Author Topic: again problem reinstalling all sceneries  (Read 38705 times)

viennaman

again problem reinstalling all sceneries
« on: March 12, 2011, 09:37:10 pm »
Hi !

Again harddisk crash -i am now reinstalling the FS Dreams products - and again problems - i am downloading them - installing - first of all - they dont show up in the scenere library and are not located that automatically - why ?? Than i go to the addon manager - register them again - nothing - Zürich - runways no buildings once - than deleted everything again - reinstalled it - old weird buidlings.

I am sitting 6 hours now and ite not working.

Please help

Marek EHRLICH
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 10:40:29 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: again problem reinstalling all sceneries
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:02:05 pm »
If the installers can't automatically add the sceneries to the Scenery Library is not normal, doesn't happen, and it indicates a problem with either your scenery.cfg or your registry keys. It's surely not a problem of our product, because if it was, it would happen to everyone.

You are not saying which version of Flight simulator you are using so it's difficult to help you if you aren't more precise.

In any case, regardless of the version, fact the installers can't add the scenery to the Scenery Library means there's something wrong with your system, and it doesn't normally happen.

Some things that might be wrong in your system and can cause this are:

- Another addon has corrupted your scenery.cfg. In this case you should have seen a warning by our installers, with a message listing the problem line and a warning the installation hasn't completed. If the installation hasn't completed, the scenery will not obviously show

- Your Flight sim registry keys are either missing, corrupted or pointing to the wrong folder. In this case, depending if you have or not another valid Flight sim installation in the folder pointed by your registry, the scenery will install correctly, but not in the flight sim installation you normally use. This can also be caused by other products that corrupt the Flight registry keys, or by a registry cleaner.

- Your user account has limited permission settings and it doesn't allow to access and rewrite the scenery.cfg. In this case, try to run the installer using an user account with Admin rights.

viennaman

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:18:10 pm »
tks for the help.

i am running FS 9 - where can i find the flight sim reg key ?

Best regards marek

viennaman

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:36:46 pm »
add-on manager 1.8 is okay ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
i am running FS 9 - where can i find the flight sim reg key ?

You don't say which OS you are using, because that's changes too:

Under Windows XP or Vista/Windows7 32 bit, is under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0\EXE Path

Under Vista/Windows 7 64 bit is under:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\microsoft games\flight simulator\9.0\EXE Path

add-on manager 1.8 is okay ?

It's the current version, since all the installer automatically gets it online when running. However, the problem of sceneries not being added automatically to the Scenery Library doesn't have anything to do with the Addon Manager, it's something wrong in your system that is affecting the installer, and the Addon Manager hasn't run yet at that point.

viennaman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:35:42 pm »
i am running OS - Windows 7

Okay - i have a problem that the sceneries are not  being added automatically to the Scenery Library - but where is the problem ?????? everything else is running fine - only the FS Dreams products not.

Please adivse

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:49:23 pm »
i am running OS - Windows 7

You haven't said if you use 32 or 64 bit, and there's a difference regarding to registry keys, as I've indicated in my previous message.

Okay - i have a problem that the sceneries are not  being added automatically to the Scenery Library - but where is the problem ?????? everything else is running fine - only the FS Dreams products not.

"running fine" doesn't mean much, depending on what your other addon installers are trying to do.

Do you mean you have other addon sceneries that are supposed to automatically add their area to the Scenery Library using their installer which installs and successfully add their area to the Scenery Library automatically, and only the FSDT scenery installers fail to add the scenery to the Scenery Libraray automatically ?

Or, do you mean they just runs fine, but they don't need to interact with the scenery.cfg, so it's not really relevant to this issue anyway ?

It's possible you configured FS9 to run into any of the XP Compatibility modes ? This is wrong and shouldn't be used, and it also affect the location of the scenery.cfg in use. The scenery.cfg is located in different places, depending on the OS, it can be both in the FS9 root folder (as in XP) OR in the %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FS9 folder (as in Vista\Win7 )

Our installer automatically updates BOTH locations of the scenery.cfg, the XP location and the Vista/Win7 location so, this shouldn't be an issue.

However, if on top of running FS9 in XP mode, you also installed it into the default C:\Program Files (or in the C:\Program Files (x86 ) under a 64 bit OS), under Vista/Win7 there's no write permission on this folder. Which is why the scenery.cfg in Vista/Win7 resides in %appdata% but if the XP mode moves the location of the scenery.cfg to the FS9 root folder, the installer can't modify it.

You should check if your are running FS9 into XP compatibility mode (or any of the compatibility modes) and turn it off, the run all our installers again.

As a general suggestion, it's best NOT to install FS9 or FSX into the C:\Program Files default folder under Vista/Win7 but, instead, use a folder you specify, like C:\FS9. This way, you don't have any permission problems from any addon installer that need to modify any of the configuration files.

viennaman

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 05:14:04 pm »
Umberto,

thanks for the answers - look - i am a medical doctor and a normal FS user - not a computer guy. iSo all that means nothing to me. i think i am running 64 - definitly Windows 7. The Fs was installed under Program files/microsoft games/fs9. Interestingly, FS Zürich after going 5 times by deleting and reinstlaling it - just showed up in the scenery library and it looks fine. The others, Dallas, ORD, JFK still dont work. Shall i just go deleting and reinstalling them all the time ?? How do i check if i run FS9 into XP compatibility mode (or any of the compatibility modes) ??????????????

