Author Topic: dll.xml error during GSX install in FSX-SE  (Read 3810 times)

FlyingAce

dll.xml error during GSX install in FSX-SE
« on: June 04, 2015, 06:33:17 am »
Hi, I'll start by saying that I'm well aware that there are tons of posts on the various dll.xml errors, and I've read them but couldn't find anything pertaining specifically to my problem (unless I'm totally blind). So, for those forum veterans who get impatient and irate when newbies, like myself, post yet another thread on this topic, to those people I say this: If you got nothing constructive to tell me, then please ignore this post and move on. However, if you choose to be kind and can direct me towards the solution, it would be greatly appreciated. Now for the problem...

• When I installed GSX, I got the error you'll see in the attached file setup1.jpg. Immediately I saw the problem. The installer is assuming I have both the FSX box and the SE versions installed because only then does the path C:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\ exist. In my case, I only have the SE version installed and hence the path is actually C:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\. The installer is looking for a folder that doesn't exist. But the dilemma is that it doesn't give the option to tell it what the correct path is.
  • After cliking OK, another dialogue box popped up (see setup2.jpg). To that one, I clicked YES although I have no idea how it determined the file was corrupted since it couldn't find it in the first place.
  • Then, a 3rd dialogue box appeared (see setup3.jpg). I searched in C:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\ to see if a new folder called FSX-SE was created and there was none and neither was dll.xml.addonmanager.xml. So, I decided to backup my dll.xml file just in case. Then, I proceeded to click OK.
  • Yep, you guessed it. Another error box mysteriously appeared out of thin air (see setup4.jpg). Naturally, I clicked OK, not that I had any other choice.
  • Guess what happened next! If you guessed nothing, sorry to disappoint. If you guessed another error box, then, you're the winner and you get to choose the prize behind either door #1, #2 or #3. See setup5.jpg
  • Again, OK was the only option, so I clicked it while praying this would be the last one.
  • Well, my prayer was answered. No other dialogue boxes appeared, however, the original dialogue (setup6.jpg) that was underlying all those annoying errors became visible. I thought to myself "great! The installation will now continue!" But no, couldn't be so lucky. Instead the install process hung and I had to use CTL ALT DEL to shut it down.
  • Then, being the curious fool that I am, I decided to run the install again hoping to get a better result the 2nd time around. And I did, but only because I clicked NO this time when it asked me if I wanted to create a new dll.xml file. But wait! We're not done with the dialogue boxes! Not yet!
  • And this brings us to setup7.jpg which said that now there is an error on line 0, position 0 in C:\Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX-SE\exe.xml. It seems this install is a very slow learner. It's still looking for a path that doesn't exist. I guess it didn't learn from the first time this happened  ;)
  • Again, I clicked OK and the installation completed without anymore hitches. Thank God!

I haven't started FSX-SE yet since all this happened and I'm not sure if I should, although all the .cfg files in C:\Program Files (x86)\...\FSX\SimObjects\Misc\ appear to have been added. So, my question(s) is....

What do I do now? Do I assume the install worked the second time around and go on as usual? Or, is there a solution that you kind people know of and are so anxious to share with me? I'm guessing if there is a solution, it probably has something to do with editing the dll.xml and exe.xml files manually. Or not. I'll leave it up to you experts! :)

Thank you all for taking the time to read my rather long but interesting story. Happy flying!

Cheers,
Tony B.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 10:12:37 am by virtuali »
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: dll.xml error during GSX install in FSX-SE
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 10:12:05 am »
I'll start by saying that I'm well aware that there are tons of posts on the various dll.xml errors, and I've read them but couldn't find anything pertaining specifically to my problem (unless I'm totally blind).

Already been discussed here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11478.0.html

and here:
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11322.msg89158.html#msg89158