Author Topic: Couatl Crash Messing Up FSX?  (Read 6033 times)

theshack440

Couatl Crash Messing Up FSX?
« on: September 19, 2011, 10:10:28 pm »
   I have, now including KLAX, 7 different FSDT airports, all of them were working great with no problems. But yesterday I wanted to try Flightbeam's KSFO and I know that it uses the Virtuali addon manager so I installed it and when FSX loaded the flight I was getting 6-13 fps, much lower than the usual 20-30 fps, even at some complex aiports like KLAX.
   I then loaded up KLAX because that had been doing great for fps and I figured that it was just a KSFO problem (I think it was here that I got a message indicating that couatl had a probem). KLAX had the same problem but there were no buildings... Then I finally just tried out the trike at Friday Harbor, but in a place where I would normally be getting 35-45 fps (max 45) , I was getting 8-17. Then I knew something was wrong. I quit FSX and uninstalled/reinstalled (besides the FlightBeam KSFO) all FSDT products as administrator, then tried it again, same problem: horrible fps wherever I go. I uninstalled everything again but I noticed that in the FSX/fsdt folder the couatl folder was still there, even after uninstallation of everything PLUS the addon manager and couatl engine... I deleted it.... I then reinstalled all sceneries, and deactivated all FSDT products in the scenery manager... to no avail. I then uninstalled and reinstalled again but the first thing I was reinstalling, KLAX, couldn't install unless I removed 5 files from the FSX/fsdt/couatl folder... so I tried to delete them but it said that they were open somewhere else so I just moved them to my desktop. Then reinstallation continued but nothing happened.
   So here I am today very confused about how KSFO could have managed to completely mess up FSX.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Regards
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:16:55 pm by theshack440 »
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com
Pilot and Head of Public Relations

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Coutl Crash Messing Up FSX?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 10:14:54 pm »
I really can't follow all your complex actions entirely.

The only thing sure: your fps at KSFO weren't normal

The other thing sure: low fps at KSFO CANNOT be caused by a problem of the Addon Manager or Couatl.

Another thing absolutely sure: they can't have any effect at all outside their own areas.

As suggested many other times, whenever you are not sure to have installed something correctly, try to install all the sceneries first and THEN as the last step, either install KLAX (because it's the more recent, so it includes every update) OR install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager, which is always kept updated to the last scenery released.

But it's important you install the Stand-Alone Addon Manager AFTER all the sceneries, otherwise it wouldn't be able to update all the files related to them, if it doesn't find them installed.

theshack440

Re: Couatl Crash Messing Up FSX?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:21 pm »
Thank you for your extremely fast reply Umberto.

I will try that and sorry for the confusing story.

Do you have any ideas what could have caused such an abnormal fps (Flightbeam's engine maybe?) ? Could it have just been a coincidence?

Regardless I will try what you said and hope for the best.

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:31:25 pm by theshack440 »
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

theshack440

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 10:54:40 pm »
And also before I do that, is it normal that the couatl folder remains in the FSX/fsdt folder after uninstalling everything?
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:12 pm »
And also before I do that, is it normal that the couatl folder remains in the FSX/fsdt folder after uninstalling everything

If it's empty, it won't do any difference.

theshack440

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:07:52 pm »
I see; but it isn't empty, it is filled with all of the stuff that it normally is (as far as I can tell).
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:19:07 pm »
I see; but it isn't empty, it is filled with all of the stuff that it normally is (as far as I can tell).

It's not supposed to be removed by just uninstalling a scenery, but it should, if you choose to remove Couatl at the end of the uninstall, when asked.

theshack440

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 11:24:28 pm »
Right and I chose to uninstall both Addon manager and couatl and the folder remained.
Happy Flying,
Wallace

www.theshackflights.com