Author Topic: What's next after KLAX?  (Read 17867 times)

fwerff

What's next after KLAX?
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:49 am »
Hello,
I vaguely recall Umberto tentatively stating KLAX would be their last FSX airport, depending on the development of MS Flight.
Personally I don't think MS Flight will be out before mid-2012 and even then, I yet have to see what it offers above the current FSX+addons setup and how it will be supported by addon developers before I even consider to migrate to it.

With Hawaii Vol.2 released and KLAX apparently (hopefully) very close to release, is anything known yet on IF FSDT will do another FSX airport and if yes, what it will be?
From the poll that was held last year, KSAN and CYVR were my favorites. For the foreseeable future, I don't see FlyTampa updating their KSAN scenery and the CYVR development by another developer seems to have stopped (no news in about a year...).

Regards,

Frank

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: What's next after KLAX?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 12:44:51 pm »
I vaguely recall Umberto tentatively stating KLAX would be their last FSX airport, depending on the development of MS Flight.

Not really, KLAX *might* be our last FS9 scenery, however this is not even 100% sure right now. There are no plans to stop FSX development after MS Flight is released, the only thing sure is that we'll not do anything new for FS9, after MS Flight is released, because we simply don't have the resources needed to work and support 3 different platforms.

But we still have many years ahead of new FSX products, well after MS Flight is released.

duckbilled

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:40 pm »
I'd like to see KIAH, KSAN, KMEM, KMSY, KMSP or CYYZ.

Of course, I'd love to see an FSDT DTW but Blueprint did it  - its an ok placeholder for the freeware one from SSJ but I don't plan to see that any time soon.

Just goes to show you how much everyone hates Detroit - you can have an airport thats virtually brand new, tons of international flights, be a major US hub and be the best large airport in the country and no one ever suggests it except for me and and maybe two other people in the FS community. ::)

Dimon

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:37:01 pm »

Not really, KLAX *might* be our last FS9 scenery, however this is not even 100% sure right now. There are no plans to stop FSX development after MS Flight is released, the only thing sure is that we'll not do anything new for FS9, after MS Flight is released, because we simply don't have the resources needed to work and support 3 different platforms.

But we still have many years ahead of new FSX products, well after MS Flight is released.

As a comprehensive FS2004 user and dedicated LAGO/C9/FSDT customer I'm pretty happy with this strategy of yours. For FS9 user it's strategically and financially wrong to move to FSX now, assuming that MF is about to be released in 2012 - now matter what hardware is on the market right now. Then, we would start a new life from the scratch. FS2004 is the hit of all times, but it's getting old - time to move on.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:39:24 pm »
Just goes to show you how much everyone hates Detroit - you can have an airport thats virtually brand new, tons of international flights, be a major US hub and be the best large airport in the country and no one ever suggests it except for me and and maybe two other people in the FS community.

Blueprint just did Detroit recently, and Imaginesim did it long before them.  You want more?  ::)
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

duckbilled

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:53:08 pm »
Just goes to show you how much everyone hates Detroit - you can have an airport thats virtually brand new, tons of international flights, be a major US hub and be the best large airport in the country and no one ever suggests it except for me and and maybe two other people in the FS community.

Blueprint just did Detroit recently, and Imaginesim did it long before them.  You want more?  ::)

I don't consider old FS9 scenery (IS) and Blueprint to be competition. The IS version was never released for FSX, FS9 version was a major dud from the get go and the scenery is outdated anyway. Blueprint is not for people that want full featured scenery. They produce basic renditions of airports and they do it really fast. I am sure the SSJ version will eclipse the BP version once it is released. My point was no one ever suggests DTW - even before the BP version was released or before SSJ announced their project and I don't get why.

That being said, I have a list of what I would like to see. It was in the first sentence of the post - you know, the part of my post you didn't quote.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 02:09:31 pm »
...you know, the part of my post you didn't quote.

