Author Topic: Scenery.cfg file Error  (Read 9293 times)

kiekar

Scenery.cfg file Error
« on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »
Hello,

I'm receiving an error each time I start FSX. This started after uninstalling Honolulu v 1.0.3. and installing version 1.0.5. The error is Scenery.cfg file error. Local scenery directory (FsDreamTeam\phli\SCENERY) in scenery Area.180 not found.

I unistalled the program by using Control Panel uninstall programs. I then went to the FSX directory and deleted the phli folder in fsdreamteam directory.

When I open the scenery.cfg file using notepad I cannot find Area.180, it starts at Area.001 and ends at Area.115.

How would I go about correcting this error.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
FSX Deluxe, Win7x 64, I7 920 OC 4.2, Muskin 6gb 6-7-6-48, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, EVGA GTX 570

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Scenery.cfg file Error
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 05:13:45 pm »
This started after uninstalling Honolulu v 1.0.3. and installing version 1.0.5. The error is Scenery.cfg file error. Local scenery directory (FsDreamTeam\phli\SCENERY) in scenery Area.180 not found.

No, you probably already had an error in the scenery.cfg (double areas, syntax errors or "holes" in the numbering), and installing and uninstalling the scenery simply uncovered it.

When I open the scenery.cfg file using notepad I cannot find Area.180, it starts at Area.001 and ends at Area.115.

That's confirms what I've said: the order is all messed up, are you sure there's no Area.180 ? They might not be sorted. And, check both the Area name and the Layer name.

Also, are you sure you are looking at the *actual* scenery.cfg file ? There are TWO scenery.cfg, the one in the FSX root is NOT the one FSX is using, it's ONLY a backup to restore all default sceneries in case the real one gets corrupted.

The correct location for the ACTUAL scenery.cfg used by FSX is:

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg

kiekar

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:37:15 pm »
Thks for your quick reply

Also, are you sure you are looking at the *actual* scenery.cfg file ? There are TWO scenery.cfg, the one in the FSX root is NOT the one FSX is using, it's ONLY a backup to restore all default sceneries in case the real one gets corrupted

Yes I am sure, I went to Users\Karl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\fsx. I checked both files, both are identical.

check both the Area name and the Layer name.

The layer number and area number match.

The thing is I don't see any of the fsdreamteam airports listed (have all of them), or any other add on.

Is it possible that FTX - orbx is causing the problem?
FSX Deluxe, Win7x 64, I7 920 OC 4.2, Muskin 6gb 6-7-6-48, Asus P6T Deluxe V2, EVGA GTX 570

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:45:09 pm »
Yes I am sure, I went to Users\Karl\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\fsx. I checked both files, both are identical.

That's NOT the ACTUAL scenery.cfg location! I don't know why you have a scenery.cfg there in the first place, the scenery.cfg is normally in 2 places:

- The FSX Root folder, which is just a backup

- The %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\FSX\scenery.cfg, which is NOT the AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\fsx, that would be the %APPDATA% folder, which contains the FSX.cfg instead.

The %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\FSX is located at:

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX - under Vista/Win7

OR

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\  - under Windows XP

kiekar

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I located the filea as you stated. I now see Area.180

Should I delete Area.180?

[Area.177]
Title=FSDreamTeam ZurichX
Local=FsDreamTeam\ZurichX
Layer=177
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.178]
Title=FSDreamTeam New York JFK
Local=FsDreamTeam\JFK
Layer=178
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.179]
Title=FSDreamTeam Las Vegas
Local=FsDreamTeam\KLAS
Layer=179
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.180]
Title=FSDreamTeam Honolulu International
Local=FsDreamTeam\phnl
Layer=180
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.181]
Title=FSDreamTeam Hawaiian Airports V1 Lihue
Local=FsDreamTeam\phli
Layer=181
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.182]
Title=FSDreamTeam Hawaiian Airports V1 Hilo
Local=FsDreamTeam\phto
Layer=182
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.183]
Title=FSDreamTeam Geneva
Local=FsDreamTeam\LSGG
Layer=183
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.184]
Title=FSDreamTeam Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood
Local=FsDreamTeam\KFLL
Layer=184
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.185]
Title=FSDreamTeam Dallas/Fort Worth International
Local=FsDreamTeam\kdfw
Layer=185
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Area.186]
Title=FSDreamTeam Chicago OHareX
Local=FsDreamTeam\OHareX
Layer=186
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
Should I delete Area.180?

Yes, of course.

But the strange thing is that the PHNL uninstaller should have taken care of that. And, to remove the fsdreamteam\phnl folder, which you said you had to remove manually.