Author Topic: Work in Progress / 01  (Read 106465 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Work in Progress / 01
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2010, 01:39:54 pm »
May I ask you a simple question? Why should I overclock the hardware for the software released in 2006? It seems that you all, folks, lost a common sense.

The computer from which I've posted the screenshot that clearly shows FSX having performances not too different than FS9, is not overclocked, and it's only 2.66 mhz.

Besides, the i7 is able to automatically overclock itself ( see "Turbo boost" ), by dynamically turning off unused cores and boosting the clock speed of the remaining ones. This is of course absolutely safe, since the total wattage remains basically the same.

So no, overclocking is not necessary at all, I'd rather research into using only 3rd party software that has been well optimized and is as FSX native as possible. THIS is the single best fps "optimization" one could do.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2010, 04:02:20 pm »
May I ask you a simple question? Why should I overclock the hardware for the software released in 2006? It seems that you all, folks, lost a common sense.   ;D

Ok, fair enough smarty pants, let me ask you some questions before I answer yours since you generally seem to be argumentative, lol.

Why would you put any money into a sim (FS9) that was released in 2003?

Why should you buy aftermarket airports when FS9/FSX already comes with the same airports?

Why should you buy after marker aircraft when FS9/FSX already come with them?

Why should you buy GE Pro, GEX, BEV, or any photoscenery when FS9/FSX already has ground textures?

Why does anyone do anything to thier computer at all like add a better video card, better RAM, etc?

Enough?

Ok, the answer to all the questions I asked is the same, because it makes the sim look better and sometimes perform better.

Same reason why you overclock, because if its done right, it allows you to run the sim better and faster, thus giving you more headroom to add more autogen, scenery, AI, etc. It's no secret that the MS versions of FS have always been hungry for core clock speed.

The same thing applied years ago when FS9 first hit the market, a lot of people couldn't run it very well on the single core machines at the time that were running stock in the 1.X to 2.5ghz range and like you they refused to go to FS9 and stick with either FS2000 or FS2002. Finally, like with all the past versions of FS, it took time for hardware to catch up. It wasn't until around 2007-8 when hardware caught up that allowed FS9 users to really run FS9 at high levels with no overclock, so that was about a full 4 to 5 years. Until that point a lot of folks had to OC their single core Pentiums to get the most out of FS9, now you dont.

Pretty much the same thing applies to FSX, except that now chips aren't getting a whole lot faster as far as clock speed, but more cores are being added.

Like Umberto said you dont NEED to OC, but I can tell you from my personal experience it sure made a HUGE difference I my machine, but like everything in life, what works for me might not work for you.

We all know by now, especially if your the same Dmitriy that posts on Avsim under the username G-YMML1, that your not much of a fan of FSX and have no intention of ever switching to FSX, at least not for "IFR" flying. So if that's the case why keep pestering those of us that like it or use it?

No one is trying to twist your arm to get FSX or overclock your computer, it only came up because newmanix spoke about it so I offered my opinion, so why bother with the comments? Just stick with FS9 like you already have and you wont have to go thru the trails and tribulations of setting up FSX and getting it to work well on your computer. For others like me, it wasn't a whole lot of work and for what little tweaking I did, its paying dividends.

BTW, please don't question our common sense, especially when you didn't even phrase your last sentence correctly when you questioned it :-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 04:24:58 pm by cmpbllsjc »

Dimon

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2010, 06:05:29 pm »
 ;D

Lack of reasonable arguments is almost always leads to the attacks on opponents' grammar.

PS. I'm not native-English speaker, if it was your question.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

Dimon

« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2010, 06:16:55 pm »
Ha-ha,

PMDG forums are flooded by Ryan (Tabs) comments that you MUST overclock if you want good results in FSX (it's so easy - even I can do that ::)).

