Author Topic: Will GSX be the end of AES?  (Read 23283 times)

airbumps

Will GSX be the end of AES?
« on: September 25, 2011, 06:55:24 am »
Hey guys,

Just wondering out loud ; If I understand the features of GSX correctly there will no longer be a need for people to continue purchasing AES and its credits if you're using FSX.

If GSX is going to operate more or less the same features as AES and its going to do it without the need to purchase individual credits for each airport you wish to addon, I can't imagine the anybody is going to waste their time continuing with AES?

What does AES do that GSX will not be able to?

Or am I missing something here?

Cheers,
AB

theshack440

Re: Will GSX be the end of AES?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
The only thing that I can imagine people still wanting AES for (that use FSX) would especially want the customized jetways for each AES airport (or some of them). Other than that, I imagine the same thing.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:25 am »
I've never purchased AES credits and have never even tried the free demo, although I did download it and came really close to installing it, but changed my mind at the last minute and deleted the installer.

For me personally, I didn't like the fact that I would have to spend literally hundreds of dollars to cover the vast amount of airport addons that I have. Plus the fact that I already have moving jetways in most of my airports, FSX already has a tug (not as nice as AES though), and I have no use for a Follow Me car since airports in the US dont even use those. I would basically be buying it and spending all that money just to get the marshaller for parking and the service/catering trucks which in my opinon are pretty much useless anyways except for screen shots.

GEX on the other hand, I will buy since it will be useful at ALL airports. Plus I can live without it moving jetways at the airports that dont have them. I'm really glad that I never wasted the money on AES since GSX is being produced.

I dont think it will be the end of AES however since people will continue to buy it for FS9 and those that just can't live without moving jetways will buy credits for FSX to active those particular airports jetways.

NZEddy

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 12:05:04 pm »
GSX will work with all airports and the pushback system sounds awesome!! That's why I'm getting FSDT GSX.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »
I'm really glad that I never wasted the money on AES since GSX is being produced.

Considering all the airports that can be activated with only 1 or 2 credits, I wouldn't call AES a waste of money.  I bought my serial numbers for use with FS9, so when Oliver began supporting FSX, it was free because the FSX versions of my sceneries were already active.  Since I've stopped buying sceneries for FS9 and GSX is coming, I won't buy more AES numbers.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

DChockey08

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:40:08 pm »
Keep in mind : A lot of payware airports do not have moving jetways, and AES I believe will still be used for those airports as GSX will not be able to move those jetways..

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 02:06:32 pm »
Only developers I know of that don't use the default animation are Blueprint and Imaginesim.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2011, 02:58:25 pm »
Only developers I know of that don't use the default animation are Blueprint and Imaginesim.

There are others that don't use any jetway animation at all, and rely only to AES. Flightbeam and FlyTampa are the first that comes to mind.

theshack440

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 04:12:27 am »
Umberto can you convince the guys at Flightbeam to use moving jetways?  :D
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

duckbilled

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 04:17:04 am »
I'm really glad that I never wasted the money on AES since GSX is being produced.

Considering all the airports that can be activated with only 1 or 2 credits, I wouldn't call AES a waste of money.  I bought my serial numbers for use with FS9, so when Oliver began supporting FSX, it was free because the FSX versions of my sceneries were already active.  Since I've stopped buying sceneries for FS9 and GSX is coming, I won't buy more AES numbers.

When I dumped FS9 and went to FSX, all of my credits were released to be used with FSX products. I made the switch in 2009 and have not needed to buy new credits until this week (I actually have a few extra waiting to be applied to LAX).

In all, I have activated 57 airports in FSX using a total of 132 credits - that averages to about 2.3 credits per airport. When you account for the bonus points you get, it comes about to about $1 per credit. Now, would I be willing to pay $2 more per scenery package to have all of AES's features in each package, standardized so that the commands are the same across the board? You betcha. I would also pay for GSX to have similar features at all the airports not covered by AES. So, in short, I doubt GSX will be the death of AES. Considering that AESNG will be out eventually, it may actually have more features than GSX. Who knows. My hope is that Oliver and Umberto will work together to make sure both products can be used at the same exact time.

Life without AES (or similar) is pretty bleak. I tried to use the default push back at LAX over the weekend to get out of gate B42. It didn't work well at all because the area is too tight. I imagine AES would have pushed the aircraft back, turned it and towed it out to the taxiway. I am not sure how GSX will be able to handle similar situations at non-FSDT airports without making some sort of custom adjustments but I am looking forward to finding out.

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 04:45:07 am »
Umberto can you convince the guys at Flightbeam to use moving jetways?  :D
That'll happen with the next AES version which should be out soon I hope..... :)
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 01:42:29 pm »
You're behind the times, Ken.  SFO got AES support in the last version.   :D

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 07:58:38 pm »
You're behind the times, Ken.  SFO got AES support in the last version.   :D
Hmm, I hope I'm not wrong but I am sure that full support is not out for KSFOX 2.0. However I will check.....
Correction: I just looked at the Aerosoft website and saw AES 2.13 is out......so it does have support for SFOX. I must have
missed that update but none the less I am happy it now has support. :)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:09:51 pm by PUP4ORD »
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

theshack440

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:29:07 pm »
You're behind the times, Ken.  SFO got AES support in the last version.   :D
Oh haha, well then nevermind! I'll check that out.

Thanks
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

soundman

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 10:24:21 pm »
I think GSX will make it necessary for AES to be updated graphically to be able to compete.

AES is way behind on visual appeal.