Author Topic: GSX Ground Services - Follow-me car  (Read 18334 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Ground Services - Follow-me car
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 06:45:16 pm »
The main issue, and I don't know how to stress this enough, is that this never ever happened before the latest update.

I don't understand why you keep repeating this: OF COURSE it never happened (and no, it hasn't even happened with the "latest" update, because the latest update didn't had anything to do with the Follow Me, maybe you mean the Couatl 3 update ?), the previous version didn't had this FEATURE (it's not a bug!!!) that correctly checks for an upcoming possible crash into the Follow me so it's obvious you never saw that message, since it wasn't even there to begin with.

So, again, as I've said in my previous message, it would be more useful if you provided me with a reply to my two questions. And possibly, a reproducible case on a *default* scenery using a *default* AFCAD.

saveriomangione

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 07:56:46 pm »
Both users and developers keep on stressing their own reasons .... But my question to the developer is: if so many people are reporting this strange behavior why not thoroughly considering their reasons? I've been trying to understand your replies to all users' concern since this thread was started but the main issue is that that car is still behaving strangely. Before this issue appeared i followed that car from close distance, far distance, accelerating and decelerating but it always drove me to my final parking area. Now this is not happening anymore and it's sad news becouse I do really appreciate your adds-on. Would it be possible to make it less realistic but at least more reliable? Thanks

bobsk8

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 09:14:43 pm »
Both users and developers keep on stressing their own reasons .... But my question to the developer is: if so many people are reporting this strange behavior why not thoroughly considering their reasons? I've been trying to understand your replies to all users' concern since this thread was started but the main issue is that that car is still behaving strangely. Before this issue appeared i followed that car from close distance, far distance, accelerating and decelerating but it always drove me to my final parking area. Now this is not happening anymore and it's sad news becouse I do really appreciate your adds-on. Would it be possible to make it less realistic but at least more reliable? Thanks

I just realized that I have the original installer that I got before this update. I think I will uninstall the update version, install the original version, and these problems that look as if the follow me driver has consumed a few bottles of wine while waiting for aircraft to land, should disappear.  ;) 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 09:22:29 pm by bobsk8 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 10:51:47 pm »
But my question to the developer is: if so many people are reporting this strange behavior why not thoroughly considering their reasons?

So far, nobody has produced any evidence the behavior is not as designed.

With "evidence", I mean:

- A reproducible case of something that looks like a problem, on a default scenery using a default AFCAD

- The approximate position when the Follow Me was called

- The approximate position when the problem happened

Nobody so far has been able to provide this informations, which makes for us very difficult to verify if there's really a problem with the program, or it's just not following the car correctly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 10:55:14 pm »
I just realized that I have the original installer that I got before this update. I think I will uninstall the update version, install the original version, and these problems that look as if the follow me driver has consumed a few bottles of wine while waiting for aircraft to land, should disappear.  ;) 

Wrong. Because if you do this, IF there is a problem, there wouldn't be any chance to get it fixed. Assuming there is one. Which is what I'm trying to assess, but I can't, if you don't supply all the information I asked:

A reproducible case of something that looks like a problem, on a default scenery using a default AFCAD, indicating the approximate position when the Follow Me was called and the approximate position when the problem happened.

The file you sent by email wasn't default, and your email didn't contained any description of the problem any way so, even if I tried to use it, I wouldn't know where to start reproducing what you did.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:26 pm »
And besides, do you know you can DISABLE the "Flee" function ? This option was there since the August 17th Live Update, see the Live Update release notes:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

The FollowMe "flee" function can be disabled by setting the followme_disable_flee = 1 line in the [GSX] section of the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini

And it was discussed on the forum too, here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12316.0.html

bobsk8

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2015, 03:19:45 pm »
And besides, do you know you can DISABLE the "Flee" function ? This option was there since the August 17th Live Update, see the Live Update release notes:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/couatl_liveupdate_notes.html

The FollowMe "flee" function can be disabled by setting the followme_disable_flee = 1 line in the [GSX] section of the %APPDATA%\Virtuali\Couatladdons.ini

And it was discussed on the forum too, here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12316.0.html

I read the entire thread about disabling the flee function. Apparently, according to the thread,  it only works when you get the message about an unsafe condition, which I never have gotten. I inserted the line in there anyway, but don't have much hope that it will solve the problem that I and other users have been having since the last update. The next time it happens, I will record all the details and send you an email. I have gotten to the point now, that when I land, if the ramp is fairly close to where I am, I don't even bother with the follow me car, I just taxi there myself.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2015, 03:55:41 pm »
I read the entire thread about disabling the flee function. Apparently, according to the thread,  it only works when you get the message about an unsafe condition, which I never have gotten.