I saw your list, and Blueprint did four of those airports. Again, you want more?   ;D
Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of any developer who charges for freeware quality sceneries, just pointing out that these airports are available to the community.  I'd rather see FSDT make something that isn't.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Bakern

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 02:22:57 pm »
Would be great if KEWR is "next up"...!!!  ;)

Brgds
Stein-Ove

fwerff

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:44 am »

Thanks Umberto for clearing that up for me. Very happy with your strategy. I'm a loyal FSDT customer and you can count me in with whatever airports you create for FSX!  ;D

duckbilled

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 03:14:38 am »
I saw your list, and Blueprint did four of those airports. Again, you want more?   ;D

I guess my answer is yes to that question.  ;D

Whether Blueprint does an airport is irrelevant to me. If I really have to have the airport (DTW for ex), I'll buy something from them but for the most part, I don't consider any of the airports they have released as "done". Its like saying we don't need a 787 because Abacus did one.

MrSpeaker

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 04:04:57 am »

Its like saying we don't need a 787 because Abacus did one.

Best line ever!!! ;D
Ian

I7 975 Extreme @ 4.2 Ghz
Nvidia 260 GTX
Gigabyte X58-UD7
6GB Corsair Dominator 1600
Raptors
Corsair 800D Obsidian
XP 64
HP 24 In Widescreen
BOSE Companion 3
Seinfeld Quote of the Month:

"  It's like I'm Neil Armstrong. I turn around for a sip of Tang and. you jump out first

SirIsaac726

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2011, 06:06:51 am »
I am not a fan of any developer who charges for freeware quality sceneries

Don't take this personally Bruce but I cannot stand it when people say this.  Who determines what "freeware quality" is?  What about SunSkyJet and the rest of Shez Ansari's airport sceneries?

Pontiac151

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:22:30 am »
Would be great if KEWR is "next up"...!!!  ;)

Brgds
Stein-Ove

Heck yea!!!!!

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 01:31:42 pm »
Who determines what "freeware quality" is?  What about SunSkyJet and the rest of Shez Ansari's airport sceneries?

You're comparing Shez Ansari to Blueprint? Shez produces payware quality sceneries, I would've gladly paid for KPHL.

Its like saying we don't need a 787 because Abacus did one.

I'd rather fill my hard drive with Blueprint sceneries than fly an Abacus aircraft.   :D
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:39:59 pm by Bruce Hamilton »

duckbilled

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 04:31:00 pm »
Sorry I dragged us in to the weeds here.  Nonetheless, I think FSDT needs to look at airports that have international traffic so they can bring in the $. We want them to rake in the cash so they stay around for a long time.

As I said, I only buy Blueprint stuff when I must have a specific airport.  In FSX, DTW is the only one I own (and I have a lot of scenery).  When SSJ releases their version, the BP DTW will be uninstalled.  I am sure I am not alone with this strategy. Imaginesim's scenery is more advanced and I they can be compared to Tropicalsim.  I won't replace their airports unless something really amazing is released AND it is a key airport for me. I plan to replace the TS MMUN with the AMS version when it is released.

The point is FSDT needs to look at its actual competition - Fly Tampa, Flightbeam, Aerosoft (Simwings...) and maybe LatinVFR (yeh, I know).  Competing with an existing IS, TS or T2G airport depends on the product and its age.  Blueprint should not even be figured in to the equation.

And as I am typing, I think I may backtrack on my comment that ATL wouldn't be a good choice.  According to what I said above, it may be a good option.  Nonetheless, I just don't know what anyone can really do with ATL - the airport has absolutely no charm - no water, no mountains, no impressive architecture, no exotic AI, no above ground monorail (except for MARTA).  Maybe if they put a lot of work in to the surrounding area it could work but I just think it lacks that wow factor that will get people to dump their IS version.

Still, I think IAH is the lowest hanging fruit followed by EWR.  I like IAH more because it is on the Gulf Coast - an area that has little add on scenery.