Author Topic: FSDT Updates through MSFS Addons Linker  (Read 2189 times)

Dane

FSDT Updates through MSFS Addons Linker
« on: February 22, 2022, 01:02:03 am »
I have a couple scenery products from FSDT (direct) and prior to me starting to use MSFS Addons Linker all the direct updates flowed through normally.

I am now curious as to when updates occur will the updates go into the appropriate Addons Linker folders that I have established?
How can I be assured that the updates are going through?
Can I force FSDT to the folder I want the update to go to?

Attached is a screen print of an update I tried to do but I cannot find the update in the appropriate Addons Linker folder...
Regards,
Dane

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSDT Updates through MSFS Addons Linker
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2022, 03:09:07 am »
I don't know what do you mean with "appropriate Addons Linker folder", the one in your screenshots don't seem to be links, but rather real folders, which defeat the purpose of using the Addon Linker to begin with.

Not only that, by creating a real folder in the Community folder, you'll lose the ability to update, since the program will ONLY update in the ADDON MANAGER folder because, a proper FSDT installation is made this way, with the scenery linked TO the Community folder.

Basically, our installed already do what most people use the Addon Linker for ( creating a symbolic link in the Community to something that is installed elsewhere ), so no Addon Linker is even required to begin with and, it seems you reversed the process and used the Addon Linker to converted a scenery which was already installed in the "appropriate" way by our installer, into one that stays in the Community folder for real so, the opposite of what you'd normally use the Addon Linker for, which wasn't required to begin with.

So, remove every "real" FSDT folder now, install in the proper way ( which now can be done with JUST the Universal Installer ), and don't touch anything. You MUST remove any real copy of the folder in the Community, if you don't the installer won't be able to create a Symbolic link.

If you need to momentarily disable the scenery, the Universal Installer can do exactly that as well so, there's no need to do anything else with the Addon Linker.

Can I force FSDT to the folder I want the update to go to?

No, you can't and you shouldn't, because the way our sceneries for MSFS are installed is already the "Addon Linker way", without any need to use the Addon Linker, and all our installers/updaters only works on the Addon Manager folder, and that's the proper way, the Community folder shouldn't contain any actual files, that's why people use the Addon Linker, but we always installed that way, even before the Addon Linker ever existed.

Dane

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 06:32:58 am »
Thanks for your very prompt and in-depth answer.  I now understand how your installer works.
Regards,
Dane

skysurfer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 05:29:39 pm »
So the way I read all this is better not to use Addons Linker with FSDT because the Universal Installer does what Addons Linker does. Correct? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 11:33:57 am »
So the way I read all this is better not to use Addons Linker with FSDT because the Universal Installer does what Addons Linker does. Correct?

Exactly, the whole point of the the Addons Linker is to convert addons to the Symbolic link usage method, which how we install everything by default anyway.

ardove

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 11:15:43 am »
For increasing numbers with very many sceneries (i.e. your best customers ;) management of Community folder is quite a hot topic and so it was gratifying to finally discover a thread where you thoroughly explain by way of video how to unlink  https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/615114-new-fsdt-installer/

My suggestion would be that in the next version of your excellent FSDT installer tool, move unlink to its own button - no longer conflate it with (and behind) uninstall button. It is no more part of uninstall then deactivate and concealing behind uninstall obfuscates and complicates both features with yes/no questions (btw cancel should also be an option there - for the mildly bewildered :) ). Other than this aspect I find your live update a versatile and easy to use tool and thank you for it.