Author Topic: Installed QW757 and Add On Manager appears **SOLVED**  (Read 9678 times)

Noel

Installed QW757 and Add On Manager appears **SOLVED**
« on: January 09, 2011, 08:28:37 am »
Hello, something appears to be amiss and I don't know if it was something I did authorizing installation of several scenery packages from FSDT, but I had no intention of installing them.  A pop up came up after loading a flight into PHLI and told me a trial period was starting or something of that nature.  I wish to delete these scenery trials and return to what scenery was there previously, but the interface does not allow me to stop a trial, I guess w/o deleting Addon Manager, and then out goes the QW757 I purchased.

Please help me lose FSDT trial sceneries I was not aware I had installed.  Ahh, and I forgot to mention:  I had some odd pauses at PHLI taxiing around then taking off and I don't typically have that.  I have to wonder if it isn't related to these scenery trials.

Thanks in advance,

Noel
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 12:31:26 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installed QW757 and Add On Manager appears
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 02:38:58 pm »
It's not really a problem, it's just a cosmetic issue: that message states a Trial is starting, but nothing is really starting, if you haven't installed the scenery, it's just saying that because you are flying in that area.

The issue is, to check if a scenery Trial should start, the software would have to check if you really had the scenery files installed, and this should be done on every FSX start, which might slow down FSX startup time a bit, especially if one have lots of scenery areas installed.

So, in later versions of the Addon Manager, we removed the check, and simply issue the message if you fly in that area, regardless if you have the scenery installed or not. This will allow for a faster FSX startup time, but you'll have a Trial message without being really meaningful.

It's possible we'll put back the check in future version, because it might be confusing, but we would like to find a way to do it without slowing down FSX at start.

Noel

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 06:20:37 pm »
It's not really a problem, it's just a cosmetic issue: that message states a Trial is starting, but nothing is really starting, if you haven't installed the scenery, it's just saying that because you are flying in that area.

Umberto,

It's appears to be a little more than a cosmetic issue, I have to assume until proven otherwise.  A message that states a trial is starting that isn't starting is at the least, misleading and at worst may be involved in the hanging/pausing that heretofore was not experienced by my install.  You did not comment on this in your reply, but I can tell you with certainty, never ever have I experienced these prolonged hangs while in the Hawaiian areas.  They occurred every several seconds, and lasted maybe 2 seconds or so.  This happened subsequent to installing QW757.  The other thing you may wish to downplay as irrelevant or over the top, but to have a component installed cryptically, as appears to be the case w/ the QW757's undisclosed installation of Add On Manager, I find quite bothersome.  At the very least, it has taken me time to troubleshoot what is happening w/ regard to these "cosmetic" messages, that may or may not be cosmetic.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 10:33:36 pm »
I don't know why you wouldn't want to install the sceneries, they are some of the best available anywhere, but that is your decision.  The only indication you get about starting a trial period is a green bar across the top of your screen, not a popup window.  You stated yourself that the problems began after you installed the QW aircraft, I would remove that and the addon manager and see what happens. You may have to chalk it up to experience and buy something else.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Noel

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 01:46:22 am »
I don't know why you wouldn't want to install the sceneries, they are some of the best available anywhere, but that is your decision.  The only indication you get about starting a trial period is a green bar across the top of your screen, not a popup window.  You stated yourself that the problems began after you installed the QW aircraft, I would remove that and the addon manager and see what happens. You may have to chalk it up to experience and buy something else.

I have no intention of installing any scenery from FSDT currently, so yes, it's my decision.  I stand corrected, it was a green bar that popped up now that you mention it.  Of note, NO other scenery I regularly fly in creates hangs as I found in the Hawaiian location, WHEN the green bar appeared immediately before this aberrant behavior.  I've flown the QW757 all over in other areas, no problems.  It wasn't until I set up a flight at PHLI that the issue appeared.  Yes, I did uninstall both the QW and the add on manager, and voila the hang is now gone in the Hawaiian area.  Unfortunately, there is no way to have the QW w/o the add on manager, though the reverse is possible.  I reinstalled the QW and so will see if the Hawaiian issue is gone or not.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 04:23:57 am »
A message that states a trial is starting that isn't starting is at the least, misleading and at worst may be involved in the hanging/pausing that heretofore was not experienced by my install.  You did not comment on this in your reply, but I can tell you with certainty, never ever have I experienced these prolonged hangs while in the Hawaiian areas

You can fix it by removing the bglmanx_fsdt.dat. Of course, no FSDT scenery will work then. We'll probably restore the previous file check, probably slowing down FSX startup (but, as they say, what you don't see, doesn't hurt...).

