Author Topic: What's next after KLAX?  (Read 17912 times)

member111222

Re: What's next after KLAX?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 05:59:40 pm »
Sorry I dragged us in to the weeds here.  Nonetheless, I think FSDT needs to look at airports that have international traffic so they can bring in the $. We want them to rake in the cash so they stay around for a long time.

As I said, I only buy Blueprint stuff when I must have a specific airport.  In FSX, DTW is the only one I own (and I have a lot of scenery).  When SSJ releases their version, the BP DTW will be uninstalled.  I am sure I am not alone with this strategy. Imaginesim's scenery is more advanced and I they can be compared to Tropicalsim.  I won't replace their airports unless something really amazing is released AND it is a key airport for me. I plan to replace the TS MMUN with the AMS version when it is released.

The point is FSDT needs to look at its actual competition - Fly Tampa, Flightbeam, Aerosoft (Simwings...) and maybe LatinVFR (yeh, I know).  Competing with an existing IS, TS or T2G airport depends on the product and its age.  Blueprint should not even be figured in to the equation.

And as I am typing, I think I may backtrack on my comment that ATL wouldn't be a good choice.  According to what I said above, it may be a good option.  Nonetheless, I just don't know what anyone can really do with ATL - the airport has absolutely no charm - no water, no mountains, no impressive architecture, no exotic AI, no above ground monorail (except for MARTA).  Maybe if they put a lot of work in to the surrounding area it could work but I just think it lacks that wow factor that will get people to dump their IS version.

Still, I think IAH is the lowest hanging fruit followed by EWR.  I like IAH more because it is on the Gulf Coast - an area that has little add on scenery.

"And as I am typing, I think I may backtrack on my comment that ATL wouldn't be a good choice.  According to what I said above, it may be a good option.  Nonetheless, I just don't know what anyone can really do with ATL - the airport has absolutely no charm - no water, no mountains, no impressive architecture, no exotic AI, no above ground monorail (except for MARTA).  Maybe if they put a lot of work in to the surrounding area it could work but I just think it lacks that wow factor that will get people to dump their IS version."

Couldn't agree more on that. KATL may be right now the largest airport when it comes to passengers, but it is just an "ugly hub" where people stay a few hours and then leave to their actual destination. Completely boring. Even with surroundings like Brisbane the airport would be not interesting. Much better would be KSAN (what is more beautiful than this airport), Newark Liberty Intl, Miami Intl, La Guardia( best approaches ever for tube flyers with the NGX), Sault Lake City (very nice with the mountains and the water) or maybe New Orleans Intl as we have the fantastic Aerosoft city scenery for it. :)
Cheers

SirIsaac726

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 07:25:13 pm »
Who determines what "freeware quality" is?  What about SunSkyJet and the rest of Shez Ansari's airport sceneries?

You're comparing Shez Ansari to Blueprint? Shez produces payware quality sceneries, I would've gladly paid for KPHL.

No.  Not directly, at least.  You are making the point that BluePrint charges for scenery that is "freeware quality."  That to me is silly.  The only people/thing to decide what is and is not freeware quality is the consumers buying in the addon market.  If the market sees it as freeware quality, then they wouldn't be buying it.  Clearly, as we've seen by posts in many forums, people are buying it (and I believe it is safe to say that people have bought from them and not talked about it in a forum).  That clearly makes it "payware quality."

Sure, you may not think it is worth the money but the market obviously does.  At least enough people to keep them in business.  No business will stay open for long if they aren't profitable so clearly BluePrint is profitable, so again, clearly enough people see it as "payware quality."

And I too would have paid for KPHL.  But that was their choice not to release as payware.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:27:41 pm by SirIsaac726 »

Dimon

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 07:38:07 pm »
I agree - KATL, KIAH, KDFW (no offense to FSDT), KPHX, KMSP are boring airports where a single carrier is responsible for 95% of the commercial traffic with no or minimal presence of international and other domestic carriers.

This is completerly different league - KBOS, KJFK, KEWR, KIAD, KMIA, KLAX, KSFO, KORD. And all of them are currently present in a good quality except for MIA and EWR. I think that should be a direction for FSDT.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:40:14 pm by Dimon »
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

SirIsaac726

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 01:19:53 am »
KPHX,

This one actually has two major airlines responsible for most traffic: US Airways and Southwest.  But the other major airlines are still well represented at Sky Harbor.

duckbilled

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:41:53 pm »
The traffic mix isn't as big of deal for me if the airport has a lot a lot of traffic and other interesting attributes. I like DTW because its my home airport, its very modern and its one of the few places in the US you will see 747's and DC-9's.

I think PHX has a lot of good qualities and I would suggest it as well if Flightbeam wasn't doing it. It is in a valley. The area around the airport is densely populated which makes for convincing approaches. Also, depending on the runway that is in use, you will have downtown and a couple stadiums along the approach.

I know I suggested KIAH - mainly because I think it is the most commercially viable option but I do agree that KSAN would be a wonderful choice if FT is not going to redo it. Of course, you would need to beef up the area as well to really do it right (downtown, parking garage, freeway, Coronado...). It would make a great companion to LAX and LAS. With FB's SFO and their eventual release of PHX. I know I would spend a lot of time flying between those 5 airports.