Moreover, if you look at AVSIM hardware forums, you'll be surprised to find out that 90% of the questions are "how to get a good machine to run FSX smoothly", "Will I be able to run FSX with add-one sceneries and AI if I buy XYZ computer".And the most funniest topics are "I just purchased i7-980Extreme wit 24GB RAM and I still have 20FPS at FSDT KJFK with AI, REX, UT".

Grrrr...don't tell me that I just need to set-up the sim in a "right way" - I have been doing that successfully in last 12 year, until FSX showed up.
i7-6700k@4.6Ghz, Z170 Delux, 980Ti-6GB5700, 2TB EVO850, 16GB DDR4 RAM Win7/64 PRO.

Dimon

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2010, 06:22:41 pm »
Ok, enough: my final word - no more FSX vs. FS2004.

I think we're all victims of MS rotten policy that as of now we have two fully reliable simulations platforms. Sort of like AMD-Intel, Nvidia-ATI battles that were common a couple of years ago.

Peace.

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2010, 07:06:44 pm »
Lack of reasonable arguments is almost always leads to the attacks on opponents' grammar.

I wasn't making an attack on you or your grammer, just poking you a little since you were taking a jab at our common sense.

Your grammer and spelling overall is pretty good for it being a second, third, or fourth language :-)

Ha-ha,

PMDG forums are flooded by Ryan (Tabs) comments that you MUST overclock if you want good results in FSX (it's so easy - even I can do that ::)).

Moreover, if you look at AVSIM hardware forums, you'll be surprised to find out that 90% of the questions are "how to get a good machine to run FSX smoothly", "Will I be able to run FSX with add-one sceneries and AI if I buy XYZ computer".And the most funniest topics are "I just purchased i7-980Extreme wit 24GB RAM and I still have 20FPS at FSDT KJFK with AI, REX, UT".

Grrrr...don't tell me that I just need to set-up the sim in a "right way" - I have been doing that successfully in last 12 year, until FSX showed up.

Flooded about OC'ing might be a bit of an overstatement on their forum since I spend a good portion of my time reading their stuff every day, but the set up DOES have a lot to do with it as well, but the overclock for me was icing on the cake. I mean you can't take a computer with all sorts of junk installed on it, lots of non essential process running in the back ground, etc. Plus I have taken extra steps to mip map all my AI, use DXT3 clouds, and other performance saving things of that nature.

Like we've said before, FSX takes some horse power to run it at high levels and look/perform well if your going to use complex planes like PMDG, lots of AI, and complex sceneries, not speaking to FSDT's cause they are as optimized as you can get, but generally speaking of other addon airports by other developers. This is nothing new though, same thing happened when we went from FS2000 to FS2002 to FS2004 and now to FS9.

Ok, enough: my final word - no more FSX vs. FS2004.

Peace.

Thank God!!!!!

I agree, lets get back to the LAX which is what this thread it for in the first place.

Peace back at you  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:09:53 pm by cmpbllsjc »

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #81 on: October 07, 2010, 07:17:15 pm »
I do know for a fact that my system has turbo boost. So what you are saying is, if my speed is 3.3GHZ and I want to push it to 3.6 or 3.8 GHZ all I need to do is keep it cool? I never know when of if the turbo boost even works. What I can say is FS9 and all of it's many addons with it only ever seem to use is 1 core out of the four... Maybe the system is taking them offline as Virtuali said? If the turbo boost is kicking in when I am using FSX it sure as hell ain't enough... I don't want to screw up this PC either... I will seek some more advice thanks for all your info. Very helpful.  :)

I also use readyboost with a very high end 4GB SD extreme3. I know the system is using it bigtime but I am not sure how... Anyone understans readyboost and how it may help/effect FS?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 07:22:12 pm by newmanix »

Dimon

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
If you run CPUID during FS2004 session, you may find out that CPU frequency is jumping up and down. I also have i7-920 non-overclocked and I remember seeing CPU frqncy around 2.80-2.90 while the default  is 2.66

FAlonso22

« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »
Oh come on, in the KDFW FSX image there are five ai traffic airplanes, and the fs9 image have all gates with ai traffic. Apples to apples for fs9-fsx comparison.

