Author Topic: vAirTanker Vs vLSO  (Read 25550 times)

Orion

Re: vAirTanker Vs vLSO
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2012, 08:12:20 am »
If you use the latest Java then AICARRIERS will not work, I believe that is why he does not like AICARRIERS.
No; I just don't like Java's updater.  Runs on startup and always has a UAC prompt (and yes, I do know I can turn off UAC).  Aside that, AICarriers is a fantastic utility.

Tregarth

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2012, 04:47:43 pm »
Dear Serge,

"Capt,
You're almost right  Wink A tanker would start above the carrier and then orbit it for 10 or 15 minutes. I think its path should be a racetrack oval of, perhaps, 3x15 nm... And I'm still not sure about altitude selection...  Grin
Anyways I'm open for discussion."

Can I please ask that, before you start this addition, you complete your project to make vLSO compatible with airports? :)

I am anxiously awaiting this so I can refine my landing technique and the go out to the carriers.

Many thanks,

Tregarth

P.S.  I tried to use the quote button but I don't hink I used it properly, sorry.

Paddles

• Lurking around
    • vLSO blog
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2012, 05:13:10 pm »
How would it start? User request, or when you reach a certain fuel state? What aircraft is it?

A user will select an add-on menu option to request for a tanker, which will then spawn overhead the boat. There will be an option in the vLSO.ini, specifying what aircraft to use as a tanker.
AFAIK, there are some tanker capable aircraft in FSX:

Gif Diagram and two PDF pages attached are from CV NATOPS MANUAL 31 JULY 2009 NAVAIR 00-80T-105

Here's an excerpt from the document:

6.10.3 Recovery Tanking Pattern
After the receiver is engaged, the tanker aircraft shall establish a racetrack pattern in the vicinity of the ship. Unless special circumstances exist, the tanker should not proceed more than 10 miles ahead of the ship. The downwind leg should be 3 to 5 miles abeam and tanking should be completed prior to reaching a point 6 miles astern to allow for proper pattern entry.

So, I was right - a racetrack tanking pattern of 15x3nm will do...  ;D

Can I please ask that, before you start this addition, you complete your project to make vLSO compatible with airports? :)

I am anxiously awaiting this so I can refine my landing technique and the go out to the carriers.

If you mean FCLP support, be sure, it will be there.  ;)
Want it done right? Do it yourself!

SUBS17

« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2012, 09:44:21 pm »
I wonder if you could have a submenu with a selection of possible aircraft as tankers since there are so many aircraft types that can be tankers. Is aircraft TACAN just a VRS thing or are there other aircraft in FSX that have this feature?

Razgriz

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2012, 09:48:21 pm »
If someone can figure out a way to make FSX accept skeletal animations, you can theoretically make a hose that will actually connect/stretch with the airplanes deviation.

SUBS17

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2012, 11:07:45 pm »
In Lockon the hose is modeled in such a way that the hose can do that while refuelling. Its quite tricky to hook up with prior to FC1 it was scripted where once connected you remained attached until you backed off. Now it will move as you collect it with the probe, if they ever model airflow over the drogue it'll be very interesting to hook up with.

ExNusquam

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2012, 03:59:27 am »
If someone can figure out a way to make FSX accept skeletal animations, you can theoretically make a hose that will actually connect/stretch with the airplanes deviation.
I know someone managed to get the boom on a tanker to hook up to the MilViz F-15E. (I think it was Chris Dub?) I think the VRS devs also have mentioned knowing how to do it, but in order to successfully make a hose/drogue work and look good, the model would have to be exceedingly complex.

Razgriz

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2012, 06:16:23 am »
I know someone managed to get the boom on a tanker to hook up to the MilViz F-15E. (I think it was Chris Dub?) I think the VRS devs also have mentioned knowing how to do it, but in order to successfully make a hose/drogue work and look good, the model would have to be exceedingly complex.

Not so much, just an actual skeletal animation system, which will allow bendable joints based on mathematics, rather than predefined animation.

Mickey_Techy

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2012, 05:31:58 am »
If you use the latest Java then AICARRIERS will not work, I believe that is why he does not like AICARRIERS.

Sub17,

Even the latest Java works well with AICarriers. Just make sure you have a 32bit Java installed, EVEN if your OS is 64bit.
SandPro has written some elaborate posts on this subject in VRS forums.

I used to have the same problems too, but not it's all good.