Author Topic: PMDG 737NGX JUST GOT RELEASED!!!!  (Read 14745 times)

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
Re: PMDG 737NGX JUST GOT RELEASED!!!!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 07:55:39 pm »
Sounds more like a hog than a bug to me.   ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Silverbird

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 08:17:48 pm »
That's odd a memory leak bug they haven't seen before hmm interesting.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Silverbird

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 10:11:59 pm »
I got my NGX yesterday after waiting all day Thursday; When I finally saw that it was released it was too late for me to try it then. After I had bought the NGX and installed on my computer, I tried it out at FSDT' KORD but ran out of memory!! ??? So I tried again after letting FSX shut down this time trying the NGX at Des Moines International Airport. The results were a bit better but will continue to keep testing out this wonderful bird. :)

Perhaps it's time to upgrade?

Unfortunately Thanasi right if the system memory or the video card memory is maxed out stressed it will crash. it seems there is to many things going on with the ngx and a high detail scenery like fsdt. I went from a celeron E3300 to a 2500k and it made a huge difference in everything Im still using my old video card 9600gt till I upgrade again but it does it job for now.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 10:44:09 pm »
All I know is that I am waiting to upgrade until Microsoft Flight is released!

Amen to that  ;)
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 03:55:20 am »
Cool thanks Sean look forward to it ;D I know that you have been waiting for this bird a long time.  :)

Yes, your absolutely right, I have been waiting forever for this to come out since it's truely the only plane I have ever wanted for FSX and as a result I have been flying the LDS767 mostly and PMDG 747 for a long time now as a substitue for it.

Ok first let me give you a break down of my rig so you know what I am running it on.

E8400 OC'ed to 3.85ghz
2GB RAM and 1088mhz
EGVA GTS 250 OC 1GB
Win XP 32bit
System setup and tweaked by FS-GS

First time I loaded the PMDG I got very slow loading of external textures in the FSX opening window where the plane rotates in the window. I chock that up to the fact that PMDG used 4096 textures and that I only have 2GB of RAM. I was able to fix that by resizing my external textures to 1024, which BTW, is one of the reason I never buy McPhat textures since they are always 4096 and to be honest the difference in quality between 1024 and 4096 isn't that much of a difference compared to the additional overhead it requires. In fact I always run 1024 REX cloud textures as well in DXT format.

Anyways, I took the NGX for about 15 touch and go's around KDFW and FPS were great, averaged around 25 to 30 depending on what I was looking at and that was with 70% UT2 traffic. I also tested with UT2 turned off but the FPS gain was only about 2 to 3 FPS. The only thing that I did notice was that I was getting some pauses lasting around 3 seconds every once in a while. This could be due to the fact that KDFW was loading or unloading objects combined with the NGX doing its thing, but the pauses were more frequent than I get with any other a/c in my hanger.

Next I flew some T and G's at Santos Dumont SBRJ and noticed that I was still getting some pauses every once in a while that I never had before, although they weren't very often and I still had great FPS in the mid 20's and a fluid experience minus the pauses.

I also tried flying the NGX with the external model turned off completely and while it seems to work a little better it might just be a placebo effect because I still got some occasional pauses.

Overall, I am extremely impressed with this a/c. In fact, I would say that it's the best a/c I have ever owned for a destop sim period!! The sounds are incredible, the lighting is incredible at night time since you can adjust the brightness of every single light in the VC which is usually something most addon a/c dont do well.

About the only problem is and its not PMDG's fault is that I am running this bird at close to the minuimum acceptable hardware requirements since they really recommend a 64bit system with at least 4GB of RAM. If my system wasn't tuned so well and optimized so well to start with it would probably be almost unusable, but considering the rig I am using I get pretty damn good performance.

Even though I get good FPS, it does seem that the NGX draws or needs a lot more RAM that what I have and I get some disk swapping since I run low on memory, not a fault of PMDG though.

I will say this as well. I run all my sceneries and a/c in FSX VERY well, in fact so well that I have been putting of doing an upgrade for a long time now since I didn't feel it was really necessary. However, this a/c is so great that I think next week I will be building a new rig in the next week or two just so that I can get the most out of it. I hace never purchased any software aside from FSX itself that I would build a new rig just to accomodate, but this a/c is so well done and such a pleasure to fly that I have decided to go ahead and do an upgrade based solely off this a/c. Heck, once my new machine is built I probably wont bother to install half of the a/c I already own because I simply can't imagine flying anything else after having experienced the NGX. It really took a great a/c to make me want to devote 99% of my sim time but the NGX is truely a workof art and sliding back into the VC of the LDS767, PMDG 747, or any of the CaptSim offerings just isn't an option for me now that I have experience something this well done.

