Author Topic: GSX Pro cancelled with error message.  (Read 253 times)

JackoJ

GSX Pro cancelled with error message.
« on: March 24, 2024, 06:17:51 pm »
Sometimes it's really exasperating.

I managed to almost complete a pushback with an A320 using GSX Pro :)
Then GSX crashed (see log). When you try to start it, the famous circles appear. >:(
Unfortunately I can't find couatl.exe or GSX.exe in the task manager to be able to quit and restart it.

But the worst thing is that after a pushback cancelled by GSX, you are now standing with the A320 at the beginning of a taxiway and get the display "NW CTRL DISC", which means that the nose wheel stearing pin is inserted because GSX did not complete the procedure at this point due to the programme crashing.
So you have to abort the entire flight because GSX has cancelled!!!!

After some fidgeting, I was somehow able to restart GSX.
Now GSX asks for the gate (which you have already left).
This means that you can no longer start a pushback to remove the nose wheel stearing pin and continue the flight. So you have to start the whole procedure all over again.
Very, very unsatisfactory.

Suggestions for improvements:
- Please let the user choose at which point he wants to continue after a program crash.
- Please give the user a chance to end respectively to restart the program somehow if the circles are spinning endlessly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Pro cancelled with error message.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2024, 02:07:05 am »
It doesn't seem you have the latest version because:

- That error on pushback should have been fixed.

- The new auto-restarter should have restarted GSX automatically. It's called couatl64_boot.exe and will auto-restart in about 10 seconds, if couatl crashes. If you don't have this, you don't have the latest version, because the latest version configures the sim to start THIS one automatically, instead of the couatl64_MSFS.exe directly.

When GSX restarts, for any reason, all its custom variables are reset to 0, precisely for the reason to restore everything in a clean and predictable state on restart. If a 3rd party integration relies on a GSX variable to enable some custom systems, it should probably check it regularly in case it might go out of sync with that internal simulation, for example because of a restart, which can as well be triggered by YOU, not necessarily an error.

JackoJ

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2024, 10:12:56 am »
Firstly, thank you for your answer.
My couatl64.exe was from 2024-03-04
I have just updated and now I also see a file couatl64_boot.exe.
Nice to see that this solves some problems.

Overall, I also have to say that GSX Pro has become much better and more stable compared to when I bought it on 2023-03-28.

Nevertheless, it would be desirable if you would create a smart way to start up again at the point where the GSX error occurred.
You will know how long it takes for a pushback to occur. It is then very, very annoying when you have to start all over again.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2024, 10:09:29 pm »
Nevertheless, it would be desirable if you would create a smart way to start up again at the point where the GSX error occurred.
You will know how long it takes for a pushback to occur. It is then very, very annoying when you have to start all over again.

If a crash happens during pushback, on restart GSX restores the airplane in a standard state: by unfreezing it and putting it back flat on ground in case the front gear was raised. That's the only thing we could do on our side.

Your particular example, was related to the Fenix NW CTRL DISC, which is not a standard system we can reset from GSX, it's something the Fenix should eventually reset on its own, by monitoring the involved GSX variables that are used to control that system and reset it if they go out of sync, for example because of a restart, which might not necessarily happen because of a crash or a bug: you might even restarted it yourself.