Author Topic: long pauses on departure  (Read 12401 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: long pauses on departure
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »
I will add that when I'm experiencing this if I exit FSX it will take a long time before I am able to click the exit confirmation button.  A clue?

That's just confirm the fact that what you are experiencing is simply too much addons, too high settings (and the combination of them), too much memory allocated, and Windows trying to recover it in order not to crash, possibly using the swap file, which of course will result in slowdowns.

rbifly

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
So since this pause only occurs at the same position over the fsdt runways...  I'm wondering what the scenery or Add on Manager is doing that triggers this?  And can this be adjusted?
i7 920 @ 4GHz 6 GB RAM GTX 480 FSX Acceleration UTX GEX REX UT2 PMDG NGX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:56 pm »
So since this pause only occurs at the same position over the fsdt runways...  I'm wondering what the scenery or Add on Manager is doing that triggers this?  And can this be adjusted?

The Addon Mananger doesn't have anything to do with this, especially if you set the anti-pop setting to the maximum value, which means *everything* will be loaded when you are 16NM from the airport, and nothing will be loaded/unloaded anymore. With the anti-pop up on its minimum value, the largest objects will still be loaded at 16 NM ( in case of KDFW ), but the smaller objects will have smaller ranges.

However, even at the minimum settings, the usual effect are *slight* pauses of 0.1/0.5 seconds at most, nobody ever reported a 10 or even 30 seconds pause, ever.

At the maximum setting, you can safely discount anything related in any way to the Addon Manager. Of course, you'll have a somewhat larger pause (by "large" I mean 3-4 seconds) AT *exactly* 16.0 NM out, but that's to be expected.

rbifly

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 07:40:36 pm »
Additional info.  Did a windows reinstall followed by FSX/Acceleration, UT2, & FSDT scenery.  Same effect.  Only seems to occur with the PMDG NGX and not the MD11?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 09:14:20 pm »
Only seems to occur with the PMDG NGX and not the MD11?

At least this would safely discount the scenery being a problem.

rbifly

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 06:35:35 pm »
Just built a new i7 2600K based system running @ 4.5GHz.  Still see the pauses on departures in the NGX.  PMDG blames fsdt.  fsdt blames pmdg.  It would be real nice if you could work out these problems since the scenery is so nice and considering the GSX support of the NGX. :-\

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »
PMDG blames fsdt.  fsdt blames pmdg.

I'm sorry, but we don't "blame" anyone but, based on your report:

Only seems to occur with the PMDG NGX and not the MD11?

How can be explained any differently than a difference between the two airplanes, which obviously doesn't have anything to do with the scenery ? Have you reported this to PMDG ? How they explain it ?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:54:47 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 06:54:03 pm »
In any case, I've just tried what you described as the worse situation (30 sec. pauses after departure from KLAS 7L) using the 737 NGX 800, and I couldn't see any pauses of any kind.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 07:02:55 pm by virtuali »

rbifly

« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:59:39 pm »
PMDG says that it is something to do with your software and security settings I think and to use at my own risk.  I only get the pauses if I sit at an fsdt airport I have arrived at for a while before departing again..  The fact that it occurs on a completely new machine is interesting.  running GEX,UTX,REX, UT2 PMDG 737 NGX700

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 07:09:45 pm »
PMDG says that it is something to do with your software and security settings I think and to use at my own risk

They are wrong, and it's clear they used this explanation without knowing anything about how our software works.

In fact, since almost all objects are called by a module that is *external* to FSX (the Couatl.exe), it would be even less likely it would cause such problems to FSX, like memory consumption for example,  since the memory is taken from a different set than the maximum of 4GB FSX can allocate (while, for example, their own gauges and *their* security module, being in-process .DLL, will take away from the same memory available to FSX). The Addon Manager, which runs in-process, does almost nothing right now, it's basically left just as an interface to activate the scenery.

And besides, how they explain it doesn't happen with the MD11 ? If it was our "security module", causing a conflict with their own, for example, it should happen with the MD11 too, on an FSDT scenery.

The fact that it occurs on a completely new machine is interesting

What I found more interesting, instead, apart for the fact it doesn't happen with the MD11, is that nobody else posted in this thread.

rbifly

« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 07:21:58 pm »
What I found more interesting, instead, apart for the fact it doesn't happen with the MD11, is that nobody else posted in this thread

I agree.  But just want to figure out how to get this working better.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:25:19 pm »
I agree.  But just want to figure out how to get this working better.

To know what might be, I should be able at least to replicate the problem. As I've said, I couldn't see any pauses, departing from KLAS 7L. Made two tests: one with no AI traffic, absolutely smooth, and another one with UT2 at 100%.

Departing with UT2, I've got a bit of stuttering while on the runway roll, probably because UT2 was still creating traffic, but no problems of long pauses, by continuing the runway heading up to a point were the desert starts.

rbifly

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »
This is how I test.  I depart KLAX and fly to KLAS in the NGX 700.  park at gate C21 and sit for at least a half hour to an hour.  Use GSX for boarding etc.  UT2 is pretty busy with Southwest flights at the airport.  Then on departure off 7L or 25R I'll get the pause.  Last night it was 19 seconds.   Doesn't seem like I will get the pause unless I sit at KLAS for a while.  I thought maybe there was something wrong with my last computer, but now with my new i7 2600K system with FSX running off a SSD I'm scratching my head as to why I still experience this. 

I can attach my CFG file later if that will help.