The other thing you may wish to downplay as irrelevant or over the top, but to have a component installed cryptically, as appears to be the case w/ the QW757's undisclosed installation of Add On Manager, I find quite bothersome. 

Yes, this is irrelevant, and you are wrong on this matter. The QW757 don't "cryptically install" (if there's even such thing as installing "cryptically") JUST the Addon Manager, it ALSO "cryptically" installs FSUIPC, yet you don't seem to have a problem with it, and I never seen an airplane that also installs FSUIPC (or LVLD.DLL or PMDGOPTIONS.DLL), doing it so in a non "cryptical" way, meaning asking if you want to install it or not.

Quite simply, if a product, airplane or scenery, requires a module to work, it wouldn't make any sense to let any choice when installing, like "I'm going to install the xxx module this product will not work without, do you want to install it or not ?".

You are installing a product and everything needed for it work has to be installed, if you would rather not have the module, you might as well uninstall the whole product, since it wouldn't work without it anyway, which is why the Uninstallers (both the QW757 and our own) WILL offer you a choice to remove the module, since it's the only time you can safely choose to remove them.

Noel

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 06:42:40 am »
A message that states a trial is starting that isn't starting is at the least, misleading and at worst may be involved in the hanging/pausing that heretofore was not experienced by my install.  You did not comment on this in your reply, but I can tell you with certainty, never ever have I experienced these prolonged hangs while in the Hawaiian areas

You can fix it by removing the bglmanx_fsdt.dat. Of course, no FSDT scenery will work then. We'll probably restore the previous file check, probably slowing down FSX startup (but, as they say, what you don't see, doesn't hurt...).

The other thing you may wish to downplay as irrelevant or over the top, but to have a component installed cryptically, as appears to be the case w/ the QW757's undisclosed installation of Add On Manager, I find quite bothersome.

Yes, this is irrelevant, and you are wrong on this matter. The QW757 don't "cryptically install" (if there's even such thing as installing "cryptically") JUST the Addon Manager, it ALSO "cryptically" installs FSUIPC, yet you don't seem to have a problem with it, and I never seen an airplane that also installs FSUIPC (or LVLD.DLL or PMDGOPTIONS.DLL), doing it so in a non "cryptical" way, meaning asking if you want to install it or not.

Quite simply, if a product, airplane or scenery, requires a module to work, it wouldn't make any sense to let any choice when installing, like "I'm going to install the xxx module this product will not work without, do you want to install it or not ?".

You are installing a product and everything needed for it work has to be installed, if you would rather not have the module, you might as well uninstall the whole product, since it wouldn't work without it anyway, which is why the Uninstallers (both the QW757 and our own) WILL offer you a choice to remove the module, since it's the only time you can safely choose to remove them.

Makes perfect sense.  FSUIPC was installed and registered previously.  Hopefully user settings were not disturbed, correct?

Do please answer this please since this is what appeared to me to have happened:  was I given the choice to install or not install FSDT sceneries, while still having a successful install of the QW757?  If so, when?  

Does 'removing bglmanx_fsdt.dat' remove the sceneries installed, or just remove the message?  If it's the latter, is the only solution to delete AOM?

Fresh Edit:  Umberto, this is not a foreign issue to you I see.  Please note, the exact same complaint.  Pauses, still happening with the current version, no authorizes installation of sceneries, misleading trial banner.  Come on dude, defense mode or consider perhaps it might be worth acknowledging the feedback and addressing the concerns?

