Author Topic: Installing the Phantom for the 1st time  (Read 14050 times)

phantomfreak

Installing the Phantom for the 1st time
« on: May 28, 2011, 05:41:59 pm »
 I just recently (last couple of days) purchased the Cloud9 Phantom and I'm getting these problems:

1.  As soon as I start FS9 I get the error message:  "Your computer has run out of available memory.  Flight simulator will now exit... etc."
           Removed the bglman.dll files from the modules folder and FS9 boots ok.

2.  When I select any of the Cloud9 Phantoms to fly, as soon as I select ok to load that flight, I get an immediate crash to desktop, and I have to start FS9 all over.
           Removed the main panel folder from the cloud9 Phantom Clean and everything loads ok.

3.  Where do I go to do the activation or register my serial number?

Thank you

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installing the Phantom for the 1st time
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:15:40 pm »
      1.  As soon as I start FS9 I get the error message:  "Your computer has run out of available memory.  Flight simulator will now exit... etc."

Sorry, but OOM error can't be caused by the program.

Removed the bglman.dll files from the modules folder and FS9 boots ok.

That's probably because of antivirus interference.

2.  When I select any of the Cloud9 Phantoms to fly, as soon as I select ok to load that flight, I get an immediate crash to desktop, and I have to start FS9 all over.

No, you don't get a crash, you get a *quit* to desktop because, since you removed the Addon Manager, the Phantom will of course not work without it.

Removed the main panel folder from the cloud9 Phantom Clean and everything loads ok.

No, it doesn't. Doing this way, you loaded only the airplane model, without gauges so, nothing will work anyway.  The Phantom of course needs everything that gets installed, both the Addon Manager AND the Gauges so, if you remove things manually, it's normally nothing will work.

3.  Where do I go to do the activation or register my serial number?

Since you removed the Addon Manager, there's obviously no way to register the program anymore, which is usually under the Addon Manger menu, which of course it's not there anymore, since you remove it.

As explained here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=3777.0

And in several other threads, the problem is likely caused by your antivirus, that has mistakenly confused the Addon Manager as a threat, and it has blocked it, or corrupted, or blocked its download.

- During installation, you need to TURN THE ANTIVIRUS OFF. Not just quit from its interface: you need to stop realtime protection. Yes, this is important.

- After the installation, BEFORE launching FS9, you need to instruct your antivirus to exclude this file from scanning:

YourFS9Folder\MODULES\bglman.dll

Or, the whole MODULES folder.

- After having configured the antivirus this way, you can finally turn it on, and launch FS9

phantomfreak

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 11:36:17 pm »
I turned my virus scan off and redownloaded the file, started FS9, and got the OOM error.  The program is causing my OOM error.  My antivirus does not give me the option of excluding certain files. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 01:21:20 am »
I turned my virus scan off and redownloaded the file, started FS9, and got the OOM error.  The program is causing my OOM error. 

No, you are confusing the cause with the effect. If the antivirus is the problem (most likely is), it's not our program that created the OOM, it's your antivirus that, trying to block or, even worse, "heal" the file, has corrupted it. The result it's either a generic crash, but it can also be an OOM error, because the corrupted (by the antivirus) program might try to access some memory location that is not valide anymore, since the executable has been modified.

My antivirus does not give me the option of excluding certain files.

That's bad. Every antivirus program SHOULD give the option to exclude files or folders freely, because otherwise you don't have any way to defend against false positive.

You have only two choices:

1) Either you turn off the antivirus ENTIRELY, both when installing the Phantom (you need to do the install again with everything turned off) AND when running FS9

2) Switch to a more reliable antivirus, that will allow to exclude files freely. Most of them allow this, even free ones, like the Microsoft Security Essentials, or AVG for example.

phantomfreak

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 01:49:00 am »
May I request a refund.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 10:49:49 am »
May I request a refund.

All our products are sold with a Try-before-Buy method. The whole point of offering a Trial version, is to allow you to check how they work on your system before purchasing so, obviously, no refunds are possible.

However, that doesn't mean you don't have the right to support. In fact, you had it even before purchasing, because we would helped you run the product even when it was in Trial.

So, we'll continue trying to help until the product will run.

First obvious question: have you TRIED the latest suggestion, installing the Phantom and running FS9 with the antivirus DISABLED ?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 10:51:51 am by virtuali »

phantomfreak

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 04:22:52 pm »
Yes and it still does not work.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 04:56:58 pm »
Yes and it still does not work.

Sorry, but this means you probably haven't really disabled the antivirus entirely. Also, you might need to disable a firewall, if you have one, because the installer needs to download the bglman.dll files from the internet and, if the firewall (or antivirus, or anti-spyware) blocks the download, it won't be the correct version.

To check you have the correct files installed, check the following file:

yourFS9folder\MODULES\bglmanx.dll

Right click on it, select "Properties", then "Details" and check the version.

Then, check if it has a valid digital signature in the "Digital signature" tab.

phantomfreak

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 09:14:44 pm »
bglman.dll or bglmanx.dll?

bglman.dll version 1.0.0.80 and the digital signature timestamp is March 12, 2011 at 10:00:16 am

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 09:47:18 pm »
bglman.dll version 1.0.0.80 and the digital signature timestamp is March 12, 2011 at 10:00:16 am

bglman.dll, of course. The file is the correct version. Now do the following:

Remove all the bglman.dat files, there should be 4 of them, then reinstall the Phantom and try again.

phantomfreak

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 11:59:13 pm »
Reloaded FS9 and its working now.

Thanks for the help.