Author Topic: Msvcr80.dll error  (Read 6742 times)

Hodge001

Msvcr80.dll error
« on: November 17, 2008, 07:09:51 am »
Hi

I was hoping that someone may know a solution to a problem that has just appeared, now I’m pretty sure that it’s not the FSDT scenery specifically that’s a problem, as they all performed perfectly up to the last time I flew into one (LSZH four days ago with the PMDG MD-11), but today for some reason I can neither load a flight to fly from or over fly any of the three scenery packages without FSX locking with the following error.

Msvcr80.dll offset 00050804

I can load a flight from any other airport, payware or default but if I try with KJFK, KORD or LSZH the scenery appears OK but then FSX locks and I get the above error, everything was as I say working fine four days ago, the FSDT add-on manager shows them to be all active, and I have not recently installed any other sceneries.

I have used the latest installers (as of 4:00AM) of all three of the airports to do a reinstall over the existing installations to see if that would help, and have also tried the stand-alone add-on manager without any change.

If someone could give me a hint as to what the error code could point to, I would be grateful.

Jim Hodkinson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Msvcr80.dll error
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 01:40:02 pm »
That error might be related to the Visual C++ runtimes. It might be fixed by reinstalling them but, this is what all our installers do, at the end of the installation, they launch the MS installer for the VC++ runtimes so, if they were missing or corrupted, that step should be able to fix them.

I've heard there might be some problems if you installed Visual Studio 2008. Have you ?

Another possible solution would be going in the Windows Control Panel, look for Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 runtimes, uninstall them all. Then, reboot, and launch again our Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer, that will restore them.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 04:50:17 pm by virtuali »

Hodge001

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:37:32 pm »
Hi Virtuali

Thanks for the quick response, and a pointer as to what may be causing this problem, unfortunately I don’t have Visual Studio 2008 installed.

I did remove all the entries for the Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 runtimes via the add/remove panel, and reinstalled using the KJFK installer downloaded this morning, and have also removed and reinstalled my video drivers, but it has not solved my problem, as I said I don’t think it’s a FSDT scenery problem as such, it must be something changed or corrupted on my system in the last four days.

The only big change I made to my system was to reinstall Norton Internet Security 2009, which had previously caused me some problems, but mainly to do with it treating any attempt at remapping keys as keylogger, but since installing the latest update that problem has been fixed, I have also added every executable in the FSDT folder to the trusted and allow list in Norton.

The only thing with the latest version of Norton is that I can’t temporarily disable all it’s services, only the anti-virus, I did ask the support team how to do this but Nortons support is not as good as FSDT’s and they have yet to get back to me, so other than uninstalling it I can’t really tell if that is a contributing factor.

Anyway, once again thank you for your help, as usual it’s been great, and if you have any other recommendations or hints as to a possible cause of my problem, please feel free to tell me any actions you want me to take to try and resolve my issue.

Jim Hodkinson

Hodge001

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 04:46:15 pm »
Hi

After 24Hrs of trying different thing I still get the Mscvr80.dll error when launching FSX with any of the FSDT sceneries, as I said in my first post, I don’t think that the sceneries themselves are the problem, but I have now run out of things to try, so any suggestions would be more than welcome (KJFK, KORD and LSZH are really boring without FSDT).

My system specs are.

AMD Athlon64x2 4200+ 2.2
2Gb Dual Channel memory
Nvidia 8600GT 512Mb
November release of DirectX
Nvidia 178.24 drivers
Windows XP Home Edition (fully updated as of today) on drive C
FSX + SP2  (not Acceleration) on drive D with full sharing and access rights.

Add-on sceneries to many to list, but they include Aerosoft, BluePrint, TropicalSim, FlyTampa and UK2000 sceneries.

Again as I said up to four or five days ago the FSDT sceneries, which were the first sceneries installed, functioned perfectly.

