Author Topic: Couatl.exe based error leading to dysfunctional gsx  (Read 3420 times)

pijnackerpilot

Couatl.exe based error leading to dysfunctional gsx
« on: March 30, 2013, 10:44:27 pm »
Hello all,

I have been enjoying gsx for some time now and I love it. However, I currently have some issues with it. Despite that gsx is installed, it is not working. The gsx menu does not appeat after entering the shortcut key combination (alt and f12, in my case). Additionally when I check my add on menu within fsx, there is no couatl powered products option. I noticed the other day that when I started fsx, there was an error message stating that there was a fatal error with the couatl.exe file.

Removing and reinstalling gsx and the standalone add on manager does not solve the issue. When I reinstall either of them, i get another message stating something like the couatl.exe file in the appdata folder could not be overwritten due to restricted access?

I really am out of my league here. What can I do to fix the issue because I am getting desperate.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel W.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Couatl.exe based error leading to dysfunctional gsx
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 10:44:29 am »
When I reinstall either of them, i get another message stating something like the couatl.exe file in the appdata folder could not be overwritten due to restricted access?

Please, clarify this message. It seems you have a permission problems on your user account, try to change the Couatl.exe properties to run As Administrator.

Or, try with the latest GSX installer as downloaded from the website, because the latest installers should be able to fix wrong permissions under the %APPDATA% folder.

pijnackerpilot

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 10:00:50 pm »
Will try that first thing

pijnackerpilot

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 04:03:02 pm »
I removed my gsx version, downloaded the latest version and when re-installing the fresh download as admin I get the following message:

Code: [Select]
C:\Users\etc\etc\local\Temp\etc\couatl.exe

An error has occured while trying to rename a file in destination directory.

MoveFile is failed: Code 5

Access is denied.

pijnackerpilot

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 04:10:51 pm »
The same happens when I try to reinstall the addon manager. I think it won't start up because it will not properly install the couatl.exe file. How can I resolve this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 11:30:30 pm »
That error code means you were trying to run the installer when FSX was still running, or not entirely closed, so the installer could't write anything since files were locked by FSX itself.

Restarting Windows will surely fix this.