Author Topic: Question on pricing???  (Read 3876 times)

AA777-200ER

Question on pricing???
« on: August 11, 2010, 07:11:00 pm »
Your web-page (front-page) indicates that Dallas-Fort Worth is priced at 22.90 Euro which should be around $29.50 (8/11 exchange rate). If you buy from within the simulator the price is $33.00, which is it?

The frustration with buying from a European (not your fault) company (same applies to Sim-Market & Aerosoft)...Darryl  :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Question on pricing???
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:50:51 am »
Whenever a currency gets exchanged into another one, someone is going to lose money and someone is going to make money, but it's always the banks that make money...

If we applied the interbank rate, we'll lose some money when we get payed, since the US$ are exchanged to EUR, at a less favorable rate to begin with, and with fees on top of that, applied both by Esellerate to send us money, and by our EUR banks to recieve it...

Also, since the exchange ratio is not constant, and we get payed after 30/60 days, another reason why we can't apply the interbank rate, is that the US$ might go down in the meantime.

And, third reason, we are selling from the US (Esellerate is an US company) so, when Euro users pay with EUR, the payment is first converted to US$, and then converted back again to EUR, when we get payed, by our own banks so, another layer of currency exchange is made, and everytime currency is exchanged, there're always fees added.

For all those reasons, when making the US price, we add about 7% over the interbank rate, which just covers all the various costs, so we'll finally get our 22.90 EUR...

tubavet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 01:21:00 am »
Hi Darryl,

I've always been informed when buying of a website that is based on foreign currency and offered to pay in your own currency (eg: FSDT based in EUR, I'm GBP and USD for yourself) then pay in the websites currency for the reason that you and virtuali discuss.  If FSDT make the exchange from USD to EUR then they incur the costs, which they pass onto you.  If you pay in EUR then your bank/credit card company make the exchange and tend to offer a better rate of exchange as they're handling millons of transactions daily rather than just a few.

Phillip

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 05:02:26 pm »
If you pay in EUR then your bank/credit card company make the exchange and tend to offer a better rate of exchange as they're handling millons of transactions daily rather than just a few.

Depends on the bank.  I'm in the US, and foreign transactions are charged to my card at the current rate on the day I buy, and the bank charges me a foreign transaction fee of 2%.  I used to be able to avoid the fee by using Paypal, but even they charge it now.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock