Author Topic: It's time for some regional airports!  (Read 7049 times)

bluesky1

It's time for some regional airports!
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:45:09 am »
First, let me say that I own three FSDT airports and am totally satisfied with all three both in quality and choice of subject. I also applaud the choice of Vancouver. Recently I decided to expand my flight sim world and add Europe to my repertoire. Accordingly, I bought FSDT Geneva Cointrin which is great and hope to include Zurich before too long. Wow, some great scenery there!

On expanding to Europe, I soon discovered the availability of many smaller, regional-sized airport sceneries. I find these every bit as enjoyable as the "super-size" airports, but best of all, they provide more opportunity for shorter-hop flights.

I wish we could see more mid-size and smaller airports for the U.S. of the FSDT quality. I can't imagine they wouldn't sell if they fell within the $20 -$25 range. Lots of great subjects begging to be done: Richmond and Reno, Burbank and Birmingham, Tucson, Des Moines, Austin, Jacksonville, Spokane, Albany; tons more.

Frank Lindberg

Re: It's time for some regional airports!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 07:45:03 am »
+1 for that one  ;)
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

masondom

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 07:57:38 am »
+1

(but unfortunately, Umberto already stated that these airports generate poor sellings).

I will be  the first to buy a package. let's say Sacramento + Little Rock + Jacksonville ?
DOm

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:49:38 pm »
but unfortunately, Umberto already stated that these airports generate poor sellings

And he only owns three of the eleven they've done, so they can't count on his buying them.   ;D ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

duckbilled

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 06:49:43 pm »
I agree but regional airports are not really FSDT's thing. I would suggest making request for small regional airports at FlyTampa. I remember a thread or two stating that they may focus on smaller airports because the big ones take too long.

Thralni

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:53:07 pm »
To be brutally honest, I like the idea, but wouldn't FSDT to make regional airports. From what I've seen, KLAX, one of the biggest, busiest airport addons I have, is also one of the best performing airports I have, despite the insane detail and quality. I'd rather they keep on churning out huge, well-performing hubs than smaller, regional airports.

bluesky1

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 11:55:01 pm »
And he only owns three of the eleven they've done, so they can't count on his buying them.   

I guess I don't understand the "logic" that if someone makes a request for regional airports he's an unlikely customer for his own requests simply because he hasn't bought all the other FSDT airports.....yet. I admit, I've only been able to manage 34 payware airports and tons of photo real sceneries thus far. Maybe someday I'll be able to manage getting all the FSDT airports too!  Actually, that would be nice!

Once again:

" I find these every bit as enjoyable as the "super-size" airports, but best of all, they provide more opportunity for shorter-hop flights."

Nothing in that statement negative about the large airports. The addition of regional airports would make it a little more like the "real world" - and those nice short hops; have a look at an airline route map sometime; it's not all major hubs; it's both the majors and regionals. Why did FSDT make the small Hawaii airports? Was it because they knew not all of us would want to do a long HNL - LAX flight? I really don't know their reason but I think what they did was a great idea for flying the Islands anyway.

I do happen to own DFW and love it! I found it to fit real nicely with Megascenery Dallas. Now, if FSDT were to do an Austin, Little Rock, or Oklahoma City, etc. I have a hunch they could count on me as a likely definite customer! Obviously, very few of us would buy any and everything ever offered!

And again:

"I wish we could see more mid-size and smaller airports for the U.S. of the FSDT quality"

Since FSDT seems to be doing mostly U.S. subjects, I'd much prefer to see any new subjects done by them rather than a couple other producers I won't mention.

danch53

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 03:11:10 am »
I would like to see some of the smaller non-hub airports as well. I have six of the FSDT U.S. airports and enjoy all of them very much, as well as the top-drawer airports produced by other developers such as Fly Tampa and Imagine Sim. Unfortunately, I'm not often able to "bookend" flights with two quality airports very often -- unless I have the time to do an ORD-LAS flight or JFK-FLL, which I rarely do. It seems there would be a demand for an occasional regional airport. It would be nice to have a release such as DFW or ORD followed by smaller regionals surrounding it. Let's say, for example, that a DFW release could be followed with two or three surrounding regionals, such as LIT and AUS or BTR. I'd think there would be some market for that. There would with me, I can promise you that! Just a thought.

I keep hearing that that developers are reluctant to produce the smaller airports for fear of a lack of demand. But, honestly, I wonder what that is based on -- very few smaller airports have been released. Other than the great BUF airport released by Fly Tampa a while back, I can't think of any done by quality developers. And ... after a handful of hubs such as IAH, MSP, PHX are done, what will the developers produce then? Will they just quit producing? I hope not ... perhaps then we'll see some regionals.

Snprshot3

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 06:55:52 am »
I personally love all the products that I have. I think that regional airports are great and add alot of realism to FSX and can better utilize all of the short haul payware planes that have been released. 

bradl

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 08:19:13 pm »
+1

(but unfortunately, Umberto already stated that these airports generate poor sellings).

I will be  the first to buy a package. let's say Sacramento + Little Rock + Jacksonville ?
DOm

Just so you know, Dave Biggar put out the most accurate version of SMF in 2010..  the only thing that is off on it now (no fault of his) is that they've built and opened the Grand Terminal B and are razing the old Terminal B. He was looking at putting an update out for that. It's available at the FS Free Sky Project site (formerly POSKY).

Overall, I'd be for something like this too. I'd love to see an accurate version of a KOKC, KOMA, and the like..

Only question is.. what would be considered 'regional' outside the US? CYLW and CYXS would qualify for Canada, but what else would work?

BL.

NG Pilot

• Who needs Airbus when you have Boeing!
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 09:12:18 pm »
I'd say a New England pack would be cool, say MHT,BDL,ALB. They would go great with JFK.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 04:51:44 am »
ORBX has mentioned possibly doing New England next year, maybe they'll cover some of those.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

BritishBoy25

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:21 pm »
That Would Be Great  ;D

BritishBoy25

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:55 pm »
Really Cool Too