Products Support > GSX Support MSFS

Sim Update 12 and GSX - BIG Improvements

<< < (2/8) > >>

HeicoH:
What is SU12 Navadata API option good for except for locating jetways at Standard Microsoft/Asobo and 3rd party Marketplace bought airports? If there is no other use for it, how can I disabled it?

virtuali:

--- Quote from: HeicoH on March 22, 2023, 07:53:10 am ---What is SU12 Navadata API option good for except for locating jetways at Standard Microsoft/Asobo and 3rd party Marketplace bought airports? If there is no other use for it, how can I disabled it?
--- End quote ---

And why you would want to go back to the legacy "airport cache" method, which would:

- slow down the startup

- have to be regenerated each time you install/remove a scenery

- affected by any possible issues in your Community folder, like file access problems, possibly corrupted files or just not finding the right .BGL ?

- not future-proof, because it relied opening a non-officially documented file format, which can possibly change at any time ( it has already changed several times since MSFS came out ) ?

While in the SU10 version of the Navdata, it might have been useful to disable it if you didn't use Marketplace airports, because by reading the .BGL we had jetways working a bit better, because at least we could read their positions from the .BGL, which we couldn't in SU10, with SU12 we can, and we also get even more data than we ever had ( even from the .BGL ), because the issues with jetways were not just caused by not finding them ( that was just one of the issues ) but also not being able to detect their status reliably and not knowing where the jetway went after it animated, which caused passengers in the air each the jetway didn't go to the Main Exit.

Since SU12 fixes all of that, it doesn't really makes sense to disable it.

The only side effect of using the Navdata, is that if you use a GSX custom profile, you must to be sure it's for the correct scenery you have installed at the time, since we can no longer associate a .BGL with an .INI, only the ICAO code matters, so you need to be sure the profile you use was made for that scenery.

RogePete:
There may be one scenario where cache setting had it's advantages.
I made a profile for an addon airport. The original bgl file of this airport was kinda crappy. For example they didn't connect any of the stands with a taxiway. So GSX did read them as separated stands and wouldn't work with this airport at all.
I took a workaround by creating a new/modified bgl with all stands connected (to copy it into the profile folder and let the profile AFCAD path point to this new bgl file). This worked.
With the cache setting deactivated now, I presume that GSX will use the (bad) original bgl file of the airport developer again... and will stop working with this airport again.
Or am I wrong?

virtuali:

--- Quote from: RogePete on March 22, 2023, 10:58:09 am ---With the cache setting deactivated now, I presume that GSX will use the (bad) original bgl file of the airport developer again... and will stop working with this airport again.
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is correct and, in fact, having a customized .BGL is the only feature we lose when using Navdata.

However, if the scenery AFCAD is really bad, it might be better to simply put your fixed version directly in the scenery package in the Community folder, so its correct data won't be used just be GSX ( through Navdata ), but the whole simulator, including AI, which will also benefit from your fixes.

RogePete:
Yeah, but that would produce copyright issues, I think. So I made a bgl only with the taxiways, stands, etc. to be able to publish it. Putting this in the scenery folder would create an airport without objects.

By the way, I also don't see any pax leaving the plane (stairs) with the new update (a32NX, at Corfu FlyTampa).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version