Author Topic: Top FSX freeware addons  (Read 24293 times)

jackhendricks

Top FSX freeware addons
« on: August 28, 2011, 04:29:42 pm »
I have recently switched over to FSX due to FSDTs LAX. 8) I know some good freeware addons for FS9 that enhance the experience, but I know nothing of that sort for FSX. So to FSX users, what are your top freeware addons? Oh and how do you convert FS9 traffic files to FSX traffic files? Thanks!

ewerber

Re: Top FSX freeware addons
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:39 pm »
Use AIFPC to convert you FS9 traffic BGLS to FSX traffic BGLS.
copy the new traffic BGLS to you FSX scenery\world\scenery folder.
create a new folder in your FSX SimObjects folder and call it something like "AI Airplanes" (I named mine "WOAI Airplanes")
copy all your FS9 AI airplanes from the FS9 Aircraft folder (for example all of WOAI airplanes folder names start with "WOAI") to the new folder you created in your SimObjects folder in FSX.
last step is to make sure FSX sees the new folder you created in SimObjects, find your FSX.cfg file and search for the "[Main]" section and then search for "SimObjectPaths." note
after the "dot" at the end there will be a number find the last entry's number and add one to it this the index of your new folder entry, add the line "SimObjectPaths.X=SimObjects\YOUR_AI_FOLDER"
and replace the X with the number you calculated and the "YOUR_AI_FOLDER" with the name of the folder you created for your AI in FSX, save the file.
now FSX knows where to find your AI traffic and you should see all of your old FS9 traffic in FSX with normal boat and car traffic. dont forget to disable the default aircraft traffic BGL.

theshack440

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:37:33 pm »
For top freeware addons, I would say (if you can run them adequately) FreeSkyProject (what used to be Posky), Project Airbus (although many of theirs are built for FS9), and there is a good MD-83 with a built in FMC called FSND (on simviation) amongst other good choices for planes. For scenery, I honestly just search or browse avsim and simviation to find scenery that I am looking for and much more frequently than not they have what I want and I just install it through directions on the readme. For other utilities, I would highly recommend ASE (AFCAD editor), vroute (works for FS9 I think though, so it wouldn't be new for you necessarily), and vasFMC (same FS9 story) to name a few as I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Hope this helps,
Regards
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 06:40:57 pm by theshack440 »
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

duckbilled

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 08:20:55 pm »
Ma

duckbilled

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:32:36 pm »
Max Kraus' scenery for TBPB and FIMP.

Honestly, there is something about FSX that has reduced the amount of high quality add on scenery. It seems like FSX killed freeware scenery. For me, it also killed freeware aircraft. Since the 2D panels do not allow cockpit side views, the only aircraft that work for me are the ones with VC's or aircraft that can be merged with the default VC's. I have not tried the FreeSky 767 because it doesn't have a VC and there is no available vc to merge it with. Most of the free sceneries I have are basically enhanced ADE files with scenery objects. Other than Max's stuff, there really isn't a lot out there where people have built airports from scratch. I agree with the idea of searching AVSIM and make sure you look through the files for an idea of what the file actually is. There are a lot of files are there that are listed under FSX scenery but are actually just high end ADE files.

Ethan744N763

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »
I agree with the above, in the 5 or so years FSX has been out there has been ALOT less quality freeware addons then the five years after FS9 was released.

I use this great list of all FSX freeware sceneries: http://www.freewarescenery.com/fsx.html

theshack440

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:13 am »
... Most of the free sceneries I have are basically enhanced ADE files with scenery objects.
For the most part that is what I mean about the scenery files. And in many cases, they are adequate because my favorite, most used airports I have payware for.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

NZEddy

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 02:16:30 pm »
Orbx have some awesome freeware airports for FSX.

http://fullterrain.com

Also Thomas Ruth for FSX native Airbus series, B727 and some Antonov planes.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:10:31 am »
FSDreamTeam sceneries :D

True, at least for 5 minutes at time...

duco

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:13:59 pm »
NL2000

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:22:28 pm »
Max Kraus' scenery for TBPB and FIMP.

Also his paphos International is really well done. I'd say my favs from him are Barbados and Paphos, although FIMP is nice as well, its a bit far from anything for me.

Other than Max's stuff, there really isn't a lot out there where people have built airports from scratch. I agree with the idea of searching AVSIM and make sure you look through the files for an idea of what the file actually is. There are a lot of files are there that are listed under FSX scenery but are actually just high end ADE files.

I wish Avsim would stop listing airports that are basically modified ADE's with some native FSX objects added as "scenery". There's been more than one instance when I saw a new 'scenery' file listed as something that I would be interested in, only to do a zip dive on it and see it's an updates ADE with some objects placed.

I agree that other than Max's stuff there isn't a lot to choose from, besides Ant's AU stuff. I'll be honest though, aside from Max's and Ant's stuff, I generally stay away from freeware airports, even back in the FS9 days, there wasn't enough freeware I would actually use due to a lot of it looking like "freeware".

Fortunately for me now in FSX, payware has gotten to the point that most of my favorite airports are finally done by payware developers and I don't really need to rely on freeware or fancy ADE's anymore.

theshack440

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:03:10 pm »

Haha good one Umberto
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 06:51:53 pm »

I don't get it?
Umberto meant that FSDT sceneries are 5 mins for the trial versions.
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:14 pm »
I am, and always have been, completely aware of my families financial situation, and it hurts to see an administrator would leave such a comment. All I can say is: shame on you.

I really don't understand what you are talking about: what, exactly, is wrong with my (obviously lighthearted, and *everybody* got it...) comment ? You already said once "I don't get it" but, it's quite clear that you still are not getting it, even now.

On a thread that is about freeware addons, I replied to a comment of yours (which was obviously meant to be a kind of joke, you even added a smiley face to it), trying to keeping with the spirit, saying it's true our sceneries are freeware, at least for 5 minutes, I really don't see how you could have taken that reply in any other way than a way to continue on the joke *you* started. Instead, you got immediately serious, as if anyone here could have any idea of your financial situation.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:19:35 pm »
I wasn't aware that this was a joke, and I am sorry.

You started it, by putting a smiley on it. At least, that was what I've thought, reading your post...

I thought you were targeting me for not purchasing sceneries.

Surely not! I was just trying to point it out that having a Trial it's a great feature, since it allows to have a look at a scenery for free, and by "free" I mean in both ways: free because you don't have to pay any money if you just want to check the scenery, and free because you don't have to register and enter your details, just in order to download the Trial.

This means, you are *free* to download it, decide not to purchase it for ANY reason, without having to explain anything to anyone and in complete privacy.