Author Topic: Disappearing pushback vehicles  (Read 2430 times)

kevinfirth

Disappearing pushback vehicles
« on: May 05, 2014, 02:27:46 am »
I seem to suffer from a very annoying problem in that I use TrackIR, and when I move my viewpoint ever so slightly in the virtual cockpit the pushback tug vanishes.  It reappears when the viewpoint is changed again but I don't seem to see any discernible pattern to how.  I originally bought GSX 2 years ago and this problem made me ditch it.  Now I've come back to try it again and its still there, in this case with the q400 at EGNX.  The top pic shows how it starts off, the bottom pic shows a second later when the viewpoint is slightly lowered - no other changes.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i432/kevinfirth/gsxdisappearingpushback_zps50c30168.jpg~original

My GSX is updated to the most recent version and EGNX does have a GSX profile which is in use provided by UK2000
Any ideas please?

Thanks
k
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 10:22:07 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Disappearing pushback vehicles
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:44:38 am »
I originally bought GSX 2 years ago and this problem made me ditch it.  Now I've come back to try it again and its still there, in this case with the q400 at EGNX.  The top pic shows how it starts off, the bottom pic shows a second later when the viewpoint is slightly lowered - no other changes.

Well, you shouldn't expected this would automatically fix itself after one year, because it's not obviously a GSX problem. It's an automatic optimization that FSX does, to remove objects that it judges to be occluded by something else.

If you change it to go closer, by leaning forward the screen with the Track IR, FSX will *think* the objects should not be visible anymore, and doesn't draw it anymore.

The problem doesn't happen just with GSX, of course, it happens even with default jetways, and any object that goes very close to your viewpoint, it's just there aren't so many objects that gets the chance to get so close to your airplane as the GSX one (especially the pushback), so you can be easily mislead this has anything to do with GSX, but it's not, and we don't have any control over it.

You can TRY this, open the following file with Notepad:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX\Cameras.CFG

- go the camera definition (es. [CameraDefinition.002] ) with title="Virtual Cockpit"

- add the following line to its section, just before the next camera definition:

ClipMode=Minimum

- Save the file and see if it makes any difference. If it doesn't, try with ClipMode=Normal, which is the default setting.

kevinfirth

Re: Disappearing pushback vehicles
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 02:42:57 pm »
Many thanks for the tip.  I originally thought it may have been a GSX glitch which might have been fixed in the intervening period, but obviously not.  I appreciate the tip though and I'll give that a shot to see if it makes anymore difference.  failing that I guess the best workaround will be to pause TrackIR during pushback to see if it still occurs with fixed camera xyz co-ords...

No offence meant with my previous comment, I just didn't need GSX enough before to invest the time in posting a support question. Thanks for the quick response here now :) K