Author Topic: Addon Manager, GSX, Flightbeam KSFOHD  (Read 11063 times)

jeffeven

Addon Manager, GSX, Flightbeam KSFOHD
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:09:10 pm »
Decided to finally purchase my first addon airport and chose Flightbeam's KSFOHD.  Followed all the instructions to the letter and not only do I have no buildings at KSFO I have lost my GSX and Addon Manager from my top menu.  Redownloaded everything making sure ALL antivirus software was off.  Reloaded and still the same problem.  Wouldn't mind just chalking up the Flightbeam purchase to a bad experience and going back to the original but must have my GSX back.

In going through the troubleshooting scenario I did notice that I do not have a bglmanx.dll file anywhere on my computer.  Could this be the problem?  Usually not this confused but this one has me puzzled.

Jeff Even
Rocklin, CA, USA

Vista Ultimate w/sp 2, AMD Phenom II X4 970, 3.5 GHz
8 GB Ram, 64 bit os, FSX, GSX,  RC, REX Tex Dir & Soft clouds,
ASNext, PMDG 737/47/777

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager, GSX, Flightbeam KSFOHD
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 03:05:45 pm »
Followed all the instructions to the letter and not only do I have no buildings at KSFO I have lost my GSX and Addon Manager from my top menu. 

Since the Flightbeam installers are made by us, and the contains, install and downloads exactly the *same* files from the same URL (our own server) as the one from GSX, so it's not possible this problem could be *caused* by the installer itself.

Instead, what might have caused this, is the antivirus blocking the installation and/or removing the file, because of an update to the antivirus itself.

In going through the troubleshooting scenario I did notice that I do not have a bglmanx.dll file anywhere on my computer.  Could this be the problem?  Usually not this confused but this one has me puzzled.

The bglmanx.dll file is installed in your FSX (or P3D) root folder.

Assuming you have the option to "see hidden and system files" enabled in Explorer (otherwise you will not see DLLs), if the file is really not there, it only confirms the problem might be caused by the antivirus.

It's not enough to "just" disable the antivirus while downloading and installing. Before launching FSX (IF the antivirus is indeed the problem) you should configure it to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\couatl\Couatl.exe

Or, better yet, exclude the whole FSX folder from scanning, which will give you a benefit in performances.

If, instead, the bglmanx.dll file is there (after reinstalling by properly configuring the antivirus), please confirm this, because the next troubleshooting steps will depend if it's there or not.

jeffeven

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 11:25:49 pm »
Thanks.  Re-installing now.  I'll let you know.

Jeff

jeffeven

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:45:17 pm »
Another quick question... I can't download the VC++2013 runtime file.  The installer just freezes.  Have let it run for 30 minutes and finally have to use task manager to close it.

jeffeven

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:57:11 pm »
No joy.  Still no bglmanx.dll found in FSX folder or anywhere on my system.  Excluded entire FSX folder from Anti-Virus and then turned it off anyway.  Did find another "real time protection" built into another program and had disabled that yesterday.

Still puzzled but really appreciate your help.

Jeff

jeffeven

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 06:30:05 am »
I sincerely appreciate your help but I think I'm just digging myself in deeper.

Eliminated all Anti-Virus real time protection
Re-downloaded KSFOHD, AddonManager and GSX
Re-installed all programs.
Excluded my entire FSX folder from real time anti-virus protection.
Started up FSX.  Still no Addonmanager or GSX on the top dropdown menu and still no buildings in KSFOHD.  bglmanx still does not show anywhere on my system.
Also everytime I re-install KSFOHD, AddonManager or GSX the install STOPS at the part where it installs VC++.  After waiting 30 minutes (dinner) I returned and it was still frozen.  The only way could proceed was to end it through taskmanager.
Why wouldn't it install?

I'm not a newbie.  I've been simming for over 20 years.  Just got stuck on this one.

Thanks,

Jeff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 11:29:50 am »
Try this:

- Download and install the VC++ 2013 installer from Microsoft:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=40784

Download and install BOTH the 64 bit version AND the x86 version. DO NOT download the ARM version.

- Restart Windows after you install it.

- Reinstall KSFOHD and GSX and report back if they still freeze when installing the VC++ runtimes.

jeffeven

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 02:29:06 am »
-Still freezes on the VC++ 2013 installation on both GSX and KSOFHD. 

-Also noticed something else weird.  When I reboot or shut down my computer I get a notification saying that vcredist_x86.exe is still running.  Never got that before.

J

jeffeven

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 02:02:11 am »
Well now I'm writing from my phone.  My computer won't start even in Safe mode.
What happened?!?

J

jeffeven

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 02:36:56 am »
Computer back up.  Don't know what the problem was.

jeffeven

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 03:33:19 am »
Now back to square one. 

-GSX still not working. 
-KSFOHD working but no buildings.
-GSX or AddonManager still don't appear in addon drop down menu.

I think I definately have a problem with the VC++.

I am honestly sorry to keep bugging you but, as you can tell, I am really frustrated.

Thanks again,

J

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »
Still freezes on the VC++ 2013 installation on both GSX and KSOFHD. 

You haven't said if you tried what I asked to do: downloading and installing the runtimes manually. Do you have errors or freezes while installing them ? Have you restarted Windows after trying to reinstall GSX again ?

jeffeven

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2015, 11:03:05 pm »
Yes, did all those things as you instructed.  Still freezes on RunTime install.

J

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2015, 11:27:39 pm »
Yes, did all those things as you instructed.  Still freezes on RunTime install.

Does it happen using the *current* version of GSX or the Addon Manager ? The one with the icons to select the sim startup.

jeffeven

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2015, 01:25:33 am »
Downloaded both from the FSDreamTeam "product" page at FSDreamTeam.com.  Assuming those are the latest.

J