Author Topic: A Few Possible Fixes Perhaps...?  (Read 15761 times)

TheRipper

A Few Possible Fixes Perhaps...?
« on: April 26, 2008, 04:18:10 pm »
G'day Fellas!
Firstly, I would like to say that you have done a fantastic job on the Hornet, the quality of everything really is second-to-none.

However, I do have a few things I'd like to point out (I am unsure if they will be able to be fixed or not) Being that you have Blues jets as a livery of choice, this therefore means that this being taken as an 'A' model.
Despite the fact that some of these critiques may be blunt, I'm not (pardon my French) 'taking the piss', I really honestly believethat this is a simply stunning aircraft in many ways (apart from the following) so here goes!

1. The Flaps don't extend far enough, both the main, and leading-edge ones.
2. The main gear is way too high (I do also realise that there are fixes for that)
3. The nose wheel is *slightly* too big, needs to be reduced
4. A well used 'A' model (like the Blues jets) has wings that curve up more from high-G stresses put on the plane (perhaps a dynamic wing flez effect can be added)
5. The canopy is more 'rounded'
6. With full extended flaps, both rudders point in an inwards direction.

With physical points out of the way, I would also like to point out that there are a few things in the flight model that need to be fixed also, including the fact that you can have an AoA of almost 90 degrees and not stall out of the turn, and you certainly cannot hover, or go 20KIAS and maintain even remaining in the air, letalone being able to easily maintain control. You cannot be vertical and still gain airspeed....... at 40,000ft. And finally, you should be able to do 2 complete aileron rolls at 150ft and 300KIAS and not crash (as demonstrated the the opposing horizontal rolls in the Blue Angels routine).

I am using many blues pictures as a basis for my hypothesis, however this one should  show most of these:

Cheers!
Jack.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: A Few Possible Fixes Perhaps...?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 08:17:06 pm »
Despite the fact that some of these critiques may be blunt, I'm not (pardon my French) 'taking the piss', I really honestly believethat this is a simply stunning aircraft in many ways (apart from the following) so here goes!

Well, thank you for pointing it out, but all your issues are relevant to the external model and the flight model, that's precisely the parts in the Acceleration F/A-18 we weren't in charge of...we only did the VC modeling/texturing and the Gauges programming.

TheRipper

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 02:14:23 am »
Do'h

Chappy

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2008, 06:15:48 pm »
Do'h

It's Captain Sim team that made the model if I remember correctly:

http://www.captainsim.com

dev

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2008, 11:19:57 pm »
Just remember the Angle of Attack is for lift.   The F-18 you have to consider is more of a rocket with wings so doing a 18+ degree climb is normal since thrust is whats causing the vertical motion not lift.   Actually thats true for just about any aircraft. if you are still confused just read the first section of "lessons" in flight sim, they have an explanation there as well. Also if you're caught in a situation where you need to bleed speed immediately and you can't turn, the best way to do is go past the 18degrees until the speed bleeds off and then lower the nose to a proper angle of attack...

TheRipper

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:11:53 am »
Yes, that is true, and in fact the thrust-weight ration in the A model is large enough that it can theoretically take off and keep going and gain speed, however, you cannot at 40000ft, furthermore you cannot accelerate at that rate close to the ground anyway, and maintatning control is simething else too...

SUBS17

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 05:55:27 am »

Well, thank you for pointing it out, but all your issues are relevant to the external model and the flight model, that's precisely the parts in the Acceleration F/A-18 we weren't in charge of...we only did the VC modeling/texturing and the Gauges programming.

Is there any plans in the future to do a backseat for an F/A-18B or a weapons loadout for the F/A-18As 3d model?

Razgriz

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 10:48:29 am »
Maybe you should talk to Captain Sim about that?...

SUBS17

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2008, 12:08:02 am »
Captain sim never made the pit so how are you going to make a workable backseat for the 2 seaters? Its a pity the current 3d pit couldn't be moded as a 2 seater.

Razgriz

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2008, 02:05:14 am »
Well first off, who in the world cares you have a backseat to sit in if you don't even see it on the outside.  What good would that do for a the Blue Angels #7, or military ops with two people.

shylock

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 02:17:23 am »
It would add to the effect of flying in a 2 seater. Just like saying why have a co-pilots seat in a 737. I have tried to work on a back seat panel for the capsim f-18D. Still working on it lol. Raz im going to need you to try that see if you can make it work. lol

Bullseye

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 08:54:01 pm »
btw: would be cool in mutliplayer, blue angels you can actually 'take' a guy which takes shots up in the air, while "the guy in front" flies it:D

crim3

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 02:08:05 pm »
A simulation is light years away from what real life offers to the senses. This is trivial home entertaiment. Don't take it serious and have fun.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 10:10:59 pm »
I've removed all off-topic replies, since the thread started to degenerate. I also purposely left the last post from crim3, which sums it all: this it's home entertainment, let's try to have some fun with it. But also have respect for those who *want* to take it seriously...

micro

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2008, 08:55:53 am »
Personally, I think both sides are right. Lets have fun with it and make it as real as possible.