Author Topic: Issues with Addon Manager and FSDT KORD  (Read 12264 times)

brucek

Issues with Addon Manager and FSDT KORD
« on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:32 am »
I am reading the thread at Avsim.  Much has been said and it makes me ask some questions about my fax installation of KORD,  but I didn't want to add any more comments to that thread.

I recently re-installed Win 7 and FSX after a new motherboard install.   Previously,  I had purchased this scenery and had issues with the terminal buildings disappearing, and had consequentially not flown into KORD after being frustrated.

With my new instal, I figured that I would try it again.  I installed the KORD scenery and actualy got it working.  After re-installing other add-ons,  I eventually got to re-install my QW B757.  The QW product installed ok, but now the buildings don't show again in KORD. 

I'm not presenting the same issue as the thread at Avsim, other than there appears to be some interaction between products already installed and those that are newly installed.  Should I uninstall and re-install KORD again, and is there some reason why one product should affect another?  I should add that the Adon Manager shows KORD as being activated ok, it's just the lack of buildings that is the issue, and whether re-installing KORD will in turn do somethingbto my QW product.  I was going to buy the new KSFO scenery, but am hesitant since I understand that it also uses Addon Manager. 

Thanks for any help,

Bruce.

Thanks for any help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Issues with Addon Manager and FSDT KORD
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 03:18:21 am »
I don't think there's any relationship between the QW installation and the lack of buildings, the QW install can't be a problem, since the installer downloads exactly the same Addon Manager files from the same online location of our own sceneries.

It's not probably an Addon Manager issue either, since you said it shows KORD as active, which means it's working fine.

You might want to check, instead, if you have the "Couatl powered addons" menu in addition to the Addon Manager menu, since it is also needed for buildings to appear.

brucek

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:32 am »
Thanks Umberto,  I will look at the "Couatl powered addons" menu in addition to the Addon Manager menu.

By the way-  your support and patience has been put to the test today in other forums-  thanks for taking the time to reply to my issue so promptly.  And, speaking for the FSDT and QW products that I have, they are excellent.

Thanks,  Bruce.

brucek

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 06:55:54 am »
Hi Umberto,

I can confirm that the "Couatl powered add ons" is not in the FSX Addon menu.  Should Ireinstall it?  And why would it not be there now, I wonder-  since it also is needed for the buildings to appear, I assume it used to be in the FSX menu. 

Thanks, Bruce.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 10:40:55 am »
It's likely it has been blocked by the Antivirus. As explained in many other threads about missing buildings, the solutions is:

- Uninstall the scenery. Reply YES when asked if you want to remove the Addon Manager and the Couatl Engine. Reply YES to both questions.

- TURN OFF your antivirus. Don't just exit from its interface, but turn off the real time protection. Actual wording changes between products, however, it's the option to scan every file that gets open in real time, without user intervention.

- Reinstall the scenery with the Antivirus TURNED OFF. Don't launch FSX yet.

- Configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\couatl.exe

YourFSXFolder it's usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X, if you installed it in the default folder.

- Now you can turn the antivirus back on, and launch FSX.

- Check you are seeing BOTH the "Addon Manager" menu AND the "Couatl powered products" menu under the "Addons" menu.

brucek

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 08:43:06 pm »
Thanks for your reply,  Umberto.  I will try your suggested remedy.

Just a note for you-  the issue of the building disappearing occurred after the QW B757 aircraft was installed, and was shortly after I had re-installed Windows 7 (64) and FSX after a motherboard change.  However, at that time, I had not yet installed an anti-virus software,  so it must not have been the issue in the lack of the Couatl file in FSX.  It could be corruption of the exe.xml file, however if it is then it's the only addon file that is affected (I have seen issues with the exe.xml file before, and usually I lose FSUIPC and many other add-ons).  I hope that I can restore some stability to this Couatl file somehow, I had several occasions in the past where it stopped running for no apparent reason.

Thanks again,  Bruce.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »
It could be corruption of the exe.xml file, however if it is then it's the only addon file that is affected (I have seen issues with the exe.xml file before, and usually I lose FSUIPC and many other add-ons).

Yes, if your exe.xml becomes corrupted, or it's missing, Couatl.exe will not load. However, our installers check that file first so, if you run any of our installers, or the Stand-Alone Addon Manager installer, if your EXE.XML is corrupted, you'll get a warning, and given the option to recreate one from scratch.

FSUIPC it's a .DLL, so the affected file is DLL.XML, which is not related to Couatl, rather to the Addon Manager and, even in this case, if anything corrupts it, running any of our installers will give you a chance to rebuild it.

Of course, when rebuilt from scratch, the two XML files will only contain our modules, you'll have to reinstall all the ones you had before but, at least, if something has corrupted them, it's an easy way to have them cleaned up.

brucek

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 05:38:46 am »
Hi Umburto,

Since the last post,  I have not yet had time to do as you suggested and remove KORD, the Addon Manager, and Couatl.  However,  I have since purchased the KSFO from FlightBeam, and activated it.  It works fine.

Now that I am again turning my attention to the missing buildings in KORD, my question before uninstalling the above is whether any of the KORD, Addon manager and/or Couatl will affect my FlightBeam KSFO being activated, and if so, how should I deal with that?

What is happening now is that when FSX boots, I get an error saying that "The Couatl Scipting Engine has encountered an error when loading addon OHare X, one or more files may be outdated or corrupted"

Thanks again for your help,  Bruce.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:16:21 am »
Now that I am again turning my attention to the missing buildings in KORD, my question before uninstalling the above is whether any of the KORD, Addon manager and/or Couatl will affect my FlightBeam KSFO being activated, and if so, how should I deal with that?

It will surely not affect the activation, since activation is never lost, unless you change hardware or reinstall Windows from scratch.

What is happening now is that when FSX boots, I get an error saying that "The Couatl Scipting Engine has encountered an error when loading addon OHare X, one or more files may be outdated or corrupted"

The message doesn't say just that. It also says "Installing the Stand-Alone Addon Manager will fix this", which is of course the correct solution.

I suggest installing KORD, then download the Stand-Alone Addon Manager and install it.

OR

Download again the full installer for KORD, this will not require updating the Stand-Alone Addon Manager after installing it.

brucek

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 03:16:40 pm »
Thanks-  I will try downloading the full kord product again I think, sounds like the best way.  I assume that I need to first uninstall the current kord version, and should that be done by add/remove programs in Windows 7?  Or is there another preferred way to uninstall the current version?

Thanks for your help,  Bruce.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 07:22:38 pm »
All our products are uninstalled in the standard Windows way, with the Control Panel, Add/Remove programs.

brucek

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 08:10:11 pm »
Thanks.

brucek

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 05:16:41 am »
Just to update-  I downloaded the new installer file for KORD, and all seems to work great now- after all this time, this is all I needed to do.  Thanks again, Umburto.

Bruce.