Author Topic: Launching FSX via other application  (Read 4133 times)

iwn

Launching FSX via other application
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:06:17 pm »
Hello,

After three years of more or less care free FSX installation I ended up with only the uninstall option left. Reason was undetected, but believe me I tried everything.

Now when I'm slowly getting everything back as it was I'm going to pay special attention to FSDT products installation in order to avoid the minor annoyances with them before.

I spent more than hour now to go through these forums to check out possible traps and one thing came afore.
In one post at GSX subforum it was adviced to launch FSX from its original icon, but I always launch it via Active Sky as recommended in its manual. Maybe this was the reason that the couatl quite often did not start...

So what options do we have in this regard? Fly without real weather and have couatl or fly with real weather and have no couatl?

Another question concerns GSX only so I better drop it there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Launching FSX via other application
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:58:36 pm »
So what options do we have in this regard? Fly without real weather and have couatl or fly with real weather and have no couatl?

You said that Active Sky "recommends" to launched FSX through it, but what happens if you don't ? Does the program stop to work ?

Forcing to start FSX as a sub-process of something else is a VERY questionable method, and I can't think of a reason why a program would absolutely need to do that.

If Active Sky still works when launched separately, you have the answer to your question.

Couatl.exe, of course, does the standard thing as suggested by Microsoft, which is using the EXE.XML file to let FSX launch itself, which is how FSX add-ons are supposed to be launched, not the other way around.

iwn

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 12:22:49 pm »
Ok, I' ll check it still at HiFi forum and report back here.

DrJ1

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:18:32 am »
I have Active Sky 2012.  It runs just fine launching it first then FSX using the FSX icon.    Make sure you allow active sky to download and synthesize 1st before launching FSX