You are not the only one that posted here. And several users that posted here said they HAD the message about the Follow Me aborted for safety reasons. One of them even posted a screenshot with the message.

So, to the benefit of others, I included the reminder about the ability to disable that feature.

If you haven't got any message, it's the other case of evasive maneuvers , the one when you simply get too close to the car. This cannot be disabled, because it doesn't interrupt the service.

But of course, if you think you are not in either of the two cases, we can check with the information you said you are going to provide.

saveriomangione

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2015, 09:50:56 pm »
Well, I finally made it!!!  :) I've just landed in Instambul and the follow me car took me safe and sound to my parking area ... As I was used to be doing before all this mess ... Now it seems to be working again ... Any adjustment to the programme? I hope it's fixed now.  :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2015, 03:13:10 pm »
it seems to be working again ... Any adjustment to the programme? I hope it's fixed now.  :)

We haven't changed anything to the FollowMe, you just followed it better now.

bobsk8

« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2015, 03:16:18 am »
Well what I have discovered, is that the follow me car, seems to frequently stop, usually where the taxi lines go in different directions. I then very slowly go closer while it is stopped, until it starts to move again. I think I am much too close to the car at this point, but if I creep up at a couple of miles per hour,  eventually it starts moving again and then eventually accelerates to normal speed. So far , in doing this, it has led me to the ramp each time.

Raphael

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2015, 09:48:48 pm »
Well,

Im starting to fly again and lest test it, i heard about another update and read some users with positive feedback. 

Virtuali, when you said i was too close, remember im waiting the car stopped and as soon as i push the throtles to advance, the vehicle stops and goes crazy, some tomes it does, sometimes it doesnt.   I can not control how close the FM Car arrives to my position, and neiter the strange behavior when it returns 180 degrees and goes back even when my arcft is barely moving...   This happens as soon as it arrives, i have no chance to leave it go forward ahead.....   

Anyway, as adviced, i will try waiting for a longer distance before throtle up to follow the car and see what happens(Of course, if the FM Car doesnt stop in front of me right away).         Will try some things after the new update and let you know...

Thanks...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:55:26 pm by Raphael »

bobsk8

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 03:41:31 pm »
Well,

Im starting to fly again and lest test it, i heard about another update and read some users with positive feedback. 

Virtuali, when you said i was too close, remember im waiting the car stopped and as soon as i push the throtles to advance, the vehicle stops and goes crazy, some tomes it does, sometimes it doesnt.   I can not control how close the FM Car arrives to my position, and neiter the strange behavior when it returns 180 degrees and goes back even when my arcft is barely moving...   This happens as soon as it arrives, i have no chance to leave it go forward ahead.....   

Anyway, as adviced, i will try waiting for a longer distance before throtle up to follow the car and see what happens(Of course, if the FM Car doesnt stop in front of me right away).         Will try some things after the new update and let you know...

Thanks...

Sometimes when the follow me car pulls up to my Q400 which is a small aircraft, it stops about 30 feet away, then just sits there until I start to move towards it. The trick is to move maybe a foot or two and see if the car moves, before going further. Very small movements of throttle and dragging the brakes seems to work, until the follow me car gets up to speed.

bobsk8

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 11:27:30 pm »
Update on the follow me car issue. Since I have been using my new method, I have zero problems with the follow me car.

1. When the car pulls up to your aircraft, it may be very close, as it makes a you turn to lead you, and then it will stop. It is waiting for your aircraft to start moving toward it before it begins it's trip to the ramp. When you start your aircraft, go very , very slowly until the follow me car starts rolling. If it slows town at a turn or intersection, make sure you slow way down too, so you don't run too close to it. As long as you keep your distance, once the car is rolling, it will lead you to the ramp each and every time.    :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 11:33:53 am »
As long as you keep your distance, once the car is rolling, it will lead you to the ramp each and every time. 

Thank you for the report.