Author Topic: Scenery Suggestion regarding resolution and LOD options 4 different computers  (Read 3980 times)

tnorton776

In my opinion, current runway textures are a bit toned down a little too far in FSDT airports, and my suggestion is to please give runways slightly higher resolution and more detailed textures plz such as REX level of detail tire markings, etc. Would be nice, thanks! I am enjoying FSDT airports overall but I have to admit they are pretty low res in some spots and i am more fond of the detailed textures found on REX runways. 

I suppose the no. 1 reason ppl want fsdt to tone down the resolution and texture detail is cause of " FPS"... well im comming from a computer that doesnt have FPS issues so take that into account when reading this post.  Perhaps there could be a level of detail selector that can cater to both people with good computers, and to those with computers that arent so good? I get around 50 FPS full FSX settings at PHNL airport. Thanks,

Tom norton

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
In my opinion, current runway textures are a bit toned down a little too far in FSDT airports, and my suggestion is to please give runways slightly higher resolution

That's not the current opinion of most users.

Which instead of asking for greater resolution, since the current one is just fine, they asked for texture resizers, which lower the resolution, in order to give an even smoother flight.

And no, we are already using the maximum resolution available, which is 1024x1024.

Yes, it's possible to use up to 4096x4096 but, first it needs some hack in order to keep the setting into fsx.cfg (up to a point that, a common freeware utility that does it, use an horrific method of keep rewriting the fsx.cfg file *every* second, which is nonsense...).

and more detailed textures plz such as REX level of detail tire markings, etc.

It's too easy to enhance resolution on default airports, where the fps is very high. Very different than having to do it for addon airports which are 10x more detailed and sometimes (like JFK) lie in an area that is already slow without even the airport...

I suppose the no. 1 reason ppl want fsdt to tone down the resolution and texture detail is cause of " FPS"... well im comming from a computer that doesnt have FPS issues so take that into account when reading this post.

Perhaps there could be a level of detail selector that can cater to both people with good computers, and to those with computers that arent so good? I get around 50 FPS full FSX settings at PHNL airport.

You surely don't have 50 fps with a PMDG 747...which is the whole meaning of the entire issue: we COULD increase the graphic load of our sceneries, disrespecting entirely that there's not JUST our scenery that is running, which is something that other developers like to do.

Instead, we need to take into account there are fps eaters out there, that people like to use, so we need to keep the fps impact as low as possible because, when users of those "fps monsters" try our scenery, the fps will stil flyable, even if most of the performances was already lost because of the "other" addon.

So no, we are not going to increase resolution. Instead, we'll have more advanced materials in the next sceneries, which usually give the same visual effect of having increased the resolution, without the associated performance hit.

sjt375

• Flight Director
take a look at their new ground and texture style in the developers backdoor-DFW.  They are improving their ground textures

LCSims

... disrespecting entirely that there's not JUST our scenery that is running, which is something that other developers like to do.

Umberto, that's one of the best lines from a developer that I've ever seen. It's also a philosophy I try and practice.

I do some beta testing for another developer (no names) and the last product will task a brand new, high end system. When FPS were brought up the response was it ran smooth enough on an i7 cpu. With a default Cessna and no AI added in.

Simmers go ga ga over an airport that has a 7cm background. I can make a product with 7cm statewide coverage, coupled with 60cm mesh resolution. But how is anyone going to be able to tell if their system is showing 7cm and 60cm, instead of 30cm and 2.38m? There is no method to have a system proclaim at what LOD it is now rendering, that I'm aware of. Unless you draw numbers on each photo texture tile... ;D

I have Honolulu, I have an add on business jet that is very high end and I have a traffic add on. With my old system I could run one of the three. Two would taxi it too heavily. Three would make things a slide-show. But now I have a current system, that needs a little tweaking to be able to run all three quite nicely. Different systems, different needs from the same product.

Looking forward to some more Hawaiian splendor from FSDT!