Author Topic: Selection of aircraft handling company  (Read 5452 times)

TheCookieMonster

Selection of aircraft handling company
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:07:40 pm »
Hi,

there is a small "issue" or thing that I would like to have improved, it would be great if you could help me.

Example:
PMDG 737WL
B27 @ SFO (FlightBeam)
Aircraft.cfg reads like this "atc_parking_codes=SWA"

However GSX still asks me for the handling operator (so I need to confirm what I wanted before anyway). Is it possible to modify GSX in a way that it first looks for the handling operator specified in the aircraft.cfg parking codes (if specified) and - if available - skip the operator selection box?

Thank you very much for this great tool! :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Selection of aircraft handling company
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:21 pm »
As explained in the manual, and as discussed many times on the forum too, the atc_parking_codes of the airplane you are flying don't have any effect on the ground operator.  The ground operator is something that is related to the airport itself, and it would be very unrealistic, if you could be able to have your own ground crew everywhere you go.

The atc_parking_codes that have effect on the ground operator chosen are those of the scenery, as defined in the AFCAD.

TheCookieMonster

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 04:51:39 pm »
Sorry, I might have explained that in a misleading way.

Just tested it with position B25 with has SWA included in the AFCAD parking code, my aircraft has SWA only as parking code assigned - still GSX asks me for the handling operator.

My question was: if the aircraft cfg parking code matches the AFCAD gate parking code, why not skip the selection box in that case?

If this is currently not implemented, please regard it friendly suggestion and not as bug report. ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:53:21 pm by TheCookieMonster »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 05:33:05 pm »
Just tested it with position B25 with has SWA included in the AFCAD parking code, my aircraft has SWA only as parking code assigned

As I've said, the parking code in the airplane doesn't have ANY effect on the choice of the operator.

still GSX asks me for the handling operator.

That's how it's designed to do: it will display all the operators that match the airport with the highest score.

My question was: if the aircraft cfg parking code matches the AFCAD gate parking code, why not skip the selection box in that case?

No, because it's wrong looking at the airplane code.

If you land on an overseas airport which has your own parking code in the AFCAD, because your airline is supposed to park there (or it does code sharing flight with a partner local airline), if we tried to match your own airline code, you will see your Home airline ground crew everywhere in the world and you would not see the (correct) local ground crew instead, without any chance to get it, because of your suggestion to skip the selection menu.

AirbusA330

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 11:16:28 pm »
Hello,

at this point i'd like to say thank you for the selection feature. It made the GSX experience a lot more realistic. Now I can choose the right ground handler on every airport. I do a lot of long haul flights, and for those this feature is very important.

@TheCookieMonster: I can understand you, too, but I think it is not too much work to select SWA when you arrive on an airport. It's just one button press on your keyboard.

mroschk

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 11:14:16 pm »
As I've said, the parking code in the airplane doesn't have ANY effect on the choice of the operator.

but should have. Makes sense.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 11:49:23 pm »
but should have. Makes sense.

No, it shouldn't. And it will make NO sense if it did.

As explained in the manual, in the PaintKit documentation, and so many times on the forum, it's just wrong the GROUND crew would have any relationship with the airline you are flying. The ground crew is a service offered and related to the AIRPORT so, it's obviously related to the airport only.

If the livery you are flying affected the ground operator, it would result in the absurd situation of having your own airline crew following you everywhere you go "just" because that parking spot might have your airline assigned to (because your airline is supposed to park there), but that doesn't mean they have a local presence on that airport!

The livery you are flying, instead, affects the logos on the ULD containers. And this is also correct, so you won't end up seeing containers from one operator when you depart, and *different* containers when landing, because on the landing airport the operators might be different. So the airline you are flying, correctly affect the ULD containers ONLY.