IMHO, you should tell us, that for devs, FSX is more easy and get more sales, and thats all. You are the seller and Im the buyer, if your product doesnt like me, I´ll dont buy it and end of story. But please, the FSX advantages over fs9 are ridiculous and the FPS disadvantage is very big. i7-980@4,4 + GTX 480 and 20 frames? Oh man.

For example, is FSX better than this fs9?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:21:53 am by virtuali »

Silverbird

« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2010, 07:47:44 pm »
You guys man lol! I'm running in E3300 which is a Celeron not the old ones which sucked lol and I overclocked it too 3.20 which performs like in Intel E5400 the temperature's are fine my case is horrible performance is ok not bad at all considering the cpu itself cost only 50 dollars and it runs fsx and fs9 not wonderful but decent.

What I have personally noticed is that fsx loves anything 3.00 and above problems is its not only the cpu speed theres also something called the l2 cache and of course the front side buss speed fsb. my cpu has a very low l2 cache so it suffers in performance http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=42771  the I7 920 has a 8 MB cache and of course everything else is faster. the E8400 has L2 Cache at 6 MB and of course the frontsidebus speed is faster too. since the architecture of the I7 is new it is of course way more efficient  in speed data etc etc.

One of the big issues were having at least for guys like me that like airliners is the aircraft that brings frame rates down which are not  efficient in fsx.  so while the scenery will be very good and effecent in frame rates that goes down the toilet once you have a very fps hungry aircraft. especially the gauges.

I love both fs9 and fsx in fsx its nice since you have access to higher resolutions I really do hope they can get at least klax for fs9 out hopefully. I admit it is very difficult unfortunately to get very high traffic with fsx since there is so many polygons like crazy working the cpu. but thats not are fault and more with the way the sim was made it was rushed out and

I don't think the aces team got to finish what they really wanted to with it. but then you have a huge problem continuing fs9 backward compatibly totally mess up the advances in fsx like fsx had when they wanted to keep backwards compatibly
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:00:58 pm by Silverbird »
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

Dimon

« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2010, 07:52:36 pm »

This is ED (edetroit). This guy is genius and that means that usual average standards do not apply there. ;D

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #86 on: October 07, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »

Stick to FS9 FAlonso22, nobody is gonna take it from you.

And yes, I still prefer my FSX, lol...

This is ED (edetroit). This guy is genius and that means that usual average standards do not apply there. ;D

LOL, for the first time ever I agree with Dmitriy  ;D

What does Ed's video have to do with anything? He's a one-off that doesn't share his panels with the community, so its not like everyone is using stuff that looks like that in FS9. No offense to Ed since he's a really nice fellow and I enjoy his videos, but that's just his choice since he doesn't want to have to offer support for his work.

Anyways, even as cool as his panels are, it's still FS9. I'll still take my setup.

That's the beauty off the two sims, we can each use what we prefer so I wish we could just get back to the LAX preview.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:13:43 pm by cmpbllsjc »

Silverbird

« Reply #87 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:31 pm »
As much as I tried to just fly with panels I cant! :D I need a vc it just feels better for me.  ;) Ed loves his 2d panels which is cool.  ;D sorry  for draging this thread Umberto I dont know is there anyway to spilt it to the general forums?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:19:10 am by virtuali »
Cesar

New Jersey EWR

cmpbllsjc

• Beta tester
« Reply #88 on: October 07, 2010, 08:07:09 pm »
You guys man lol!

LMAO, Aye dios mio hahahaha!!!!!

Yeah, I agree. For me VC's are much easier to fly and work in than 2D panels.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 08:08:53 pm by cmpbllsjc »

newmanix

• Beta tester
« Reply #89 on: October 07, 2010, 09:40:40 pm »
You guys man lol!

LMAO, Aye dios mio hahahaha!!!!!

Yeah, I agree. For me VC's are much easier to fly and work in than 2D panels.

+1 for VC!

Work in Progress / 02 ???