The one thing that I did notice when using the selecting any of the FSDT sceneries and clicking on Fly Now was that just before FSX halted with the now infamous mscvr80.dll message, was that in Task Manager (which I was running just to see what was happening) DxDiag.exe showed as a running process just around the time that FSX halted, is this process supposed to run when any of the FSDT sceneries are chosen, as I could be wrong but I have not seen this process activate in Task Manager with the other Add-on sceneries that I have tried.

Any and all suggestions are really more than welcome.

Jim Hodkinson

Hodge001

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 11:47:54 pm »
Hi

As I have not been able to rectify why I’m getting the mscvr80.dll error and lock up of FSX, I’ve decided to bit the bullet and uninstall KJFK,KORD and LSZH as these are the only scenery add-ons that have this effect on FSX, I’ve tested a couple of each of the other add-on sceneries that are installed on my system without getting the mscvr80 error, and I’ve updated everything that I can think of to update, WindowsXP, Norton Internet Security, C++ Redistributables, Dot Net Framework, Graphics drivers and DirectX, I even removed Norton completely before the last installation of the scenery just in case, but it has had no effect, so sadly in order to get on with the PMDB MD-11 tutorial which land at LSZH, so you can see that at present that could be a problem, I have to say goodbye to scenery packs.

Maybe I’ll try again if I can come up with a fresh plan of attack, or if somebody comes up with any better ideas than I’ve been able to come up with.

Jim Hodkinson

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 12:37:46 pm »
Does this error appear with a default airplane as well ? Because, several users (see the Avsim thread as well) are reporting crashes with the MD11:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=1215.0

I couldn't find any references around about this specific error code (are you sure of the address?), but this dll is very basic C++ runtime so, it might be related to memory management showhow.

Also, do you let Windows handle your memory, or you set the swap file size manually ? If have set it manually, put it back to default (which is swap file is handled by Windows), because under heavy memory requests, like using a complex scenery *together* with a very complex airplane, might exceed the swap file size and, it this is put on manual, it will not grow automatically as in the default.

Hodge001

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 07:56:16 pm »
Hi

Thank you for getting back, as for the aircraft used, it was the default trike, and the virtual memory is system handled.

As for the error address, it was the same every time, the one thing that I was wondering about, was that certain add-on scenery packages are known to amend the autogen files, now if this had an effect, I don’t really know, as I tried it with autogen turned off, but still got the same result.

I did notice that in the Windows\WinSxs directory that three folders exist with copies of mscvr80.dll, two folder contain mod numbers 8.0.50722.
762 and one that contains the dll that seems to be giving the error namely 8.0.50727.1433

At the moment mainly because I really want to have your scenery on my system, and I tried a repair of FSX which did no good, but I didn’t really think that it would, I have decided to do a complete reinstall of FSX, and this time as well as adding the FSDT scenery first, and assuming that I have no problems, I will fire up FSX and go to one of the airports after every add-on is installed, just in case another add-on is / was causing the problem.

As I mentioned in my first post up to four or five days ago everything was fine, as I had done the first tutorial for the PMDG MD-11 EGLL to LSZH with no problems, LSZH behaved as it has always done, perfectly.

Again thank for taking the time to get back, and with luck a fresh install SHOULD do the trick, I’ll get back with the results as soon as possible.

Jim Hodkinson

Hodge001

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:42:53 pm »
Hi

I have just reinstalled FSX, and the only add-on at the moment are LSZH, KORD and KJFK, and I’m extremely happy to report that all are functioning perfectly, it’s good to have them back.

I have not installed the MD-11 yet as I’m waiting for a new download link from PMDG, but as this particular add-on did not cause a problem before, I see no reason why it should now.

As I mentioned earlier, I will be installing all my add-ons and rechecking for any problems caused (hopefully none) after each add-on is installed.

Thank you for your assistance, and I hope that you don’t take this the wrong way, but other than ordering LSGG when it’s available, I hope that I don’t have to contact FSDT in the near future.

Jim Hodkinson