Author Topic: Addon Manager - File Corruption and SimConnect.dll error messages **SOLVED**  (Read 8399 times)

Peter M

Hi, this is my first post, so please excuse if it does not follow a correct procedure.
After losing the Airport Buildings and Addon Manager Menu Entry, I decided to run the stand alone program. This comes up with a corruption message for both the dll.xml and the exe.xml. FSX then crashed on startup. However, the files are not corrupt and provided I remove the Addon entry from the dll.xml file, then FSX runs all other programs/addons without issue. The error message for both files is 'Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported'. After many goes trying different approaches I now have FSX running with the Addon entry in the dll.xml file. However I get an error message saying there is a problem with the 'bglmanx.dll file. Choosing to run it crashes FSX. There is a second message saying: The procedure entry point SimConnect_Text could not be located in the dynamic link library Simconnect.dll. I presume that this is because the Stand Alone Addon Manager program cannot install files correctly, due the above corrupt file problem. I did try deleting one program, namely GSX, including Addon manager etc. I then installed it again and this has helped get me to the current position i.e. FSX runs, provided I don't try to load BGLmanx.
I suspect my problem may have started with Norton 360 removing files, even though they are marked 'Do Not Scan'. However, this has happened before and recovery was simply a question of replacing the files and swearing at Norton!
Hope this all makes sense - Regards Peter
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:34:26 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager - File Corruption and SimConnect.dll error messages
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 09:50:49 pm »
However, the files are not corrupt and provided I remove the Addon entry from the dll.xml file, then FSX runs all other programs/addons without issue. The error message for both files is 'Switch from current encoding to specified encoding not supported'. After many goes trying different approaches I now have FSX running with the Addon entry in the dll.xml file.

This problem doesn't have anything to do with our installers. It has been discussed here already, and it was found the original cause of the XML file corruption was ASN, as reported by an user in this thread:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11834.msg90536.html#msg90536

The issue seems to have been reported to ASN developers, so they FIXED their product in the latest Beta, so it won't change the XML file encoding in the wrong way anymore.

However I get an error message saying there is a problem with the 'bglmanx.dll file. Choosing to run it crashes FSX. There is a second message saying: The procedure entry point SimConnect_Text could not be located in the dynamic link library Simconnect.dll. I presume that this is because the Stand Alone Addon Manager program cannot install files correctly, due the above corrupt file problem.

The 2nd message doesn't come from any of our products, it LOOKS like a message from FSUIPC, because it's known to dynamically link for specific procedures in the Simconnect.dll

If FSUIPC cannot find functions in the Simconnect.dll, it means you have a SERIOUS problem with Simconnect, which is the CAUSE of the issues with the Addon Manager, not the other way around. Your issue with the XML files was just an additional issue, which can be easily fixed, but not the main one.

So, your real problem doesn't seem to have anything to do with any of our products, which instead are AFFECTED by a problem with your FSX install, an issue with Simconnect, which seems to be affecting BOTH our modules AND FSUIPC. Note that, none of our modules use, requires or interact with FSUIPC, just the Simconnect issue is affecting both, since they both obviously need Simconnect to work.

You can TRY an FSX SP2 "Repair" (NOT REINSTALL) option, that will hopefully fix Simconnect.

Peter M

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 12:18:28 am »
Firstly, thankyou Umberto for the prompt and detailed reply. Later today I will try the fixes and let you know the outcome.
Best regards,  Peter

Peter M

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 01:32:52 am »
Hi Umberto,
I changed the file headings and Addon manager installed without issue. The first time I ran FSX it came up with the BGLmanx warning, but not the Simconnect one and did not crash. Subsequent FSX start-ups were without any error messages, so I can again enjoy your scenery products.
Thank you for you expert help.

Best regards,  Peter