Author Topic: long pauses on departure  (Read 12402 times)

rbifly

long pauses on departure
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:39 pm »
I have installed KDFW,KLAX,KLAS, and most recently GSX.  I experience multi-second pauses usually after departure climbing through a couple thousand feet. Usually just one or two long pauses.  Flying the PMDG 737NGX.  Popup set to 30.  Any other settings that can be used to fix this?

i7 920 4 GHz windows 7 FSX sp2,REX,GEX,UTX,flightbeam sfo, fsdt scenery

thanks
i7 920 @ 4GHz 6 GB RAM GTX 480 FSX Acceleration UTX GEX REX UT2 PMDG NGX

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: long pauses on departure
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:22:12 pm »
Can you estimate the distance from the airport center when the pauses appear ?

rbifly

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 07:26:04 pm »
For example, departing LAX last night off of 24L I experienced a multi second pause just over the shoreline.  That is probably within a couple miles from the departure end of the runway?

Tonight KLAX to KLAS no problems.  Then on the return trip Departing KLAS 15 second freeze at 1000 feet still over the 25R departure runway.  Another 10 second freeze on the perimeter of Las Vegas at 11000 feet.  Only really have the problem on departures.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:36:19 am by rbifly »

rbifly

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:10 am »
Any ideas?  Just about a 30 second pause departing KLAS from 7L . less than 1000 feet estimate within a mile of the center of the airport.  I hate to think I need to start reinstalling things.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 01:18:55 pm »
A pause when approaching *might* be related to the loading of objects, because FSX takes a bit of time to create objects, but not a pause when leaving.

A pause of 10 seconds it's out of this world, it should take MUCH less to load the *whole* scenery.

Do you use UT2 maybe ? That's very well known for having large pauses when everything stops for 10 seconds or more, when loading AI.

rbifly

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 04:41:08 pm »
I do use UT2, but have never had this issue.  I initially saw some of this behaviour at KDFW ( short pauses on departure ) only after installing LAX and DFW.  Then after installing KLAS and then GSX I started to see this behaviour.  It will not occur initially, but usually after completing a flight from say LAX to LAS it will occur on departure from LAS.  Not sure if the issue is induced after by GSX usage.  I don't see the issue at KSFO.  Any ideas for troubleshooting?

rbifly

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 04:38:00 am »
Tonight I edited the XML file so that UT2 would not start.  I flew LAX LAS LAX and experienced pauses at 1000 feet over the runway and 110000 feet on the outer LAS are.  Interesting though that the pause were only about a 1 second now.  Is there some interaction between the the Add on manager and UT2?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 10:00:02 am »
Interesting though that the pause were only about a 1 second now

That's a significant change, and confirms what I was suspecting about UT2 being the main problem.

Is there some interaction between the the Add on manager and UT2?

Not between them, but both are Simconnect clients, and they both create objects using it. But on a busy airport with many AI, UT2 can create *lots* of them, and this pauses the sim.

rbifly

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 07:26:15 pm »
So I'm sure there are others using fsdt with UT2 and PMDG without any issues?  Would you recommend that I reinstall my FSX system?  Is there a traffic program that is more compatible?

rbifly

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:22 am »
I uninstalled and then reinstalled the latest UT2 version.  The problem seems to have gone away.

rbifly

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 08:37:08 pm »
Unfortunately this problem seems to still be present.  I recently reinstalled FSX and all my add ons and I still have the issue.  I will still get the long pause on departure from KLAS or KDFW at abut 1000 feet still over the airport.  I do think it is related to UT2 and wonder what I can do to solve this.  The thing that is unique is that the problem will not present itself at first, but only after sitting at an airport for an extended period of time.  I think the UT2 traffic activity builds to a level so that there is some conflict.  Is there something you can suggest to troubleshoot this?  Simconnect?  graphics? page file?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:29 pm »
If the problem happens only after a while, it's unlikely a conflict between the scenery and UT2, and the pause is caused by UT2 alone, since basically all the scenery objects are created immediately as soon as you enter the scenery area, which in case of KDFW is fairly large at 16 nm, once all objects are created, there's almost zero Simconnect activity on our part, even the active Docking systems and the special custom runway lights don't use Simconnect, except for querying the AI positions but, it's the same if the AI were default and, since you said that by removing UT2 the problem goes away, it means the scenery itself is not causing any problems with AI.

What happens if you simply lower the AI density in UT2 ?

rbifly

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 12:49:57 am »
I just did a flight from KLAX to KLAS...  No problems on that leg.  After arriving at the gate,  I toggled UT2 off.  Just before takeoff from KLAS, I toggled UT2 back on.  Still had the 30 second pause. Yesterday I tried toggling UT2 off before takeoff and still got a pause at KDFW.   Not sure what the mechanism is, but it requires a period of time before it presents itself.  Will try at a reduced UT2 setting, but I think I will still have an issue.

Next repeated the above with the UT2 sliders reduced from 70% to 30%.  No change...  same 30 second pause departing LAS

Finally disabled UT2 again by way of the xml... flew LAX to LAS with no issues.  Sat in LAS for about an hour then on departure had a 15 second pause at the same location...  Now wondering if it is really UT2 at fault?  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:18:57 am by rbifly »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 01:53:42 pm »
Before, you said this after removing UT2:

Interesting though that the pause were only about a 1 second now

Now you are back to 15 seconds pause ?

If it happens only after some time, maybe it's simply the whole combination of your installed addons in FSX that have requested too much memory, and Windows has decided to reclaim it.

Memory might become fragmented after some time, you might try an utility like this:

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

Try to run a memory defrag just before takeoff, and see if it makes any difference.

rbifly

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 05:11:35 am »
No change...  I stayed on the ground in KLAS longer and experienced a 30 second delay on departure.  

I will add that when I'm experiencing this if I exit FSX it will take a long time before I am able to click the exit confirmation button.  A clue?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 05:32:08 am by rbifly »