manager is there but that is all! Looked in the Add On manager and selected GSX and it shows it as being 'Active'. Not for me it isn't!  No access to menu options using Ctrl+F12 in the sim.
Don't know what to do next. I was half expecting to quote my purchase serial code number again when I re-downloaded GSX but I wasn't asked for it when installing. It's fair to say that when installing I got two error messages: 'Error when creating patched vehicles_airport restoring from back up' and 'There was a problem updating some sceneries please try again later' then something about 'Python.....which I didn't fully copy.
Is there something particularly difficult about re-installing GSX? Most major software, and I include GSX in this category, do not present any real issues and usually (re) install straighforwardly. Any guidance which may help me would be appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Installation
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:53:11 pm »
The Add on Manager is there but that is all! Looked in the Add On manager and selected GSX and it shows it as being 'Active'. Not for me it isn't!

Your problem doesn't have anything to do with the activation, which is working (otherwise the Addon Manager wouldn't say so). You don't need to reactivate anything, if you haven't changed hardware or reinstalled Windows from scratch, which explains why you haven't asked for a Serial Number, which is never asked while installing, BTW.

Your problem is just that one of the two required modules, the Couat scripting engine, is not starting on your system.

The most common case of this, is your antivirus having blocked it, mistakenly assuming it might be dangerous (it obviously isn't, it's an antivirus bug).

This thread indicates all the known solutions for missing menu items under the "Addons" menu:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,7545.msg62899.html#msg62899

The antivirus is the most common one, so start with that, otherwise try the others.

jam6

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:42:39 pm »
Umberto
thanks for your reply and link. I would have thought if the anti virus programme was working as it should be, and mine is, and it picked up a file it did not like, it would have popped it up either on initial scanning of the executable after download or during or after the installation, no? That would happen whether the file was a 'legitimate threat' or as it appears in this case a false positive?
I have followed to the letter and fully the method within the link as it refers to the problem with the anti virus issue and listed the two files mentioned as 'exceptions' within the programme. And still I have only the Add On Manager showing in the drop down menu in the sim!
The runtime solution is the next step I guess. The link to these files instructs the user to download three files but I see four! Which is it? Maybe two are duplicated because when I save the first to desktop and then the second in the list, I get the message do I wish to replace the existing file!!
I appreciate your help and my apologies for repeating this issue in the forum.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 11:06:28 am »
I would have thought if the anti virus programme was working as it should be, and mine is, and it picked up a file it did not like, it would have popped it up either on initial scanning of the executable after download or during or after the installation, no?

No. We have witnessed antivirus products that are so invasive, they block files even without any notification (unless you check the antivirus LOG ), and even when disabled, because their background service is still running. And of course, users running two antivirus at the same time without realizing it, like Windows Defender + a 3rd party one. Sometimes it might not easier to realize you use two antivirus, because some anti-spyware or similar products includes antivirus features, so they are also able to block files, which means you must configure them too.

I have followed to the letter and fully the method within the link as it refers to the problem with the anti virus issue and listed the two files mentioned as 'exceptions' within the programme. And still I have only the Add On Manager showing in the drop down menu in the sim!

Have you been ASKED permission to run Couatl after following the whole procedure ? Have you replied YES ?

The runtime solution is the next step I guess. The link to these files instructs the user to download three files but I see four! Which is it? Maybe two are duplicated because when I save the first to desktop and then the second in the list, I get the message do I wish to replace the existing file!!

If with "I see four", you mean in your Download folder, that seems to be the case. However, note that different versions of the VC++ 2005 installer have the same name, but they ARE different, so they must all be installed.

jam6

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 03:35:33 pm »
Yes I have said yes! So onward we go to the next step; this is fun...........sorry for the sarcasm but I really should be flying!

jam6

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 01:02:32 pm »
Well, that didn't solve the issue either. But wait! I had a non technical, computer dummy idea for no other reason than out of shear frustration. I looked in my archive record of installs and found an installation executable for GSX. I uninstalled my current GSX (everything) and executed this older downloaded  file thinking beyond hope that some friendly gremlin might just take pity on me and I was in luck. I now have all the necessaries to run GSX. Horay! Umberto my friend, I thank you for your guidance it's just stranger than fiction that my issue has been resolved in such a way. I remember when it all went wrong for me and that was when I did one of those updates .....no need to restrart fsx etc........and wondered, might there have been a connection? I have no doubt that you will put me right on that prognosis!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 10:58:50 am »
I looked in my archive record of installs and found an installation executable for GSX. I uninstalled my current GSX (everything) and executed this older downloaded  file thinking beyond hope that some friendly gremlin might just take pity on me and I was in luck. I now have all the necessaries to run GSX.

The old GSX required the VC++ 2005 runtimes, and installed them automatically. The current version don't, because they require the VC++ 2013 runtimes instead.

However, they are still required by Simconnect *itself* so, even if GSX doesn't require the VC++ 2005 runtimes, if Simconnect doesn't work (because of the missing runtimes), GSX won't work too.

However, the VC++ 2005 runtimes included with the old GSX installer that apparently "fixed" your problem, where exactly the same you were supposed to download and install yourself from the Microsoft site in the #2 solution of the above thread which indicates all the know solutions to the problem of missing menu items so, I really cannot explain why the problem was fixed by installing the old GSX installer, and not by installing the same runtimes manually.

Usually, it's exactly the opposite: installing manually should be more reliable than having them launched from the installer.

jam6

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 11:24:34 am »
I am enlightened, thank you. As I said previously, I did download the 2005 runtime files as the fix guide directed and installed them after uninstalling the existing files. I am happy that it is now running even with using the old installer. Just one last question, will I still receive the update menu in-sim? I hate using the term 'game'.  I thank you for spending so much time with my 'problem'.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 01:27:15 pm »
Just one last question, will I still receive the update menu in-sim?

No, the old version is not updated and supported anymore, and I strongly suggest updating to the current one, because we cannot support you if you don't use the current version.

It's possible that, fixing the VC++ 2005 runtimes issue, might result in the current version working as well.