Author Topic: Missing Textures  (Read 4369 times)

wb2002

Missing Textures
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:03:41 am »
While traveling around in airport, came accross this problem. There are no fence or barrier to prevent a plane or vehicle from falling over into road below. What may be problem here? I am attaching pictures to explain and give location. I uninstalled, deleted directory and reinstalled but no success.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:05:58 am by wb2002 »
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Missing Textures
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21:45 am »
There are no fence or barrier to prevent a plane or vehicle from falling over into road below. What may be problem here?

There's no fence, simply because we haven't modeled it. You can't expect *every* nut and bolt of the real airport would be in.

I am attaching pictures to explain and give location. I uninstalled, deleted directory and reinstalled but no success.

The only problem I see in your screenshot, is that terrain spike, which happens because you have the Mesh resolution slider set too high, if you put it to 10m/pixel as the manual suggest, it will go away.

wb2002

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:17:52 pm »
1. Of course I would not expect "every" nut and bolt to be in.

2. This is what the manual says "• Keep the “Mesh Resolution” slider at least at 10 m/pixel, or better, and the
    “Mesh Complexity” slider at 100. With less resolution, some visual problems
    might appear."  Not quite exactly what you quoted.

I do not know if you are speaking on your behalf or the entire fsdreamteam but your response is very unfriendly, demeaning and arrogant. I would hope that you find some joy in the remainder of your day.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:51:44 pm by virtuali »
wb2002

ASUS P6X58 Premium/Intel i7-930 OC TO 4.2
Mushkin Redline (3x2GB) 6-8-6-24/Win 7 Ultimate 64
EVGA GTX 580/Thermaltake W0106 700W PSU

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 11:07:33 pm »
2. This is what the manual says "Keep the “Mesh Resolution” slider at least at 10 m/pixel, or better, and the  “Mesh Complexity” slider at 100. With less resolution, some visual problems might appear."  Not quite exactly what you quoted.

There will be different visual problems if you set to *less* that 10m/pixel, and most of the users keep it to less than that, because there aren't many meshes available to exploit that resolution.

And, it IS possible to set it higher up to 5m/pixel, and still not having any problems.  5m/pixel is the last setting that make some sense, because there aren't any meshes around with resolution higher than that, unless they are oversampled, which is not real data, only a waste of memory.

Your problem was that you probably set it even *higher* than 5m, which is really not very useful for any mesh out there (I think the highest res commercial meshes are at 5m), and it shows that spike problem.

The manual tells to set it at least to 10m, because most of the users have problems because they have it too low, the scenery *still* work at 5m, which is the highest resolution for any mesh that has ever been released so, it's assumed very few users should have it higher, because it seems to trigger an FSX bug, which doesn't appear only at KDFW, but can happen everywhere there's a mesh.