I forgot to mention the flight characteristics. This is the first airliner that I have ever flown in a desktop sim that really feels like it handles like the true bird. Of course I have never flown any airliners in real life or any level-D sims, but compared to the ones I have flown in FSX or FS9 this one handles really well when had flying and isn't at all twitch or accelerates or decelerates too quickly. I've noticed in a lot of the airliners I own that many are sometimes hard to trim or when taking off even with a pretty full load, they accelerate very quickly and climb way to fast. The NGX on the other had is very smooth, easy to trim, doesn't take off like a rocket and is very hard to slow down. All I can say is that they did a really great job with the flight model and even though I have no real experience with one, it feels great and handles like what you would expect an airliner to handle like.

Also the HGS is really great!! Hand flying ILS or visual approaches have never been more fun, easy and accurate as well. It's so cool to be able to keep the eyes out the window and not have to keep glancing down at your VSI or PFD.

I dont really know what else to say about it except that aside from the sceneries I buy from FSDT, this was one of, if not the best thing I have ever bought for FSX or for a flight sim in general and once I get the new rig built I will really be in FSX heaven. I really dont even care much about Flight now and will be happy flying this in FSX for years to come and it will probably only get better once they do thier 777 and Dash 8, although I imagine that the NGX will still be my primary mode of flight due to its versatility and the fact that I rarely do any ocean crossings or flights lasting 6 hours or more.

POST EDIT: I forgot to mention that I haven't had any crashes or CTD's yet which surprises me due to my 2GB RAM, but I do get some texture loading lag when switching from external to VC view once in a while.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:57:32 am by cmpbllsjc »

JamesChams

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 04:23:10 am »
Gents,
Did you all READ the system requirement spec.'s on the product page?
HERE: http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/product/ngx.html

• "Best Performance

Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or better
    RAM: 4GB+
    Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or better
    Monitor: Widescreen 1920x1080+

PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX."

If your running anything LESS than that, your going to be "crying" with a product like this.  Its NOT PMDG or FSX to blame, its the FACT that your system CAN'T perform the expected. :-[

So, if anyone needs advice on an affordable NEWER system, I might be able to help; Later! ;)

@juniormafia27:
I keep running out of memory at any airport.  So no it will be mandatory to upgrade now.
Yes, you more than likely do... as when they (PMDG) say BEST Performance, they are *really* saying that is what will make it run as desired by the user.  Anything less, won't!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:56:04 am by JamesChams »
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

yankeesji

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2011, 09:03:39 am »
OMG!  I agree with James... :o ;)

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2011, 09:35:38 am »
If your running anything LESS than that, your going to be "crying" with a product like this.  

Maybe or maybe not depending on how close or behind the requirements you are to the recommended. Clearly I need to update and this is the product that is finally going to make me do it, but even with my specs its not that bad.

Tonight I just got around to doing the tutorial flight from Gatwick to EHAM and then the return leg back to Gatwick. I used the UK2000 Gatwick and the default EHAM since I have never purchased the AS EHAM due to the reviews I have read. Anyways, on my "antique" rig I actually got really go performance into and out of each airport. The default EHAM yielded around 35 FPS on final and UK2000's EGKK gave me 25 to 30 on final, which is more than acceptable.

I do agree though that a 64bit system and 4GB or more RAM is really going to work better especially when or if you switch views a lot. Fortunatley I dont do a lot of spot viewing and usually remain in the VC the entire time, but none the less a new rig is in order for me to really get the most out of the experience.

If your going to try and run the NGX on either a dual core or quad core at anything under 3.6 ghz and 2GB of RAM or less, good luck. The only thing saving me right now is my overclock which affords good FPS but I need more/better RAM and a 64bit OS to support it.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 02:06:36 pm »
PMDG *highly* recommends the use of 64-bit versions of Windows due to memory limitations in FSX."

Well, I would highly recommend PMDG make their aircraft a lot less of a resource hog on our systems.  Forcing someone to upgrade to an iCore processor and Win7/64 just to fly a simulated aircraft is ludicrous.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

PUP4ORD

• UA777
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 08:33:07 pm »

Well, I would highly recommend PMDG make their aircraft a lot less of a resource hog on our systems.  Forcing someone to upgrade to an iCore processor and Win7/64 just to fly a simulated aircraft is ludicrous.
Going with the Intel I5 or I7 core procesors(2nd gen) makes sense. :)
KENNETH M."PUP"CRADDOCK II
Ladies and Gentlemen please fasten your seatbelts for a short ride......
http://pup4ordfsxmore.blogspot.com/

ALIENWARE AURORA R4 MSWIN7 64BIT  As for the rest of it......?????????

Silverbird

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 08:38:30 pm »
Thank's Sean very interesting it seems it takes allot in memory with the combination of a add-on airport, do to how complex it is I'm glade you will be upgrading I feel that you will enjoy your simming even more and its really worth it. the HGS seems lots of fun.

Bruce the thing is that hey are pushing the graphics and systems very much so it will take allot of resources there is no way it will sell well with low graphics you know how fsx is its a very demanding program especially when we add more and more stuff to it.
Cesar

New Jersey EWR