Author Topic: Flight Simulator X Dissapointing  (Read 7248 times)

Mattace64

Flight Simulator X Dissapointing
« on: February 26, 2008, 05:57:57 pm »
I just wanted to see what others had to say.  I'd like to think I have a decent amount of experience with flight simulator, I've been using it since you had to use DOS to run it anyways.  I just bought a new computer, 2GHz with 2MB ram, so I thought I'd upgrade from Century of Flight (which I loved) to FSX, and man, what a let down!

Seems good looking from the previews, but just doesn't work that good.  So far here's what I've noticed:

1. Spot plane view corrupted (wings seems bent).
2. Night flying (spot or tower views) every thing is black, you can't see the airplane even with the lights on.
3. Sound is drastically unbalanced when cycling through views (not in your favor, louder views are louder).
4. Sound generally gets corrupted (I'll be flying a jet and all of sudden I'll hear a prop).  I've even had it to where the prop was sounding even after I quit flight simulator.
5. When starting a flight, the airplane will load up moving forward, often crashing into things before I have the chance to hit the brake. 

Has anyone else experienced these issues?  When I get home tonight, I planning on reinstalling Century of Flight since I find it more enjoyable.  Does anyone have any suggestions, comments or questions?

derschulz

Re: Flight Simulator X Dissapointing
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:14:30 pm »
dear Mattace64,

well - quiet interesting problems - most of us were bitching about framerates
ad 1 - is ok on my System, maybe something with the zoom factor
ad 2 - you definitly miss a thing, try different gracard settings (for the first time it is easy possible to save and recall display configurations within the running FSX)
ad 3 - again no issue on my system (what do U mean by "louder views"?)
ad 4 - never expierenced that
ad 5 - establish a situation on ground with parking brakes set and throttle idle or even better: cold & dark
         save this as a new default standart

Mattace64

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 07:28:54 pm »
haha... yea the frame rates do suck.

Do you have any details you could share about the graphics card settings?

By louder views I mean that generally the spot view sound is louder than the cockpit, so when I cycle between cockpit and spot view there is a drastic change in volume. 

Thanks for the response.

Also... just a general addition to this rant, is there any feedback that anyone can share about the service packs?  I know I tried service pack 1 last night, only to find that it did not seem to help any.  I just noticed service pack 2 this morning.  Is it new?  Has anyone tried it?

derschulz

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 09:08:54 pm »
I would suggest SP1 as a "must" anyway, SP2 brings DirectX 10 (only with Vista) to life and could improve framerates (there was a change for good with SP1 on my System)
I didn´t install SP2 because some older ACs and sceneries do have problems and I stick to XP.

It would be disappointing for me if the roaring sound of a GE or RR engine on the outside produces the same level as the outer marker sound on the flightdeck - you hear this difference on all past versions of MS FS...

there are a bunch of things to improve framerates, i will share some links when i am on my "flightdeck"

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:47:27 am »
you are saying pointless stuff

is FSX disappointing? yes, but it's still better than fs2004, wich most of the people only play because their computers cant run fsx with a good frame rate.
btw, 2ghz means nothing, if you have a pentium 4 with 2ghz you just wont play fsx, if its a core 2 quad with 2ghz, thats a whole different thing
get sp1 and acceleration and most of your problems will get fixed

fsx is really disappointing, but none of your problems is the reason for that

Mattace64

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 05:45:43 pm »
well you just opened up a can of worms...

1. I disagree with your first statement...  I find FS2004 better, because I didn't have any of the 5 problems I initially listed (btw my FSX framerate seems okay).  However, I suppose you still may argue that I have computer issues, which brings me to my next point... 

2. From my understanding I have a Dual Core Pentium E2160, and under my sys info it says its 2GHz, although when I google it says 1.8 so who knows.  I'm not sure if it's a "Quad," I don't think so.

3. This his been the most frustrating thing...  SP1 & Acceleration, I tried that, and the problem I have is with my video card, Acceleration won't even try to run with what I have.  So right now I'm running FSX with SP1 only... now I do understand that they have SP2 for users who are not running acceleration, but the problem is that since I "activated" acceleration, my computer seems to be stuck in thinking that it is still installed even though it isnt.  Subsequently, when I try to install SP2 it says something like "can't install because acceleration is installed."

*I will add that I would upgrade my video card, but I'm not 90% or more confident that it will solve these problems (I even have issues with sound).  Also, I can try uninstalling and reinstalling again, however I don't think it will help because once the software is "activated" windows seems to be stuck in thinking its still there.

God forbid you try to run a microsoft program on a microsoft operating system.

BlakTiger47

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 09:51:35 pm »
hey man. i believe that ur havin some problems but some of those things sound normal. yeah the outside spot view is gunna be louder because well lets face it, it is louder outside and airplane than inside. and which planes have "bent wings" in the spot view. most wings aren't straight all the way out due to the weight and they're usually slightly flexible so they dont snap off when u hit turbulence. and the night flying "problem" well wat do u want a spotlight on ur plane or bright night skies. last time i checked u cant see planes at night. these are just realisms they put in the game. maybe they're to drastic for ur tastes but if that's the case then y play FSX anyway.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

geoffbecks

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 10:19:40 am »
Yeah I can help with FSX no problem...
 This was a rushed out product from Microsoft that has only succeded in splitting the FS market in two, It has done no favours to the makers of flight sim add on's,  as they now have to make two very different coppies of the same product. Think how far advanced the FS9 products are compaired to 18 months ago,  when FSX hit the shelves,  Now think how much further ahead we would all be if all the work and progress and been kept in the one platform. Any way I,m getting away from your request for help with FSX, simple way to solve problems with FSX is press delete, stop buying extras for it and then all the work can be concentrated on a stable platform and Microsoft can go back and continue working on a worth while follow on to the much aclaimed FS9.
 I understand that we need to move on but what I can't see the scence in is bringing out a new platform that for the first time in the history of FS, you can't carry over the last generations aircraft and sceneries. Other than to make more money from the market. And if this radical shift needed to be done then they should have at least peoduced a platform that out performed its predecessor.
  The best thing that can be done  is not buy the product and force Microsoft into a rethink, Or will the next version be completly different each time a new game comes out forcing us to pay out all over again each time.
 Think about it and see if you can come up with a reason. ? other that making as much money as possible for Bill.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 10:30:09 am by geoffbecks »

Sekhet

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 07:58:59 pm »
Amen Geoff!
Cris B.
Capt. (Retired)

“There is a big difference between a pilot and an aviator.  One is a technician; the other is an artist in love with flight.”  - Elrey Jeppesen