Author Topic: Problem: Having to Manually Install FSDT Scenery for FS9  (Read 4196 times)

sax702

Problem: Having to Manually Install FSDT Scenery for FS9
« on: August 21, 2010, 05:28:11 am »
Gentlemen,

Appreciate your great scenery.  

Recently switched from Windows XP to Windows 7, 64bit, and had to reinstall everything.  My process was to install a scenery for each simulator and test it.  After the second or third scenery, I noticed that I did not see the scenery on FS9 (it was working OK until that point, and I don't remember which scenery it was, possibly LSZH).  I noticed that the scenery could be added manually, but after reading several posts here, there must be a problem with my scenery.cfg, but I can't figure where.  I'm attaching my current scenery.cfg.  I have been running the installer as an Administrator.  The installers do not report an error. 

Appreciate your help and apologize if this has been solved and I just couldn't find it.

Best regards,

David Vega
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 04:38:32 pm by sax702 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Problem: Having to Manually Install FSDT Scenery for FS9
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:36:38 pm »
The scenery.cfg in FS9 it's not in the same location in XP o Vista/Win7 AND it also depends if you use UAC or not. In XP, the scenery.cfg is in the main FS9 folder but, in Vista/Win7 it's in %APPDATA%\Microsoft\FS9 folder.

Our installers, to be on the safe side, updates BOTH scenery.cfg files, because you might sometime run FS9 with our without UAC (or "XP compatibility mode" ) and that changes the active scenery.cfg that it's being used so, there shouldn't be any problem with either method. BUT, if you have used old installers, they didn't worked that way so, one of the 2 scenery.cfgs might not been updated.

sax702

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:36:17 pm »
Thank you Umberto.  Found scenery.cfg files in:

c:/Program Files(x86)/Microsoft Games/Flight Simulator 9/
c:/Users/"my name"/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FS9

Files are not the same.  Any harm in making the files the same by simply copy one to the other location?  Is there a preferred way to fun FS9, explicitly as an Administrator or not? 

Appreciate your help. 

Kind regards,

David Vega

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:55:48 pm »
Files are not the same.  Any harm in making the files the same by simply copy one to the other location? 

Difficult to say: you might have some sceneries that were installed in one cfg and other in the other one so, what you should do, is probably lots of merging, which can be tricky.

Is there a preferred way to run FS9, explicitly as an Administrator or not? 

I think your issue might have been created by the fact that you sometimes ran FS9 as Administrator, sometimes not, and updated the Scenery Library in both modes so, the two scenery.cfg got out of synch.

It's usually best not to run FS9 as Administrator. What you should do, instead, under Vista or Win7, is to INSTALL it in a different location than the default C:\Program Files ( or C:\Program Files (x86) under 64 bit os ).

The issue is: lots of problems with addons are because the C:\Program Files folders is not user-writable so, many 3rd party addons fails because they try to write in that folder, because it *was* possible to write there, under XP, where those products were originally designed.

But, if you install it in a different folder ( I've always install FS9 into C:\FS2004 and FSX into C:\FSX ), everything will work, without running as Administrator, even older XP-only products, because that folder was created by YOU when you ran the FS9 or FSX installer so, you own it and you have full read/write permissions, even if you are not running as Administrator.

sax702

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 01:01:04 am »
Thank you Umberto.  Will follow your advice and synchronize the two files. 

Kind regards

David Vega