Author Topic: g3d.dll error loading kord  (Read 8322 times)

webflighter

g3d.dll error loading kord
« on: December 12, 2010, 03:35:27 pm »
Loading kord by fsx airport mask or approching to kord, I have quite often a ctd. The error involves g3d.dll.
Is that a known problem? It doesn't happen for lszh or kjfk. Have I to update the scenery?

Thanks for support.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: g3d.dll error loading kord
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:31:27 pm »
Nobody has ever reported this before. It's probably due to other sceneries in the area. To update the scenery, just download the installer and install it, the version on this web site is always kept updated.

Catchman86

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:38:42 pm »
Are you running Ultimate Traffic 2? I usually get that error at complex airports when running too much traffic.

webflighter

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 07:59:32 pm »
No, I don't have it.

It surprises me that I have some ctd when I load kord. Now I've reinstalled the scenery again. We will see...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:39:16 pm »
I don't think reinstalling the scenery will make any difference, since we haven't heard of this error even with older releases.

Even if it would be beneficial to have the current version anyway, it's unlikely the g3d.dll error will go away, because it wasn't probably caused by the scenery anyway, unless some of its files got corrupted on your hard drive for some reason.

webflighter

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:37:49 pm »
that sounds logical.

I'm going to reinstall win7, fsx ecc..

I'll tell you after.

thanks

falcon999

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 12:31:38 am »
I am having the same issue on approach on 22R.  When FSX goes to load detail KORD FSDT scenery about 10NM I get the ctd on the g3d.dll.  This is a new Win7 64 install with ASE, GEX NA, PMDG MD11 and FSGenisis.  I tried downloading latest installer and uninstalling and reinstalling KORD but same results.  Flight Plan: KMSP Colt3.DLL MSN.JVL5 KORD.  Had same issue with PMDG744.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,
George
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:39:51 am by falcon999 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 12:40:36 am »
I can only confirm it's unlikely to be created by the scenery, otherwise we would heard plenty of reports of it in the 3 years KORD was out. A first test would be trying to temporarily disable every other addon used, leave ONLY the KORD scenery over the default MS scenery, and try a flight with a default airplane.

Other thing to check, is if any of your AIs has missing or corrupted textures, lots of g3d.dll crashes are caused by this and, many people mistakenly associated them with a specific airport, because the offending AI might appear there, and not elsewhere. If the crash doesn't happen at every time of the day or every day of the week, then it's surely AI-related, because of their varying schedules.

falcon999

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 12:56:47 am »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Also tested day and dusk and got the CTD. Not following you on the other AIs?? What do you mean?

I have tested further and uninstalled KORD scenery.  No CTD, approach went great.

Any other suggestions and thank you again for your assistance,
George
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 12:59:31 am by falcon999 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 10:06:39 am »
Thanks for the quick reply.  Also tested day and dusk and got the CTD. Not following you on the other AIs?? What do you mean?

That's still doesn't prove is not an AI problem, just that the one causing it is there both at day at dask.

I've said that if this would fix the crash, it would have been sure it was an AI problem, but that doesn't automatically mean if the crash didn't go away, it wouldn't surely be an AI problem.

I have tested further and uninstalled KORD scenery.  No CTD, approach went great.

That's still doesn't prove is an problem of the scenery. By uninstalling KORD, you are back to the default AFCAD for KORD, which is probably loading a different set of AIs (and in much less quantity) and if the one having a problem is not loaded by the default AFCAD, you can be easily mislead the problem is the airport (because it goes away by uninstalling), when it's not.

In any case, why you did exactly the opposite as asked ? I've told you to disable all the addons and leave JUST KORD, not the other way around, and this was precisely for the above reason that, removing just the scenery and believing this has "fixed" the problem, doesn't fix it at all, it only hide it, since you are loading a different set of AI because of the default AFCAD.

The only way for you to know it IS something in the airport, is to remove everything else, and use a default airplane instead.

THEN, if you have a replicable case of crash at KORD with NOTHING ELSE installed, it means we might also replicate it as well and, in this case, we can have a look at it. But, as I've said, is highly unlikely, since KORD has been out for 3 years, and hasn't been updated since more than 1 year so, any problem in the scenery should have been reported by a lot more people than just the two which participated in this thread.

falcon999

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 07:25:34 pm »
"In any case, why you did exactly the opposite as asked ? I've told you to disable all the addons and leave JUST KORD, not the other way around, and this was precisely for the above reason that, removing just the scenery and believing this has "fixed" the problem, doesn't fix it at all, it only hide it, since you are loading a different set of AI because of the default AFCAD."

I did this because I was still testing after I made the original post and before I read your response.  I thought it would be helpful to report back results.

On my next flight I will try your suggestion.  I will reinstall KORD and then disable all other scenery and fly the route with a default aircraft.  I will report back results.

"...any problem in the scenery should have been reported by a lot more people than just the two which participated in this thread."

I understand and appreciate your help even though this may not be a FSDT issue.

Thank you again for your assistance,
George
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 07:29:43 pm by falcon999 »