Problem with Addon-Manager and Trial Mode
« on: October 22, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
   Reply with quoteQuote
Hi,

I don't own any of the FSDreamteam airports (yet) but have the QualityWings 757 and therefore the Addon Manager installed.
I downloaded and installed the Standalone Addon-Manager as well from one of the Info-Sites for the FSDT Products.
Yesterday I wanted to fly in Hawaii and picked PHLI which I think would be covered with the Hawaiian Airports Volume 1 and once the flight started I got the announcement that Hawaiian Airports Volume 1 now runs in Trial-Mode. But I didn't even download the product nor install it or any demo-version.
Plus: when loading there the sim pauses and every 2-3 seconds, so it's impossible to fly there. To rule out ony problems with my sim I restarted the flight at Dillingham ( from Aerosoft) and had no problems there. The folder fsdreamteam in the FSX main folder only contains a folder called couatl and none of the scenery.cfgs in various places have any scenery entries for any of the fsdreamteam-sceneries.
I would definetely like to get some of your products but would still like to fly at some places for which you offer sceneries without having to install them.
I did not test yet at other airports so I don't know yet if it'll be the same there.

Thanks

Malte
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 06:55:49 am by Noel »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 11:37:22 am »
Makes perfect sense.  FSUIPC was installed and registered previously.  Hopefully user settings were not disturbed, correct?

Of course, if you already had FSUIPC installed, nothing will be touched and you surely haven't noticed the QW757 installer added it.

But, if you were starting afresh with a new FSX installation, BOTH the Addon Manager AND the FSUIPC would have been added, without asking your consent because, of course, both are needed for that product to work so, it wouldn't make any sense asking because, if you replied No, it would be then just useless to continue the installation.

Do please answer this please since this is what appeared to me to have happened:  was I given the choice to install or not install FSDT sceneries, while still having a successful install of the QW757?  If so, when?

No FSDT scenery has been installed without your knowledge, just the Addon Manager that supports them.

Does 'removing bglmanx_fsdt.dat' remove the sceneries installed, or just remove the message?  If it's the latter, is the only solution to delete AOM?

As I've said, no sceneries have been installed. By removing the bglmanx_fsdt.dat file, you are removing the Addon Manager support for them so, it will stop checking if you are entering in their areas.

Pauses, still happening with the current version, no authorizes installation of sceneries, misleading trial banner.  Come on dude, defense mode or consider perhaps it might be worth acknowledging the feedback and addressing the concerns?

First, as I've said twice, there isn't ANY installation of sceneries so, you have to scratch that one. And, you are wrong saying "perhaps it might be worth acknowledging the feedback" because, this is JUST what I've said in my previous reply to you:

It's possible we'll put back the check in future version, because it might be confusing, but we would like to find a way to do it without slowing down FSX at start.

So, you are given BOTH a short term solution that WILL fix your problem (remove the bglmanx_fsdt.dat file) AND the assurance this WILL be changed in a further update, isn't enough acknowledgement ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2011, 12:31:14 pm »
The problem with the dummy Trial message at PHLI/PHTO if the scenery wasn't installed has been already fixed, it will be enough to reinstall any product that comes with the Addon Manager (including the QW757) OR the Stand-Alone Addon Manager for FSX, and the updated files will be fetched from the internet automatically.

Noel

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2011, 08:04:27 am »
So, you are given BOTH a short term solution that WILL fix your problem (remove the bglmanx_fsdt.dat file) AND the assurance this WILL be changed in a further update, isn't enough acknowledgement ?

Ahh, sorry I misunderstood the part on the change in a future update.  As long as the pauses experienced by Malte and myself disappear, all will be well.  The part about not being able to fly out of PHLI due to hangs every few seconds was the exact experience I had.  Thank you for your assistance.

Noel

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2011, 08:47:54 am »
Ahh, sorry I misunderstood the part on the change in a future update.  As long as the pauses experienced by Malte and myself disappear, all will be well

The update is already out: have you tried it ?

Noel

Re: Installed QW757 and Add On Manager appears **SOLVED**
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 03:42:16 am »
No I guess I was thinking since I just bought QW757 it must have been recent enough.  I'll try that next, thank you kindly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Installed QW757 and Add On Manager appears **SOLVED**
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 04:28:48 am »
No I guess I was thinking since I just bought QW757 it must have been recent enough. 

No, it has been fixed yesterday, following this discussion. But, since our installers (including the QW757) are all getting the Addon Manager files from the internet, it will be enough you run any of our installers (or the QW757 one), to get the update.