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2011, 03:23:02 am »
...but I do agree that KSAN would be a wonderful choice if FT is not going to redo it. Of course, you would need to beef up the area as well to really do it right (downtown, parking garage, freeway, Coronado...). It would make a great companion to LAX and LAS. With FB's SFO and their eventual release of PHX. I know I would spend a lot of time flying between those 5 airports.

I second this.
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

roger82

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:14:09 am »
after KLAX the team will make vancouver or miami?

D_mitris

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 09:01:21 am »
If you want a international airport then a good cantidate would be CYYZ Toronto Canada.   The largest airport in Canada.

Another one is KATL.  A Delta hub that could use some modern scenery.

I think one of the biggest challenges would be Charles De Gaulle France.  CDG would be my second choice after CYYZ.

signmanbob

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2011, 01:41:43 am »
I believe that FSDT should look at an international hub that has never been given the attention of a payware developers talent.  I know that many payware developers are not in the class with FSDT, but the airports are still better than default.
I would like to see FSDT focus on one like LIRF Fiumicino Airport in Rome.  To my knowledge, this as never had the attention that this classic tourist mecca deserves.  Anyone that gets enough pocket change to see Europe, wants to stop in Rome.  Chances are that they would be using the services of LIRF. 
Let's see the true airport masters create it for FSX.

NZEddy

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2011, 12:47:56 pm »
Would be awesome for a FSDreamTeam YSSY to fit with Orbx Australia! Or Auckland International airport, NZAA in New Zealand!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:20:26 pm by NZEddy »

member111222

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »
I believe that FSDT should look at an international hub that has never been given the attention of a payware developers talent.  I know that many payware developers are not in the class with FSDT, but the airports are still better than default.
I would like to see FSDT focus on one like LIRF Fiumicino Airport in Rome.  To my knowledge, this as never had the attention that this classic tourist mecca deserves.  Anyone that gets enough pocket change to see Europe, wants to stop in Rome.  Chances are that they would be using the services of LIRF. 
Let's see the true airport masters create it for FSX.
Yeah, it is unbelievable how the addon developers treat Italy as a whole. One of the most beautiful places of the world. Tourism mekka for "the non prole I don't want to go to Mallorca, Ibiza...booze tourist", but for everbody who loves great architecture, art, fantastic food, excellent wine... ;D

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:47 pm »
Yeah, it is unbelievable how the addon developers treat Italy as a whole. One of the most beautiful places of the world. Tourism mekka for "the non prole I don't want to go to Mallorca, Ibiza...booze tourist", but for everbody who loves great architecture, art, fantastic food, excellent wine...

Aerosoft sell a very nice scenery of Florence, which WE made for them before launching FSDT.

It's one of the most popular touristic destinations in the world, it has great architecture, art, fantastic food, excellent wine, the airport features a very interesting approach because of the short runway, which is also beautiful to look at because of all the hills around and the scenery also includes the *whole* city rendered in 3d, complete with all historical landmarks, which is really a visual threat during final approach, since the airport is very close to it. On top of that, the frame rate is really excellent.

If you go to purchase that scenery en-masse, be sure we'll notice it, and we might change our mind about doing Italian airports. So far, it hasn't happened, and most of the US airports we made, sold on the *release day* more copies that Florence in the last 4 years...

member111222

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Yeah, it is unbelievable how the addon developers treat Italy as a whole. One of the most beautiful places of the world. Tourism mekka for "the non prole I don't want to go to Mallorca, Ibiza...booze tourist", but for everbody who loves great architecture, art, fantastic food, excellent wine...

Aerosoft sell a very nice scenery of Florence, which WE made for them before launching FSDT.

It's one of the most popular touristic destinations in the world, it has great architecture, art, fantastic food, excellent wine, the airport features a very interesting approach because of the short runway, which is also beautiful to look at because of all the hills around and the scenery also includes the *whole* city rendered in 3d, complete with all historical landmarks, which is really a visual threat during final approach, since the airport is very close to it. On top of that, the frame rate is really excellent.

If you go to purchase that scenery en-masse, be sure we'll notice it, and we might change our mind about doing Italian airports. So far, it hasn't happened, and most of the US airports we made, sold on the *release day* more copies that Florence in the last 4 years...

I actually have the demo. Don't know why I haven't bought it yet. Most of my rides to Italy lead me to Milano, beautiful approach over the alps and the big Upper Italian Sees, to Rome (always a small side trip to the Abruzzo mountains), Venice, Genoa (very high on my italian wishlist due to its wonderful location at the edge of the hills, town and the Ligurian Sea (though I tink it will never be done)), Naples, Palermo (trip to Stromboli).

I am no expert, but at least Malpensa and Fiumicino could be successful. I think they are not slightly less interesting than Athens which led the simmarket bestseller list for several weeks almost until now.   

AaronMyers

« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »

They do? I'm not seeing it...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2011, 10:44:54 pm »