Author Topic: Airbraking  (Read 6942 times)

crim3

Airbraking
« on: February 18, 2008, 09:01:21 am »
The airbrake producing a nose up control is very noticeable in this f18, but I don't think that's right. I don't think that the blue angels has to compensate for this when they use it to match the speeds entering into the formation, as can be seen in the videos. It would supose a deterioration of the control.

Who knows anything about this? Is it wrong or right in the fsx-acc f18?

WilliamCall

Re: Airbraking
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:07 pm »
Use of the speed brake on the real F/A-18 is compensated for thru the flight control system.  I don't think the acceleration F/A-18 does that.  Also, the real F/A-18 will tow the rudders in with weight on wheels and has a g limiter as a function of gross weight.  Again, I don't think the acceleration F/A-18 has these features.  I think it would be very difficult to model the real F/A-18 flight control system using the FSX simulation engine.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 07:31:45 pm »
Also, unlike "regular" F/A-18s, the Hornets of the Blue Angels are modified: They have a downspring force applied to their control column which requires the pilots to apply aft stick pressure at almost all flight conditions, even when they fly inverted they need to pull (slightly) on the stick and do not push it forward through the neutral (pitch) position. This was invented as it was considered to make the tight formation flying easier.

BlakTiger47

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 08:53:17 pm »
I have experienced the same thing happening when i use the airbrake (spoiler, speedbrake which ever you call it) and it makes sense that suddenly putting up an angled, almost flat surface near the aft of the plane would cause the plane to nose up some since it would be pushing the back of the plane downwards as the air hits it. so yes some nosing up when using the airbrake would be expected. You justhave to learn to compensate for it.
"Get It Up, Get It On, Get It Down"
-Blue Angels
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
Light the Fire

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 12:01:19 am »
the point is, does the real f-18 auto compensate the speedbrake drag?

SUBS17

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:08:27 am »
Nope it shouldn't as the FBW should compensate likewise for trim which is the same sort of problem on the vertical/elevator axis. Best thing to do is remove the upward motion.

fael097

• 3d animator
    • my hornet [WIP]
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:12:14 am »
Nope it shouldn't as the FBW should compensate likewise for trim which is the same sort of problem on the vertical/elevator axis. Best thing to do is remove the upward motion.

i agree :)