Author Topic: JUST FYI: Wrong Signs  (Read 6282 times)

JamesChams

JUST FYI: Wrong Signs
« on: February 13, 2010, 06:50:01 am »
Virtuali/FSDT Dev.'s,

I just thought that I should mention this and hope you don't mind adding it to your "MUST FIX NEXT" list... because I'm pretty sure the airport authority at Honolulu didn't make any mistakes there and it would be nice to have the FSDT one reflect that as well.

On Taxiway RA, for Runway Approach Hold Position signs for 4R & 4L, are NOT the correct use of these signs.
eg. (Pic below: "FSDT_PHNL_v1.0_Wrong_Signs")

Also, here is a real-world example (at another airport) of what it should look like by correct FAA usage...
eg. (Pic below: "Correct_Sign_Eg.jpg") Image courtesy of AOPA

Grazie! :)
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

JamesChams

Re: JUST FYI: Wrong Signs
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 02:41:22 am »
Virtuali,

v1.02 has NOT fixed this issue. :'( If your wondering "Why" this is so important???

...  because the sign that you are using indicates that the Runway(s) is/are directly infront of the hold-short line and the taxiway is connected directly to them; which is NOT correct, since its actually perpendicular to taxiway RA but NOT connected to it directly.  If you are taxiing like your supposed to (using the Airport Diagram and Signs), you would think you're lost, when in actuality the FSDT "FAA-Design" Team :P-up'ed. ::)  Also, since Only Runway 4R has an ILS you might want to check and see if there is an ILS Hold painted on the ground near the 4R hold-short location of taxiway RA.  That is primarily why these signs are on Taxiway RA; to allow proper reception of ILS equipment during an approach and keep taxi-ing aircraft off the approach-end of an incoming aircraft (incased it would crash into the ground, etc.).  So, perhaps you now see its importance ???

Hopefully this gets fixed in the next update. :(
"Walk with the wise and become wise; associate with fools and get in trouble.” (Prov.13:20 NIV)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 12:43:15 pm »
v1.02 has NOT fixed this issue

Nowhere we said it would...

We simply don't have any more texture space available, and it would be wrong for performance reasons, to add a new texture, which adds a new material (every material used is an fps drop) just for a sign.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:45:25 pm by virtuali »

JamesChams

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 03:00:28 am »
Virtuali,
v1.02 has NOT fixed this issue

Nowhere we said it would...

Then perhaps this mislead me -> "- Some signs for Rwy 4L corrected." ::)

...We simply don't have any more texture space available, and it would be wrong for performance reasons, to add a new texture, which adds a new material (every material used is an fps drop) just for a sign.
Well, I don't doubt you have your reasons for what and why you do things; but as far as maintaining your bragging rights on "How good your support is, etc." and doing projects that are authentic and photorealistic, this is really a small price to pay for a correct representation for functionality, wouldn't you agree?

If not, then consider the fact that the default FS library already contains the correct sign and, maybe, your team can use their "Dev.-Wizardry" and point the mapping-feature to the already existing sign in the default FS Library instead.  That would save you'll both the increased installer filesize, user-requests for a fix and, perhaps, FPS & time developing it...  A small price to pay and everyone gets happy! ;D

Well, think about it some more...

Grazie! :)
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:21:36 am »
Then perhaps this mislead me -> "- Some signs for Rwy 4L corrected." ::)

There were other errors, and were not even related to vertical signs, but there were some ground signs that were labeled wrong. Those I considered real errors (strange you didn't noticed them, and noticed this one instead), what you are reporting is really minor comparing to what was fixed already.

If not, then consider the fact that the default FS library already contains the correct sign and, maybe, your team can use their "Dev.-Wizardry" and point the mapping-feature to the already existing sign in the default FS Library instead.

We might look into this, provided that it wouldn't look to out of place together with the other signs. Only the texture, of course, we'll keep using our 3d model.

However, we would ideally need a little bit more things to do, before releasing another update. Right now, first priority is to to the FS9 version of the update, second priority is to do the other 2 Hawaii airports.

We consider PHNL to be reasonably stable now, and the comments we are getting so far about the update, only confirm this. Which doesn't mean the scenery can't be improved: everything can be improved forever, for that matters, and it will never be perfect in any case.

JamesChams

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 12:59:35 am »
Virtuali/FSDT Dev.'s,

Between me reporting and You & the Staff fixing, you'll have done "Real Good" with the updates to this request. :D  See, it wasn't that difficult... ;) ;D

Grazie Mille! 8)

OK, One other small request... (Please, see Pic "FSDT_PHNL_Hangers_or_Taxiways_Crocked.jpg") :)

Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
From,
  James F. Chams