Author Topic: A proper Cube Texture Map for the F/A-18 cockpit  (Read 3353 times)

Voodoo

• Voodoo's Hangar
A proper Cube Texture Map for the F/A-18 cockpit
« on: August 01, 2010, 07:29:18 pm »
It took a long time to figure this simple problem out but we now have a proper Cube Texture Map for the Hornet's cockpit mirrors and canopy reflections. For some reason the original model was not released with this and the alternatives so far have been simple cloud texture images, and thus only partly successful. I discovered recently that Photoshop has an DDS plug in that allows you to create proper Cube Maps, so the problem is at last resolved.

If you want to see the proper cube effect there's a short video of it, called "FA-18 Cockpit Mirrors", here:
http://voodoo.mediashare.com?selectedalbum=voodoo449305

If you want to try it out, it's simply a case of replacing the file in the FA-18's Texture folder with the one attached here. (Remember to backup your original files!)
(And just in case the board gets one of its occassional housekeepings, I've also placed the file at voodoo.wikispaces.com)

It's not a major enhancement, but I hope it adds a little more to one of our favourite birds.
FSX Community Tweaks and Fixes at Voodoo's Hangar - voodoo.wikispaces.com