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 06:25:29 pm »
FS Zürich after going 5 times by deleting and reinstlaling it - just showed up in the scenery library and it looks fine. The others, Dallas, ORD, JFK still dont work

The installation program is exactly the same and does exactly the same things with regard adding to the Scenery Library, there's no reasons whatsoever why Zurich would work and the others not, unless you changed a setting in the meantime.

Shall i just go deleting and reinstalling them all the time ??

The installer is able to add the sceneries automatically to the Scenery Library on the first try, it was already wrong that you had to try "5 times" to have Zurich showing up so no, you don't have to reinstall all the time if, with "all the time", you mean each time you use them.

UNLESS, your system has configuration problems, your scenery.cfg was corrupted for some reason. All things I've already discussed.

How do i check if i run FS9 into XP compatibility mode (or any of the compatibility modes) ?????????????

Right-click on the FS9.EXE, select "Properties", then select the "Compatibility" tab.

In any case, even if you are unable to find what's wrong on your system, nothing prevents you to add the sceneries manually to the Scenery Library, it will still work.

viennaman

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 07:36:39 pm »
Umberto,

even if i install the scenery manualy into the scenery library - the airport shows up on the first step of the list - i close the FS - start it again - he shows me that some changes are made into the sceneries - i open the library and the airport is NOT there anymore.

So give me please now exact instruction how i can get these 4 sceneries finally to work. i mean i have spend over 150 Euro and nothing works easy with only these FS Dreams sceneries.

TKS Marek

viennaman

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 08:00:28 pm »
or shall in deinstall the whole FS 9 - and put the FS dreams sceneries as the first step before putting on airplanes, AES, other airports ?

I mean that will cost me 10 hours.

Marek

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 09:34:50 pm »
even if i install the scenery manualy into the scenery library - the airport shows up on the first step of the list - i close the FS - start it again - he shows me that some changes are made into the sceneries - i open the library and the airport is NOT there anymore.

So give me please now exact instruction how i can get these 4 sceneries finally to work. i mean i have spend over 150 Euro and nothing works easy with only these FS Dreams sceneries.

According to your report, even if you add the area manually, FS9 can't keep the setting after a restart.

If this is really what's happening, then sorry no, this doesn't have anything to do with our sceneries: I might even consider a problem or better a unknown weakness in our *installers*, but if you can't even keep the area after adding it yourself inside FS9, then it's SURE it's not a problem of our sceneries, for some reason FS9 can't update modifications to the the scenery.cfg properly, and this is not related at all to *which* scenery you are trying to add.

Note that (ONLY under Vista/Win 7) the procedure to add a scenery manually on the Scenery Library  might be confusing: you might have to select a blank area in the file browse dialog, instead of clicking on the scenery's folder name, as it might be logic (and how it used to be under XP) otherwise the correct path will not be set, so FS9 might refuse the area after a restart.

Also, you can try running FS9 as Administrator, at least when you add the area.

viennaman

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 03:18:28 pm »
Umberto,

i deinstalled the whole FS 9 with all the add on sceneries - i installed the FS 9 again in the folder c:/FS 9 - not in program files - than i installed FS Dreams JFK - opened the FS and again - the scenery is not automatically placed in the scenery library - so now it has to be some mistake with your sceneries.

I am still waiting for a help here is i am going mad.

Marek

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:33:52 pm »
i installed the FS 9 again in the folder c:/FS 9 - not in program files - than i installed FS Dreams JFK - opened the FS and again - the scenery is not automatically placed in the scenery library - so now it has to be some mistake with your sceneries.

The fact that changing the FS9 folder hasn't change the issue, simply means the problem in your system that is preventing the scenery to be automatically added to the Scenery Library, wasn't caused by the FS9 folder permission but it's something else, and doesn't obviously means there's a "mistake" in our sceneries.

Besides, any "mistake" would be in the INSTALLER, not the scenery itself. Since it's even possible to create a new area in the Scenery Library without ANY files, an empty area, it means the scenery itself can't be a problem if your system can't add a new area, the only one that could do a "mistake" not adding an area, would be the scenery installer.

However, as I've said already, according to your report, you are even't able to add a scenery area MANUALLY inside FS9. Obviously, the scenery installer is not involved anymore at this time, so this clearly proves it's a problem of your configuration, since it can't be the scenery files (I repeat it again: you can add an area even without any files in it, FS9 doesn't care what's inside the folder, as long there's a "scenery" folder, it will always add the area, without checking what's inside) and it's not the installer, then it's nothing related to our sceneries.

More precisely, the SAME configuration problem that affects our installer, is also preventing you to add an area to the Scenery Library manually. Or, if I have to follow your own description of the problem, it's not the FS9 can't add the area, it's just that can't save the setting for the next session.

Changing the FS9 installation folder has only prevented you from being affected by permission problems but, apparently, this wasn't the problem, so it must be something else.

Are you able, for example, to manually add something ELSE (not FSDT) to your Scenery Library AND having FS9 keep the setting between sessions ?

viennaman

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 03:38:58 pm »
Umberto,

i can ad FS manually now - it is shown that the scenery is activated in the Addon manager but look at the picture attached - no building nothing. I can add all other sceneries (Imagine, Blue print, Aerosoft etc) without any problems at all. Only the FS sceneries are giving me hard times.

marek