Author Topic: GSX Appears in addon List but Crtl + F12 does nothing  (Read 2992 times)

CaptBmckay

GSX Appears in addon List but Crtl + F12 does nothing
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:53:04 pm »
Greetings,
      After the most recent update I notice the program is having a hard time regenerating Scenery indexing. The only way for me to get the program to work is to manually delete the Scenery Index folder and to delete the couatl folder. If I change make a change in the scenery library I have to delete the folder again in order to get it working. Is there a hotfix being worked on for this issue? Again this issue started after I updated to the latest version. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 05:07:25 am by CaptBmckay »

Speedbird ATC

Re: GSX Appears in addon List but F12 does nothing
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:10:17 am »
The button to activate GSX is CONTROL F12 not F12 lol. Hope that helps!

CaptBmckay

Re: GSX Appears in addon List but F12 does nothing
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:06:42 am »
lol I actually meant Crtl F12. Thanks for the technicality

detheridge02

Re: GSX Appears in addon List but Crtl + F12 does nothing
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:16:19 am »
I have the same issue. I've updated to the latest version of GSX. After installation the GSX window is displayed and all is well. The next time I go into the sim the menu options are there but don't show any windows. The 'refreshing cache' message also doesn't appear. None of the GSX menus show anything or do anything, however the airports (KORD,KJFK and KLAX) all show correctly.
If I exit FSX, reinstall GSX and restart FSX all is well again.

I use FSX:SE with Windows 10.

Thanks for any help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 09:45:06 am »
The only way for me to get the program to work is to manually delete the Scenery Index folder and to delete the couatl folder. If I change make a change in the scenery library I have to delete the folder again in order to get it working.

Try the suggestions indicated in other threads, to exclude the whole sim folder from the antivirus scanning.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 09:57:28 am »
I have the same issue. I've updated to the latest version of GSX. After installation the GSX window is displayed and all is well. The next time I go into the sim the menu options are there but don't show any windows. The 'refreshing cache' message also doesn't appear.

You don't have the same issue. The OP said he had to manually remove the scenery cache folder in order to trigger a new cache regeneration after changing something in the Scenery Library.

Your problem, according to your report, is that GSX has inoperative menus the second time you start the sim, which is a very different issue.

It's not clear, from your report, if:

- You were expecting to see the "cache regeneration" message, because you HAVE changed something in the Scenery Library, which is normal.

OR

- You were used to always see the "cache regeneration" message, even if you never changed anything in the Scenery Library, which is NOT normal.

If you haven't changed anything in the Scenery Library, you are supposed to see the "Airport cache loaded" message instead.

If a cache regeneration which was triggered by a change in the Scenery Library in a previous sim session didn't complete, because either you quit the sim before allowing it to end and/or your antivirus made it the process to be abnormally slow, the program will try again to regenerate the cache, until the process completes, which will result either in a "Cache regeneration completed with success in xxx seconds" or a "Cache regeneration completed with failure in xxx seconds", with some kind of error indicating the reason of the failure in the Couatl.log file.

As explained in other threads about this, the first thing to do is to exclude the whole sim folder from the antivirus scanning, because it might slow down the cache regeneration A LOT (more than 10x), so you might close the sim before allowing it a chance to end.

And, check if the Couatl.exe closes correctly after you close the sim. If you restart the sim too quickly without allowing it to close all the executables it has started, a previous instance of it from a previous session will not be able to connect with the sim and will be stuck.

An user found that other 3rd party products, like the IVAP client, prevent the sim from being able to close couatl.exe automatically. That doesn't mean if you don't have IVAP this might not relate to you, because there might be other addons that might cause this we still don't know yet.