Author Topic: F/A-18 Flight Planning tutorial  (Read 100745 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
F/A-18 Flight Planning tutorial
« on: November 01, 2007, 07:37:13 pm »
We'll demonstrate how to create a Flight Plan with FSX Flight Planner, and use it with the F/A-18 avionics. Let's start a short test flight from Area51 to Nellis, here's our plan:

The flight goes through KINS, BESSY, PAIGW, BRENS and Nellis

Load the F/A-18 and select the HSI on any screen. Press the WPT softkey, to activate Waypoint mode, and activate the SEQ options, to display the route on the HSI screen. The screen should look like this, with KINS being the next active waypoint:

By pressing the GPS softkey, a page will list all the waypoints in the current flight plan, with a > sign next to the active one. It's possible to cycle waypoints by using the to UP/DOWN softkeys on the right:

The HUD will also repeat waypoint informations, when in Waypoint mode:

Now we are enroute towards KINS fix:

When a waypoint is active, and the airplane is flying, it's possible to check for a fuel prediction, on the FPAS page. Select the FPAS page on another DDI screen. Here we set the FPAS page on the left DDI, and the HSI on the right. Note that the HSI has been put into ARC mode: this is done by rotating the small knob on the top left of the CENTER DDI, on the D-CTR position. The active waypoint is labeled with a filled circle. Note also that we enabled visualization of all kind of navaids, using the lower left softkey that now reads "ALL". This can cycle between OFF, TCN, NDB, FIX, APT, or ALL

Note the FPAS screen, giving useful prediction on the airplane's endurance to reach Bingo (set the Bingo level with the appropriate knob), to reach 2000 lbs and to reach 0 lbs. Also, we get information about Estimate Fuel on Board at the next waypoint, together with some information about fuel consumption.

Now we can turn the Autopilot on, to follow the route automatically. Press the A/P button on the Upfront Panel, press BALT to hold the current altitude, and press CPL to automatically follow the route. Since we are in Waypoint mode on the HSI, the Autopilot will understand we are going to follow a waypoint and, since the SEQ button is turned on, the "Coupling" will be to the route, note the HSI showing CPL SEQ. If SEQ was off, and WPT on, the HSI would have shown CPL WPT, meaning it will follow a waypoint directly. What's the difference ? In CPL WPT mode, the Autopilot will fly straight direct to the next waypoint, in CPL SEQ, it will try to intercept the planned route first, then following it.

When a waypoint is active, it's possible to get additional informations about it, by pressing the DATA softkey button.

Now we reached KINS waypoint. Since the AUTO option is selected, the airplane will automatically make the next waypoint (BESSY) active, and will automatically turn towards it.

If AUTO is turned off, we become free to select any waypoint, and follow it.

The autopilot will progress through the whole flight plan, until reaching the last waypoint. Note: this is only valid for LATERAL navigation. You will be responsible to climb/descend according to the flight plan.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 11:53:46 pm by virtuali »

ryanbatcund

Re: F/A-18 Flight Planning tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 12:24:10 pm »
Thanks, nice post!

Is there a way to zoom out or in on the range for the flight plan display?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:38:40 pm »
Is there a way to zoom out or in on the range for the flight plan display?

Sure. By pressing the SCL softkey on top of the HSI, you can switch between 5/10/20/40/80/160 nm scale.

Also, the HSI visualization can be toggled between

- NORMAL - (view oriented with airplane heading)
- N-UP - North Up
- D-CTR - ARC mode

By using the knob on the top lefe of the center DDI.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 02:53:30 pm by virtuali »

ryanbatcund

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 03:18:23 am »
heheh I just figured that out today.....  not sure how I missed the range derrr!

;D

Jay_W

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 03:50:56 am »
FS Dream Team,
I just wanted to post this note to say, 'thank you'.  I have always dreamed of having a modern jet fighter in MS flight simulator and you folks did it.  The quality and performance of the F/A-18 is second to none.  You all have done a really great job with this product.  Thank you.

Jay

seaviper

• Seaviper.com
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:05 am »
FS Dream Team,
I just wanted to post this note to say, 'thank you'.  I have always dreamed of having a modern jet fighter in MS flight simulator and you folks did it.  The quality and performance of the F/A-18 is second to none.  You all have done a really great job with this product.  Thank you.

Jay

I second that. Well Done!
Check Wheels Down

BlakTiger47

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 08:10:43 pm »
Thirded. You guys did an awesome job. Then you back it up with the forum. That's some dedication. Thanks so much.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

BlakTiger47

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 09:39:30 pm »
I'm having a problem with the SEQ button. Whenever I click the softkey to activate SEQ my computer gives me the FSX has encountered an error and needs to close down page. What do I need to do to fix this problem?
-Blue Angels
Light the Fire

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:33:47 pm »
I'm having a problem with the SEQ button.

This has been already covered on other threads: I never experienced this issue, and it's probably related to some Windows memory management issue.

If you changed the Windows Swap file strategy, from the default of being handled by Windows, to a custom setting with a specific size, the error seems to appear more frequently. Try to revert to the default Windows memory management.

BlakTiger47

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2007, 06:48:22 pm »
Thanks, got the problem fixed. Not sure how I did it though. Thanks for the quick reply anyway.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 06:50:09 pm by BlakTiger47 »
-Blue Angels
Light the Fire

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 06:27:37 pm »
i finally decided to make a flight plan and fly it on the f-18, but seems like im having the same SEQ button problem.... changing the memory management stuff didnt work, same with the visual c++ runtime stuff....

now i'm wondering why do i pay for computer stuff without trying before...

diga

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 10:34:09 am »
Hi I am a new guy to this site and found very good articles on F18. My F18 following is not working:
ARC mode: this is done by rotating the small knob on the top left of the CENTER DDI, on the D-CTR position. I cannot rotate it.
Vista Ultimate 32
GA-P35-DS3R
FSB1333
Intel E6750
4GB Memory 6400
Gigabyte 8600GT
FSX with Acceleration
500GB HD
Mitsubishi RDT 22" WIDE

italyflight

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:37:13 pm »
hi to all
when i plan the gps my pc sais that an error was occured in fs and it will be closed.
there was a topic on this that said to change the virtual memory of the system.
How many min and max megabites of virtual memory do i have to set for the system?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 09:06:04 pm »
The crash when pressing the SEQ button can be caused by two things:

- Virtual memory settings. The correct setting is let Windows manager VM, that is the default.

- Loading a flight that was saved when a flight plan was active. This will crash FSX. To fix it, start from a flight that was saved without a flight plan active.

italyflight

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
for virtuali: i tried everything you said but the error comes again