Author Topic: Uninstall and Reinstall  (Read 5497 times)

perryfincher

Uninstall and Reinstall
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:56:28 pm »
Each time I uninstall DFW and make sure that (what I think) are all files deleted to perform a clean install which includes deleting the scenery from Scenery Library in FS9, I go to reinstall DFW and the add-on manager in FS states scenery is active but I get default scenery until I reload FS for a second time.  Is there a file that I missed to make sure is deleted before performing a clean reinstall?

Thanks
Perry Fincher
Trans World Virtual Airlines

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Uninstall and Reinstall
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:04:15 am »
The Addon Manager doesn't care if the scenery is installed or not so, it will always report "Active", as long the scenery is registered on that specific PC.

The activation information is NOT a file stored somewhere in the hard drive, it's stored in the Windows registry so, you can uninstall and reinstall an unlimited number of times, it won't affect the registration at all. You can even remove FS9/FSX, it won't affect the activation either.

The only way to lose your activation, is to reinstall Windows, or change major hardware components.

Which obviously make sense: you don't want to deal an activation system that requires reactivating the scenery each time you reinstall it, because it kills the activation while uninstalling...

perryfincher

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:11:37 am »
Thanks for the quick response.

After reinstalling, do I need to activate the scenery manually in the Scenery Library?
I have reinstalled, but keep getting the default scenery and FSDreamTeam is not showing up in the Scenery Library automatically.

Thanks again.
Perry Fincher
Trans World Virtual Airlines

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:17:29 am »
After reinstalling, do I need to activate the scenery manually in the Scenery Library?

Surely not.

I have reinstalled, but keep getting the default scenery and FSDreamTeam is not showing up in the Scenery Library automatically.

This shouldn't simply happen. It won't hurt adding the scenery manually but, fact that hasn't appeared, is a sympthom something is wrong in your system.

Do you recall having seen any error message during the installation ? The installer checks your scenery.cfg file and, if something wrong is found, it will issue a warning and the installation will ABORT.

Which measn, if you have seen this message, adding the scenery manually to the Scenery Library wont' help, because the installation never copied any of its files, because of the error. The only fix in this case, is to fix your pre-existing error in the SCENERY.CFG, the installer should also give you a line number where the error was found.

IF you are sure you haven't seen any of this messages, and still the scenery is not added automatically to the Scenery Library, then it's something else which is very wrong on your system, probably related to wrong user permissions